The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

BMW Douchebags

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
These boosted low dispalcement engines of ours are crazy! Sure they don't launch great but at higher speeds we really hold our own. With the AT the 60-95 3rd gear pull is nuts, you just feel it dig deeper and deeper, and then when you think it can find no more power, it unlocks the converter at about 85mph, keeps spinning in 3rd, and launches you into 4th gear at 95 and keeps pulling to 120. Then at 120 the speedlimiter kicks in and you kick yourself because you keep forgetting to install that relay on the speed sensor.
There is a big difference in gearing between our cars but I very much agree with you about the acceleration from 60 on up to????... My 3rd gear plays out at a little past 80 and 4th just beyond 110 and it is still pulling hard after shifting to 5th.. It's weird that I don't know what it tops out at but the Mustang topped out at a lower speed than my car 3 times in a row... The last time I watched in the rear view mirror as I kept putting distance between his car and mine... I have heard people refer to the body on the Fits as being bricks and sails. It is a tall car but it is aerodynamically slick as far as I can tell.. It gains speed from 85 to 110 as easily as from 65 to 80... The top speed has been reset with the reflash on mine but I always seem to not be looking to see where the needle is and I've only hit the limiter once that I can recall.... How many 1500cc station wagons can very comfortably negotiate an uphill curve at 35% throttle in 5th gear at over 90 MPH? Boost junkie till the end!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by codenamezero
Fact that you drive in front of them real slow for no reason makes YOU a douchebag. You don't need to lower yourself to their level and please grow up. :P
Damn, and here I was thinking I was delivering divine justice. To be sure I don't drive around doing this to every BMW I see.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I love getting in front of them and driving really slow so they can read the huge "BUILT NOT BOUGHT" sticker on my hatch. Then slam the gas and say goodbye. I've found that I can destroy the x3, and x5, and Ill keep up with a 328i untill about 60 mph, at which point I start pulling away. x3 and x5 owners are some of the douchiest douchers of them all. I was on the highway screwing with one that cut me off. I caught up afterwards. He would try to pass me but then I would drop the hammer and he would end up falling behind me. Then I'd let off the gas, let him catch up and do it all over again, many lols were had.

What kind of fool would by an M3 now that the 2011 Mustang GT exists? Only a doucher of course. With the $25000 difference in price you could turn the GT into an even bigger monster. I mean twin-turbo, full race suspension, monster.

2011 BMW M3 Coupe vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT Comparison - Motor Trend

Also, leasing a bmw is exactly what makes them douchers.
Hmmm...I will just list my comments to this:

1. Does leasing a car in general make someone a doucher? Or, is it just people that lease BMWs?
2. BUILT NOT BOUGHT: In case you haven't noticed, not everyone is a mechanic. Some would rather purchase performance than attempt to build it theirself, and in the end have a non-warrantied, possibly unreilable, albeit fast, vehicle.
3. You put a huge sticker on your car??? Really? That, is awesome.
4. The 2011 Mustang truly is an awesome piece of engineering, however people have different levels of disposable income (although to disposble to some would not be disposable to others), as well as different interests, and may rather purchase the M3. Does this mean that everyone who disagrees with you is a doucher?
5. Regarding your road rage driving style, really, I think you need to grow up. Here is a link to news article on a recent road rage incident.

Gilbert road-rage killing: Police report reveals more details

Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
The leasing thing seems to be more that those who consider a BMW to be a statement that "they have arrived," can lease a BMW for about the same as financing a cheap ($18-20k) car. Lots of people lease because they always like to drive a new car, but far less in the cheaper segments because, frankly, nobody is going to be impressed that you own a new cheap car.

I would consider antagonizing other drivers with a "BUILT NOT BOUGHT" sticker pretty douchy though. Who are you trying to impress? Nobody is going to think "wow, what an awesome fellow" because you invested a bunch of money/time making an econobox faster. It's still wrong wheel drive, it still has a cheap interior, it still is less car than the BMW in almost every way.

Originally Posted by smaglik

1. Does leasing a car in general make someone a doucher? Or, is it just people that lease BMWs?
2. BUILT NOT BOUGHT: In case you haven't noticed, not everyone is a mechanic. Some would rather purchase performance than attempt to build it theirself, and in the end have a non-warrantied, possibly unreilable, albeit fast, vehicle.
4. The 2011 Mustang truly is an awesome piece of engineering, however people have different levels of disposable income (although to disposble to some would not be disposable to others), as well as different interests, and may rather purchase the M3. Does this mean that everyone who disagrees with you is a doucher?
5. Regarding your road rage driving style, really, I think you need to grow up. Here is a link to news article on a recent road rage incident.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
I would consider antagonizing other drivers with a "BUILT NOT BOUGHT" sticker pretty douchy though. Who are you trying to impress? Nobody is going to think "wow, what an awesome fellow" because you invested a bunch of money/time making an econobox faster. It's still wrong wheel drive, it still has a cheap interior, it still is less car than the BMW in almost every way.
It is still less of a car, but I am responsible for what it is now. The driver of the BMW can claim no responsibility for what his machine is, yet beats his chest like he built the damn thing himself. All the BMW driver did was buy it. What's so impressive about buying a car you can barely afford. As we know, wealthy people don't buy BMWs. People who spend all of their disposable income and have no net worth buy BMWs. That and the occasional gearhead. But the gearhead understands...

Old 05-14-2011, 04:42 PM
It is still less of a car, but I am responsible for what it is now. The driver of the BMW can claim no responsibility for what his machine is, yet beats his chest like he built the damn thing himself. All the BMW driver did was buy it. What's so impressive about buying a car you can barely afford. As we know, wealthy people don't buy BMWs. People who spend all of their disposable income and have no net worth buy BMWs. That and the occasional gearhead. But the gearhead understands...
Unless you built the fit from scratch, you are not completly responsible for it. You may think you are, but you are not.

The insight you think you have is outstanding!

Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member

Wow! So much ground to cover! Alright, let's give this a shot.

1. I am referring to a specific group of people, the car they lease is not super important but it is usually an entry level luxury car. These individuals are committing to a never ending cycle of debt, but flaunt their vehicle like they personally designed it. They see their vehicle as a reflection of their social status and think they are emulating the rich (but as we all know the rich who actually have a net worth proportional to their income don't waste all of their disposable income on consumer items, they buy Toyotas). So it would be absurd for me to say all BMW leasers are douchers. Unless we were posting in a wasteland thread in a Honda fit forum. In that case I would say all BMW drivers are douchers.

2. I'm not a mechanic either, I'm an insurance agent licensed in 31 states. Returning again to the aforementioned social status douchebag, the built not bought sticker is not there to impress him. His worldview is so convoluted that nothing could impress him but his reflection. It's there to remind him that there are people who do not respect his worldview. The real purpose of the sticker is to attract other gear-heads, they usually ask "so what's 'built' on this car?" It's a testament to the DIY ethic.

3. Yep, you can see it in my "there's a little rice in all of us thread'

4. Nope, it just means there will be an even stronger correlation between diving a new m3 and being a douchebag since there is such a close competitor at a much better price point. Sure, there are still some gearheads that will buy it, but it'll be fewer than ever. Unless I was on a fitfreak wasteland thread, in which case everyone with a new m3 is a doucher.

5. I can actually count the number of times this has happened on one hand. I am what I deem 'respectfully aggressive' I am not that ricer you saw on the way home from work cutting everyone off. I do not take an aggressive action unless there is an out for me and the other driver. I am fully aware of the risks of provoking already demonstrably careless aggressive drivers but my tolerance for risk is high.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Unless you built the fit from scratch, you are not completly responsible for it. You may think you are, but you are not.

The insight you think you have is outstanding!
Haha, indeed, I merely "stand on the shoulders of giants". I am rebuilding one from scratch (I have an extra l15a7 on a stand right now, everything down to the crank off) but that's not the same as designing it, which exactly why I take pride in the design of my turbo application. Still, at least I'm not one of those 3 series leasin', mcmansion ownin, douchers that don't know the line in the Starbucks drive-thru from a racing line or a half shaft from a camshaft. My signature says exactly how I feel.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 05-14-2011 at 06:16 PM.