Texas Fits, Anything goes thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
OK I was just wondering if you were doing something stupid on public roads. I also run snows in the winter so between two sets of tires I cannot see wear. Sure glad I sill have snows on as we got dumped on last night.
I'd still recommend getting your alignment checked at least to see if your toe is in spec. You may be able to do the front at least if you had a tape measure and a buddy to help hold it on the other side, the alignment specs should listed in the owners manual (for mine they were). I only noticed the strange wear pattern because of my tires being directional.

But in the words of Forest Gump, "Stupid is as what stupid does." I don't to do any spirited driving or use any techniques to get the car sideways (IE: E-braking, Scandinavian flick, etc) in city limits, areas with pedestrians and traffic just for the heck of it. That is just plain dangerous and if one were to crash they risk putting others at risk or even initiating/holding a controlled slide they could cause other traffic to swerve and injury themselves and others. There are plenty of abandoned parking lots as well as backroads with little to no traffic/houses in the country side.

The only way I'd even think to apply any technique is if there is someone who blindly pulls out in front of me from a driveway or parking and I can't brake in time to stop from hitting them. Then I'm either going to try my best to pass cleanly (no slip angle) in the other lane, dart over to the shoulder and slow down, or as a last resort to pitch it sideways evade and adjust my speed to were its for me to control the car.

Now, I will admit that I'm not a saint when it comes the country backroads here and I will man up for the consequences of my actions if anything were to go wrong. The sections without any houses or traffic around I have and will drive spiritedly on. As soon as I see/feel that there is traffic, live animals, houses near by I will shut it down and drive the posted limit until the traffic/animal is out of the way or the next unpopulated area. No, I am not saying this to exempt myself from being deemed "stupid" for my act because lets face it, it still is. But I will try my best to try to reduce any potential risks as best I as can.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
@ Hootie -WORD... I agree completely with your statement. I too may at times partake in a calculated risk situation which may otherwise be deemed stupid, but I too enjoy spirited driving.

-Ray

Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ray731
@ Hootie -WORD... I agree completely with your statement. I too may at times partake in a calculated risk situation which may otherwise be deemed stupid, but I too enjoy spirited driving.

-Ray
I kind of have a reputation for going completely out of my mind on some of the back roads around here... I have had to get some people drunk before they would let me take them for a ride in my Fit... More modifications are on the way but no one around needs to know about that or it will only me and Duke the cow dog that get in the thing.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
I used to think back roads were fun too.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Joe, if I was 30 years younger and had the extra cash that you do I would be out on a track with you.. I did race on the cross country motorcycle circuit when I was in my late 30s but I was spending too much time in emergency rooms and was always to messed up from injuries to be competitive so got into blasting around the lake I lived at on a Jet Ski.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
DONT BLAME IT ON AGE! I would say 75% of the member with thedriversedge.net are 50 years old plus. bunch of older gentlemen that are fast as hell. TC, come to an event 1 time with me. you will love it and it will be your new addiction.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
I'd still recommend getting your alignment checked at least to see if your toe is in spec. You may be able to do the front at least if you had a tape measure and a buddy to help hold it on the other side, the alignment specs should listed in the owners manual (for mine they were). I only noticed the strange wear pattern because of my tires being directional.

But in the words of Forest Gump, "Stupid is as what stupid does." I don't to do any spirited driving or use any techniques to get the car sideways (IE: E-braking, Scandinavian flick, etc) in city limits, areas with pedestrians and traffic just for the heck of it. That is just plain dangerous and if one were to crash they risk putting others at risk or even initiating/holding a controlled slide they could cause other traffic to swerve and injury themselves and others. There are plenty of abandoned parking lots as well as backroads with little to no traffic/houses in the country side.

The only way I'd even think to apply any technique is if there is someone who blindly pulls out in front of me from a driveway or parking and I can't brake in time to stop from hitting them. Then I'm either going to try my best to pass cleanly (no slip angle) in the other lane, dart over to the shoulder and slow down, or as a last resort to pitch it sideways evade and adjust my speed to were its for me to control the car.

Now, I will admit that I'm not a saint when it comes the country backroads here and I will man up for the consequences of my actions if anything were to go wrong. The sections without any houses or traffic around I have and will drive spiritedly on. As soon as I see/feel that there is traffic, live animals, houses near by I will shut it down and drive the posted limit until the traffic/animal is out of the way or the next unpopulated area. No, I am not saying this to exempt myself from being deemed "stupid" for my act because lets face it, it still is. But I will try my best to try to reduce any potential risks as best I as can.
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I kind of have a reputation for going completely out of my mind on some of the back roads around here... I have had to get some people drunk before they would let me take them for a ride in my Fit... More modifications are on the way but no one around needs to know about that or it will only me and Duke the cow dog that get in the thing.
Good to hear Hootie. I will consider the alignmnet when I take it in to have wheels switched over to summer ones.

So some reasonable driving not like that Old Wily Coyote person.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
congrats to Marcus for yet another WIN at IR 2011. I would have been there if it weren't for the turtoise i hit the week before...it literally cracked my CF lip in 1/2 (I have the worst luck driving in Tomball...sigh*)

Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Frank. And if anyone wanted to see the coverage I did, its here....
Import Reactor/Anime Matsuri 2011 - a set on Flickr

Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
on stance:Nation from IR2011

Just thought you'd be interested

I believe there is a nice pic of your car in the set too Jason
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shoryuu...7626198895275/

Last edited by bigtoepfer; 03-26-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
I would have been there. But I got food poisoning or something the day before so I was sick all weekend. SUCKS.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Hope everyone is having a good week. So far so good for me... New tires! Yay! Falken Ziex ZE-512 215/45ZR17. Oh and found out my wheels are heavier that first thought. 28lbs! damn...

Here's what she looks like with the new tires!

-Ray

Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
need to find a way to get that rear end down

Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=Ray731;977772]Hope everyone is having a good week. So far so good for me... New tires! Yay! Falken Ziex ZE-512 215/45ZR17. Oh and found out my wheels are heavier that first thought. 28lbs! damn...

Here's what she looks like with the new tires!

I love the way it looks. If the wheels alone weigh 28 Lbs I am afraid you are not going to like them to much in time My wheels and tires are about 28 1/2Lbs and wheels and tires that weigh 5 lbs more than that have a negative effect on acceleration, ride, and handling... The addition of offset of the same wheels accentuated torque steer when on the throttle also.. The wheel I had were also 7 spokes, the same color and on my silver car and look very nice to me.. I had worn out the front tires and put my lighter wheels and tires back on and was unhappy with the looks but I really like the positive differences I can feel when I drive it.... I just don't turn around to look at it as much when walking away.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
@ TC - I've had the wheels since before the car. I understand what you mean and plan next year to do new wheels/tires and coil-overs. I was just trying to clean it up a bit for now.
Link to new wheels I'm considering: Drag DR-9 14lbs for 15" and 16lbs for 16" The size will depend on what tires I can find...

@ bigtoepfer - I increased the tire size to close to gap I had. It worked out great up front. The rear gap isn't bad either but because the wheels are in the opening more the gap is still noticeable. I was told a 5mm spacer will bring it flush and look more like the front. The only way to bring it down more is coil-overs which as stated above will be coming next year.

-Ray

Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
oh must have missed the coil over announcement. I fixed my rear tire gap with heavy stereo equipment. LOL.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigtoepfer
oh must have missed the coil over announcement. I fixed my rear tire gap with heavy stereo equipment. LOL.
No you didn't miss it. I said above as in my comment to Texas Coyote

I do have a box with 2 12's and an amp sitting in the garage... That might do until I start playing with performance stuff...

-Ray

Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
I've had just about every setup imaginable in my car. From 2-8" to 1-18" as far as the subs go

Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Lowering Job

Would anyone be interested in helping me lower my car this weekend or the next? This will be a paid job. You provide all the tools, including the spring compressor (or some sort of vice) and I'll drive there.

Or does anyone know any reputable shops to get it done at? Preferably in the north Ft. Worth and North Richland Hills area. Let me know, thanks.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
Would anyone be interested in helping me lower my car this weekend or the next? This will be a paid job. You provide all the tools, including the spring compressor (or some sort of vice) and I'll drive there.

Or does anyone know any reputable shops to get it done at? Preferably in the north Ft. Worth and North Richland Hills area. Let me know, thanks.
hey man. I am more than happy to help you. I have access to a huge 4 bay shop and 4 lifts and full of snapon tools. (where i do all my work). If you can come in to tyler tomorrow (Friday )evening around 6 to 7pm I can do this for you. Let me know asap so i can make plans. (I cant do it sat or sun, texas-racing meet sat and a birthday, then honda-tech meet sunday )

just reply here or PM me. I check this forum a lot.

Quick Reply: Texas Fits, Anything goes thread