A Spec Products.com
With over 10 years of experience in the automotive import aftermarket industry, A Spec has been at the forefront of developing new products for new and upcoming platforms such as the new Honda Fit. Located in the heart of Southern California, we are official distributors for many high end Japanese aftermarket products from manufacturers such as Volk Racing, Work Wheels, Bride, ARC, Endless etc. as well as other high end non-Japanese aftermarket products such as Recaro, Nardi, Personal etc. Our tuning philosophy is toward the true heart of performance. We tend to focus on those parts that provide an overall performance increase to whatever vehicle you drive.

A Spec Cold-Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, how about this then...where does the stock airbox draw air from? Does it have a hose that runs down below the engine like on my Grand Am? If so, I don't see how it could be any worse than the setup on any other car as far as taking in water spray or anything. Also, is this an oiled air filter like a K&N that will be resistant to allowing water to come in?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by BigBadMadMan
Ok, how about this then...where does the stock airbox draw air from? Does it have a hose that runs down below the engine like on my Grand Am? If so, I don't see how it could be any worse than the setup on any other car as far as taking in water spray or anything. Also, is this an oiled air filter like a K&N that will be resistant to allowing water to come in?
I think your really wayy over thinking this, becuase if you just get a Drop-in filter then it would be stock piping, box, hose, and etc...

Even if the K&N filter did leak water into the engine, those cheap Fram ones from the dealership would do the same?

As for the OEM airbox draw air form "looks like it comes from the inside the splash guard, and the back of the headlight area"

As for the A Spec intake it sit infront of the Transmission.

Let me know,
Thanks,
TUAN @ A Spec.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Ya, I think I'm probably way over-thinking it as well. I just want to make sure I'm entirely safe. I know I won't be driving it through deep water or anything, but I don't want normal spray to cause any problems or anything. I'll probably end up getting it just the same, as I'm not going to spend money with K&N for their drop-in after the problems people here are having with their short ram intake.

Any chance you might offer up a cut-down version of the pipe with a bypass valve as a package sometime in the future for us paranoid guys? lol

Basically, the price is right...and I'm only clearing up any last-minute reservations I might have before my purchase...

Old 04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned
Ya, I think I'm probably way over-thinking it as well. I just want to make sure I'm entirely safe. I know I won't be driving it through deep water or anything, but I don't want normal spray to cause any problems or anything. I'll probably end up getting it just the same, as I'm not going to spend money with K&N for their drop-in after the problems people here are having with their short ram intake.

Any chance you might offer up a cut-down version of the pipe with a bypass valve as a package sometime in the future for us paranoid guys? lol

Basically, the price is right...and I'm only clearing up any last-minute reservations I might have before my purchase...
Ill just put a grinder to it, To make it into a short ram. And I can make the option to have a cold air and short ram as well, (by just adding a coupler to it, but I'm not sure if I have a Coupler in the warehouse to give it to you)

I just PM'ed you for details.

Thanks,
TUAN @ A Spec.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
My Aspec exhaust and intake are on the FedEx truck for delivery sometime today. I swear I'm like a kid on the night before Christmas! I'll update after I get them on tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned
post pictures if you can, if you dont have a host anywhere, email me pictures. TUAN@ASPECPRODUCTS.COM

Thanks!
TUAN @ A Spec.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I have a good news/bad news situation to report.

Good news is, stuff came in, intake is on.

Bad news, FedEx f**ked up my exhaust by dropping it on the tip...now I've got a slightly bent tip. Disappointing for sure, but Tuan is working the customer service angle trying to find out how we go about getting this resolved with FedEx. I highly doubt I'll end up with 2 mufflers after this is all worked out, but that also means that I won't be able to put this one on until FedEx reimburses somebody here.

Eh, if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Intake sounds great so far. Around 3K you can really hear it growling. I've noticed a slight increase in the power as well. Just can't wait to get the exhaust on.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned
how did the exhuast go?

Thanks,
TUAN @ A Spec.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Exhaust went great. I'm gonna go wash it today and possibly take a few pics. The exhaust was easier to install than the intake which was a breeze in and of itself.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:47 PM
its great customer service like this that makes me want to buy your products in the near future. keep up the great work!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned
Exhaust went great. I'm gonna go wash it today and possibly take a few pics. The exhaust was easier to install than the intake which was a breeze in and of itself.
Good stuff mang. Yeah really 2 bolts, and 2 rubber hanger. (if you guys have problems installing or pulling off rubber hanger, grab a WD40 spray the ends with one light spray and it will slide out with easeeee!) Less then 5mins of work.

I had a customer pretty much drive down from San Diego, and I offered if he wanted to bolt it on for the drive back home. He said yeah I was going to ask you that, I was 2 steps ahead of him hhaha, so he pretty much pulled it out 5mins in and out, drove home with it on! haha Good stuff.

Its my job to help you guys!

Thanks for your business guys, and your questions and concerns!

Thanks,
TUAN @ A Spec.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by david04
its great customer service like this that makes me want to buy your products in the near future. keep up the great work!
Thank you, its not much from me, cuz its my job haha.

Thanks for your support!

Tuan @ A Spec.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
I have to agree with david04. You guys do a great job with your product and your customer sevice. My order of springs and an exhaust arrived very fast given the fact I am on the east coast. All parts were packed with care and made it in one piece. Now all I need is the Honda Fit I ordered so I can actually bolt these baby's on! Maybe Honda can take a lesson on speedy delivery from Aspec!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Never had a problem with my intake in rain. FL loves to rain also. I drive my car like a car should be driven; normally. I do try to avoid big puddles but I have yet to have a problem with my intake and water. At times Ill take her through touchfree carwashes with underbody jets. No problems. The motor doesnt suck up that much air anyway IMO to cause a problem.

I still love my CAI. HOWEVER, the bottom mount/arm that runs from the transmission to the lower half of the intake for support broke on my intake.

I think it was due to me driving the hell out of my car. When I drive hard she gets a beating. Kinda sad.
Its rare, I treat her like a daily with some race thrown in. hehe

Old 06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by david04
That's exactly right. Good customer service is so rare nowadays that I want to be SURE to really plug a company that has great customer support. Like Tuan said, it's just part of the job...however not many sales people treat it as such anymore. I'm away from my baby (Fit) for the next 2 months, but I know that when I get back home it'll be like the first day I got her all over again...with a few upgrades, of course!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Never had a problem with my intake in rain. FL loves to rain also. I drive my car like a car should be driven; normally. I do try to avoid big puddles but I have yet to have a problem with my intake and water. At times Ill take her through touchfree carwashes with underbody jets. No problems. The motor doesnt suck up that much air anyway IMO to cause a problem.

I still love my CAI. HOWEVER, the bottom mount/arm that runs from the transmission to the lower half of the intake for support broke on my intake.

I think it was due to me driving the hell out of my car. When I drive hard she gets a beating. Kinda sad.
Its rare, I treat her like a daily with some race thrown in. hehe
Is this my intake?

Please let me know,
Thanks,
Tuan @ A Spec.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned
Thank you everyone for your comment, much appreciated!

I got great customers!

Thanks!
Tuan @ A Spec.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Yes its an Aspec intake. Dont worry about it, it doesnt bother me. The top bracket that says "aspec" is still there.
Thats the one that counts.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 PM
May 2007 Fit of the Month Winner.
Cool My A Spec CAI Install

I won the May Fit Freak of the Month and finally have the photos of the installation. Thanks Tuan for sending me the CAI instead of the strut bars.

I am a hack mechanic so pardon my word use as I may not call every part by its correct name.

Minimal tools are required: 10 mm socket with extension, slotted screw driver and a pair of pliers to slide off the OEM hose clamp.

I didn't take a shot of the OEM air box because you all have one to look at.

Remove the stock air box by removing the two mounting bolts (they loosen but stay attached to the air box). You also have to remove the sensor at the top by unclipping it from the air box. Save the rubber grommet for later use in the CAI. You have to slide the air box to the right, very close to the battery to get it to come off. The OEM intake also needs to be removed from where it attaches to the inside fender area. My memory is a little foggy on the air box removal because I just started loosening bolts and gently pulling the parts out. My two year old was assisting so I had to work quick.

The below photo is with the air box off and the red rubber coupler installed. About 1000 miles on the car so the engine is still pretty clean.

Next, insert the grommet from the air box into the mounting hole in the CAI.

Now insert the sensor into the grommet.

Attach the air filter to the CAI pipe. Now feed the CAI into the engine compartment and line up the mounting flanges on the CAI with the original mounting posts. Use the included bolts to attach.

Next, slide the CAI into the red rubber coupler. Tighten the hose clamps and attach the sensor. The wire is a bit short but it reaches.

Now attach the red hose to the thing-a-ma-jig below and the other end to the CAI pipe. Tighten the hose clamps.

Here's the finished installation. Everything fit well and I had no extra parts....which is rare for me.

Driving impressions....

Generally the sound is OK to my ears. I didn't really know what to expect so I am still getting used to it. I am 42 so I suspect if I was 20 the sound would be just about perfect. There is a bit of a buzz at 75 to 80 but I have not taken a long trip to see if it bugs me. The sound is pretty quiet below 3000 rpm, but ramps up quckly after that.

I'd like to say the butt dyno can tell the difference but I still have not really wound it up too much as the car is still pretty new.

I have a long trip planned in two weeks so I can better report how I like it after spending 15 hours driving to PA and back to Detroit. I have only used about a half a tank of gas so I can't really report on mileage. This will be a tough call as I was using higher revs for the first few days of use. Lately I have been trying to shift around 3000 rpm so we'll see how it goes.

All-in-all I would say the CAI adds a nice sound around town and the installation was very easy. If my MPG does not suffer too much I will be very happy.

Paul

Quick Reply: A Spec Cold-Air Intake