WTB: cheap road bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
WTB: cheap road bike

just something to get to and from the grocery store and 7eleven slurpy runs.

please PM if you've got one lying around or know someone that knows someone that knows someone. thanks for your time!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
craigslist my friend theres a billion out there.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
ohh, trust me dude. i've been looking and have contacted a few sellers within my budget but it's been over a week and haven't received any responses/call-backs.. i know my chances of finding one here are pretty slim but i do know that there are a few riders on here and thought that they might have a spare bike or friend who's trading up that wants to sell one. only one way to find out

Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
haha whatcha looking for like an older road bike? i ride an old schiwwn i love it.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
I called a guy about a HAYAN 12 speed road bike and another guy about a 3 speed nikita. there's another guy in north hollywood selling a bike from japan for super cheap (needs work) but I'm hesitant to contact him cause there's no call back number or personal email -- thinkin' it's just spam :/

Old 06-08-2010, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
Just email the craigslist anonomous email adress I usuallydont post up my email or number for everyone to see

Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
I've tried that in the past and it's been hit or miss. sometimes it's spam and other times it's not. at least with the personal email ads it's certain that I'll reach an actual seller.. anyway, I think I've found a bike! a seller in Carson has a schwinn le tour that I'm going to check out this weekend. it's made in japan, JDM yo -_-

Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
save up. buy ruckus.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet
save up. buy ruckus.
i've wanted one for so long!! it'll be years before i can make another purchase like that *sigh*
thanks for the links, dan!
i was actually looking for a pedal bike

Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
oh shit..hhahahhahahahah. my bad dude. what is your price range?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
schwinn letour - nice! make sure its JDM i thougth my bike was JDM.. but no it was made in chicago.. can't go wrong with the old schwinns!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
oh shit..hhahahhahahahah. my bad dude. what is your price range?
cheap. like, struggling artist cheap. $200 max
Originally Posted by chrisng
schwinn letour - nice! make sure its JDM i thougth my bike was JDM.. but no it was made in chicago.. can't go wrong with the old schwinns!
yeah!
the seller's asking price is less than half my budget too. jdm or not, i'm pretty excited about it. i'm moving to a new area and the bike is so much more convenient, not to mention environmentally responsible -- er, hippy friendly.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
...damn seller flaked on me. still searching

Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
how tall are you? I can probably help....

Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
5"8.5 the last time i checked, although my legs are long enough to ride my father inlaw's 60cm frame mountain bike. thanks peter!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
5"8.5 the last time i checked, although my legs are long enough to ride my father inlaw's 60cm frame mountain bike. thanks peter!
ok... .you are about my hight...you would be looking for a 52 to 56cm frame and I would not recommend go any higher....l think I may have extra 52mm frame laying in my garage.... if not I could probably ask my teammate and see if he still has his old steel frame with carbon fork and it 27 speed and he selling it dirt cheap!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Legit2Fit
Best thing you can do is drive around on a Saturday afternoon in the suburbs and scope out some yard sales. I'm a huge fan of roadbikes, I've owned 3 different ones in the last couple years. I picked them all up for under $50 each at various yard sales because people just wanted them out of their garage.

I'll try and find some pics because when I finished refurbishing them, they all came out looking amazing. I strip the bike down to the frame, sand all the major parts, and go crazy with some colorful spray paint. Everything that's polished alluminum gets rubbed with a metal sponge to bring the shine back and remove the rust. Wheels get sanded and painted. I take out the curved bars and usually throw on some mountain bike straight bars. I remove the front brakes. For the seat, I pay this car interior place up the street $35 tp wrap it in leather.

Good luck in your quest! Don't be afraid to get creative!
sounds like fun! most (if not all) of the bikes in my price range need some tlc. stripping the bike down to the frame and restoring it looks like a fun project.

that just gave me an idea
thank for the help, 2legit! i'd rep you again but FF.net won't let me till i spread around the points

Originally Posted by azncarbos
ok... .you are about my hight...you would be looking for a 52 to 56cm frame and I would not recommend go any higher....l think I may have extra 52mm frame laying in my garage.... if not I could probably ask my teammate and see if he still has his old steel frame with carbon fork and it 27 speed and he selling it dirt cheap!
thanks for all the extra effort, peter! i think that's probably the best route for me since i'm a bike noob
wrenching on bikes 'looks' easy but anything that looks easy usually isn't lol

Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon

thanks for all the extra effort, peter! i think that's probably the best route for me since i'm a bike noob
wrenching on bikes 'looks' easy but anything that looks easy usually isn't lol
No worry, I'm here to help!

Working on bike is different work for me...but once you get it... it become easy and maintaining and caring for your bike is important to get the best performance out of the bike...If you need help on anything with the bike LMK.

before you know it... it may become a hobby and you will be riding long distant and racing.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
that's what i'm hoping i can get into! there's a group of riders in the valley that do weekly rides from porter ranch to north hollywood. some even do the entire ride on single speed or fixies

i'll start with something cheap. if i like it then i'll upgrade, if not then at least i've got a bike for emergency 7eleven slurpee runs haha.

i just joined up with bikeforums.net... i'm learning tons of stuff by surfing through their threads.

Quick Reply: WTB: cheap road bike