Skunk2 Racing

Skunk2 Racing has been pushing Hondas to go faster and handle better for over a decade. We've applied that experience to our latest project car the "Skunk2 Fit R". As we transformed the Fit into a beast, we developed an aftermarket arsenal for the Fit enthusiast. Our first release is the Skunk2 Lowering Spring but Keep your eyes on us for Fit exhaust, full coilovers and much more... 

skunk2 short throw shifter!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 AM
mine is supposed to show up today, w00t

Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Jumped on the ebay bandwagon since this kit seems to be getting decent reviews for the money (and I don't have a couple benjamins for the mugen kit)

Cheapest I could find with 49.99 plus 6.99 shipping.

Did it have a "Best offer" feature, you ask?

It most certainly Did!

What was my offer, you ask?

Not wanting to lowball at the risk of rejection but also wanting to take something of a risk, I offered 35.00 plus the 6.99 to ship.

What did they say? What did they say??

Should be getting the kit by sometime next week - 41.99 USD total
I'm thinking I could have managed an a couple bucks less maybe but since the demand is going up this was a superb deal nonetheless.

Anyone with pics of theirs or some DIYs I'd love to take a look!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 PM
jdm-in-stock or whatever?

they're good folks

btw...for the people still wandering if this is a good purchase...i gotta say....I FRIGGIN LOVE IT! For REAL too! it really made the car more fun to drive, as dumb as that sounds..it's 100% true.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:30 AM
got mine in yesterday and love it. I'm posting on my phone and don't wanna search if its been said but if people are having trouble with the white bushing thing on the shifter my friend found a easy soluton. use the closed end of a 16mm. slide it over and pry it off. easy as hell

Old 10-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Banned
Have they fixed the wrong sized lock washers in the kit problem yet?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Woo, got mine installed today. Busted my right thumb while trying to take off the white bushing though But I found if it is hard, just pull the shifter towards you like it is in 4th gear by moving the shift cable to the side and then you have a good angle with the screwdriver and a hammer to knock it out with a hit or 2. Lucky for those of you that had your bushing come out so easily. I got the loctite on the threads and shifter feels nice and firm. It does actually feel more positive when I shift gears. Loving it already. This is the best most cost effective short shift kit IMO.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Just finished my install - what a PAIN! Not only did the bushing give me grief, but so did the set screws. In the end I got a hold of similarly short same thread size small screws and used those. Knock on wood it's not coming off! I think someone else mentioned it, but I think screws would have been better - more leverage than using an allen wrench. Other than that, I like the initial feeling: 1st, 3rd, and 5th all feel much closer, neutral has less "openness" to it, and while 2nd and 4th feel like the same spot, they are much closer to the other gears. And I like that the shifter is closer to me.

Now, I need to find a new shift knob. I'm having trouble finding the greddy counterweighted one at a reasonable price. I want a ball shape shifter that will thread lower then the stock shift knob.
Any leads or recommendations from anyone?

I've heard voodoo has some good ones too...

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
Just finished my install - what a PAIN! Not only did the bushing give me grief, but so did the set screws. In the end I got a hold of similarly short same thread size small screws and used those. Knock on wood it's not coming off! I think someone else mentioned it, but I think screws would have been better - more leverage than using an allen wrench. Other than that, I like the initial feeling: 1st, 3rd, and 5th all feel much closer, neutral has less "openness" to it, and while 2nd and 4th feel like the same spot, they are much closer to the other gears. And I like that the shifter is closer to me.

Now, I need to find a new shift knob. I'm having trouble finding the greddy counterweighted one at a reasonable price. I want a ball shape shifter that will thread lower then the stock shift knob.
Any leads or recommendations from anyone?

I've heard voodoo has some good ones too...

Thanks!
the screws probably went in hard for you cuz they go in a downward slant, not horizontal

Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
No, it wasn't the case because I threaded them at the angle, not horizontally. I did a few test runs and even from the get go they went in only so far, maybe 2 or 3 twists and then wouldn't go any further. Luckily I have about a bazillion screws of different threads and lengths so I got something working.

Originally Posted by George02
the screws probably went in hard for you cuz they go in a downward slant, not horizontal

Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM
if you want a ball shift knob, get the one i bought!
it threads lower (i wanted it to actually be longer...oh well) and was $20 SHIPPED off honda-tech!

Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah that's what I was looking for, I just got one off ebay that is threaded for honda/acura (10x1.5) for 12 plus shipping. Its a no name brand, but it looks cool, and should sit roughly .5" to 1" lower than the stock shift knob. We'll see. Either way, it was a cheap-o, and at least it's not some lame universal fit with set screws. I'll post pics once I get it installed.
P.S. - GSR, your shift boot looks so low! how's that work?

I'm definitely diggin' the new skunk2 shifter kit though! I can tap the shifter into gear now, ha!

Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
if you want a ball shift knob, get the one i bought!
it threads lower (i wanted it to actually be longer...oh well) and was $20 SHIPPED off honda-tech!

Last edited by sevenaprils; 10-19-2007 at 02:30 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 10-19-2007, 02:33 PM
the shift boot is that low beacuse of the short shifter. it pushes the whole assembly up some, which is awesome

Old 10-19-2007, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
the shift boot is that low beacuse of the short shifter. it pushes the whole assembly up some, which is awesome
If you come to the Charlotte meet, remind me to check out your shifter... I'm not sold on this yet, and want to check one out first hand if you don't mind.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 PM
you'll want one, i PROMISE

i wans't sold...but, i figured, at this price...why not.

i'm GLAD i did

Old 10-25-2007, 04:22 AM
got mine today off ebay 30 shipped

Old 11-03-2007, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Got mine at ebay, offered $35 shipped. The white bushing took me awhile, other than that, everything is straight forward.

I noticed the shift shaft is slighty higher than before, shifting from 1st gear to 2nd, and from 3rd to 4th are shorter. However, 2nd to 3rd, and 4th to 5th doesn't seems to that big improvement. Is that just my feeling?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RubyQQ1211
Got mine at ebay, offered $35 shipped. The white bushing took me awhile, other than that, everything is straight forward.

I noticed the shift shaft is slighty higher than before, shifting from 1st gear to 2nd, and from 3rd to 4th are shorter. However, 2nd to 3rd, and 4th to 5th doesn't seems to that big improvement. Is that just my feeling?
Yeah I'd have to agree - the difference between the higher gears is subtle - but 1st to 2nd is definitely the biggest difference. However, i did find overall the movement itself between gears feels more precise. The OEM shifter was by no means clunky, like other makes typically are for the subcompact category - the Yaris is particularly, I thought, and the Versa's shifts are miles between one another...

I think overall it was a worthwhile improvement, especially for those of us who don't want to shell out 200+ for the Mugen set up (I am waiting to hear if anyone tries to put both kits together to maximize the shifts!)

Old 11-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Just ordered mine off ebay for $35 shipped. I hope it will make the daily driving more fun.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
Take some pictures... I installed mine... it was hard at 1st but after I seen how it was install, it was piece of cake... Been awhile so if u take a picture we can help... at least I can help =D

Old 12-16-2007, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
where can i get one... im so freaking late

Quick Reply: skunk2 short throw shifter!!!???