Skunk2 Racing

Skunk2 Racing has been pushing Hondas to go faster and handle better for over a decade. We've applied that experience to our latest project car the "Skunk2 Fit R". As we transformed the Fit into a beast, we developed an aftermarket arsenal for the Fit enthusiast. Our first release is the Skunk2 Lowering Spring but Keep your eyes on us for Fit exhaust, full coilovers and much more... 

skunk2 short throw shifter!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 AM
hey iheartgd3, mine is tight, maybe one of the 2 cables is not set right in the plastic holder/base?

Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davevm
hey iheartgd3, mine is tight, maybe one of the 2 cables is not set right in the plastic holder/base?
Yup , I double checked the set screws on the extension and it turns out that I didn't tighten it enough so the shifter came loose.

Let this be a lesson for the future owners, remember to put loctite on the set screws and to tighten it

Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by George02
cant wait to hear how it goes! been tempted to buy the mugen ss but just been waiting for you to see how it goes
Is you SS still good without the loctite? I just ordered mine, never used loctite in my life...

Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
you must use loctite.......

Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 AM
you must use loctite.......
Does everyone agree that the red loctite is a bit much?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by avosfit
Does everyone agree that the red loctite is a bit much?
blue loctite is more than enough

Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned
Are you ever going to take it out?? If you are use blue if not red is more permanent.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Thank you both 'Spon Fit' and 'Claymore' I'm can't say that I'll never take it out and couple it with the spoon short shifter or have another need to remove it so I am going to stick with the 'blue loctite' As always fellow fit freaks advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
I have pics of the kit installed incase anyone wants I can put them up.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Any additional pics would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Pic of the shifter without the white plastic cap that has to be removed and transfered to the extension piece.

Here's a pic of the white plastic cap on the extension piece. The original grease/lube was white. I assume it was lithium grease, but I just used some all purpose grease.

This is what the spacer legs look like installed.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Impressions

I just finished the install and, just like everyone else, Love this product! For the people that are thinking about the Skunk2 short shifter or a just on the fence. consider this:

The OEM shifting was much smoother. Before the install the stick would just glide into gear. After the install you can actually FEEL the stick going into gear - I prefer this greatly over the OEM version. The reason that I have a manual tranny in my Fit (and everything else that I have owned) Is because I like to feel like I am actually driving a car and apart of the car as opposed to 'point and shoot' with an automatic tranny. This SS improves that feel for me.

The Shifting after the install is MUCH shorter. Just like Skunk2 Claims.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:29 AM
o thats bullshit i called them like 3 days ago and they told me it isnt out yet. if i woulda known it was i would already have it. im so pissed and those dicks are right here in my home town of corona

Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by OrangeFit07
o thats bullshit i called them like 3 days ago and they told me it isnt out yet. if i woulda known it was i would already have it. im so pissed and those dicks are right here in my home town of corona
you made me chuckle....when i first started getting the mods i was like you..where the hell is it? now i routinely wait up to 6 weeks to get parts out of Japan......no worries now, i just figure it will be here when it is......
i know your situation is a little different......

Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned
Whewwww, what a pain in the back job putting one of these kits in. First the good news for our non USDM owners these work in ADM Jazz no problems. From all the posts I expected this to be a piece of cake but it's not... It's not to technical but there is a lot of screwing around with small greasy parts in TINY spaces with sharp edges. The backs of my hands look like 1/2 lbs. of hamburger from bumping into the sharp stuff around the holes in the shifter.

It's been covered in all the posts how to do it but I have two pieces of advice for anybody getting ready to try it. First TAKE THE SHIFTER BODY ALL THE WAY OUT... it only takes a few minutes to take the clip off the main cable and the small one is unhooked anyway it will save you loads of time tightening the three set screws. With the shifter just loose you can get at the screws but it's a bitch in the limited space believe me I tried for 1/2 an hour before giving up and pulling the shifter out. With the shifter out it's a five minute job the tighten those rotten, slippery, tiny screws and you won't have to bash up your hands trying to get in between those little windows on the shifter body.

The second thing is the spring clip that holds the cable plastic housing that goes onto the new bottom end of the shifter. I tried again for 1/2 an hour to put the housing back on then slip the clip into place but that rotten slippery little $%$&*^&(& just would not go back into it's grooves on both sides. It would go in one side fine but the other side would then pop out. what I finally did was to leave the housing OFF and then slid on the clip and it's so much easier because you can get a good grip on the clip and the housing when it's hanging down then just push the housing with the clip installed back onto the end of the shifter extension and it just pops back in place no hassles.

Is it worth all the work HELL YES nice short shifts for $40.00 how can you beat that.

Also expect your shifter to be HIGHER because of the spacers. What I did was to cut about 1/2 inch off the threads of the top of the shift handle so the shift knob screws down further (check your shift knob before cutting yours) and that put the top of the shift knob right back where it was.

One more thing I did since I had the shifter body out was to run a short bead of weld around parts of the top of the new extension and the old shifter handle now it's NEVER going to get loose.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Nice idea cutting the top of the stick to bring it down again. I might have to do that too, I like where my knob is right now. Man I have had my SK2 SS for like 3 weeks now and still havn't had time to install it

Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Nice idea cutting the top of the stick to bring it down again. I might have to do that too, I like where my knob is right now. Man I have had my SK2 SS for like 3 weeks now and still havn't had time to install it
now sugarphreak, don't cut it.....question is "does your girlfriend like your knob the way it is now?" i would check with her first! lol

Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
now sugarphreak, don't cut it.....question is "does your girlfriend like your knob the way it is now?" i would check with her first! lol
Hey!

Then again you know what they say "Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!"

Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 PM
wooooo, $40 shipped just snagged me one off ebay!

gotta love the best offer thing they do now!!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 AM
37 shipped

but they sent me a skunk2 billet cam seal for a b series engine haha

we resolved everything and they sent me another kit out today.

Quick Reply: skunk2 short throw shifter!!!???