Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

JCrim's Road Racing Thread - Stay Tuned!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
i think i may once the car is officially mine with some additional stuff: springs, bushings (still trying to find some poly for the control arms), and whatnot...

I hear ya on the bushing part. I would LOVE some nice hard bushings. I really need to order the set from HARDRACE. lol I bet they are nice.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
I hear ya on the bushing part. I would LOVE some nice hard bushings. I really need to order the set from HARDRACE. lol I bet they are nice.

whiteline makes a set for the jazz, but i've had crap for luck at contacting the us importer for pricing and availability...

Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Do it the good old fashioned way with steel on a lathe.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
cant beat that...and then u can say ur car is custom FO' REALS!

^_^

Old 07-23-2011, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
J... I love your set-up so much!! Guess what I just bought (Legal is SCCA ST Class)

15x7.5 6UL Black

Gonna run 225's RS-3 in the front (a guy on scca forum had 2 for sale, my luck !!!)
Now need to figure out what for the rears in 205/50... what do you think Bridgestone RE-11? Dunlops Star Spec? Advan AD08?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFlowjoe
J... I love your set-up so much!! Guess what I just bought (Legal is SCCA ST Class)

15x7.5 6UL Black

Gonna run 225's RS-3 in the front (a guy on scca forum had 2 for sale, my luck !!!)
Now need to figure out what for the rears in 205/50... what do you think Bridgestone RE-11? Dunlops Star Spec? Advan AD08?
Are you going to use them on the street? I'm thinking about getting some stickier tires but I will need to stiffen up the motor and transaxle mounts and get a stronger clutch first... I have slowed down quite a bit on the road recently mainly because I just don't get out as much and run the back roads.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Are you going to use them on the street? I'm thinking about getting some stickier tires but I will need to stiffen up the motor and transaxle mounts and get a stronger clutch first...
Yeah I use the 205's daily (in summer) and the 225 will be a Auto X only (fronts)... I'm using AD08 now but they need replacing ASAP... not much meat left on them... so looking for 4 new DD Summer onlys which will be my Auto X rears too....

And TC Clutch = Spec Stage 2+ and for mount look at Innovative.... but u don't need all that for tires...

J, sorry for high jacking thread... just needed some advice.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
whiteline makes a set for the jazz, but i've had crap for luck at contacting the us importer for pricing and availability...
hmmm ill have to check into this.

lol

Originally Posted by dled1286
cant beat that...and then u can say ur car is custom FO' REALS!

^_^
all day!

15x7.5 6UL Black

for autoX the RE-11 are great! but on an actual track they will get greasy. I suggest some Kumho Ecsta XS! they take heat like a champ! require a little warm up first to get going. the advan AD08 is also great but the only real unique benefit of them is the water traction. StarSpecs of course are wonderful and get a ton of tire life. In my situation if i was you, pairing a tire set with the RS3s, I would choose the XS. the RS3 and XS are pretty similar as far as in terms of heat needed goes and being able to take the heat. I wouldnt want the rear tires to be sticker than the front, cold, like the RE-11. in autoX, the RE-11 would be perfect ALL THE WAY AROUND. not in conjunction with the RS3s. my opinions.. congrats on the wheels! you will love them! make sure to get the honda hub centric rings! not miata lol.

Are you going to use them on the street? I'm thinking about getting some stickier tires but I will need to stiffen up the motor and transaxle mounts and get a stronger clutch first... I have slowed down quite a bit on the road recently mainly because I just don't get out as much and run the back roads.
I've been driving on these R compounds for almost a week now on the street. TALK ABOUT FUN lol. way over kill for DD really but man, when I want to have fun, its there for sure. I cant stop smiling. haha I wouldn't have got R comps if the RS3 was available. I got these though because when the RS3s come back into stock, ill get them and save my R comps for when needed. I didn't want to buy a tire that I couldn't use, like the R1R. they have heat problems when you beat them on the track. I have used these in the rain VERY little rain. No issues yet. Just drive safe and slow and cautious. the tires are loud as hell though lol. WAAHHH WHAAA WAAH WAAAH

Yeah I use the 205's daily (in summer) and the 225 will be a Auto X only (fronts)... I'm using AD08 now but they need replacing ASAP... not much meat left on them... so looking for 4 new DD Summer onlys which will be my Auto X rears too....

And TC Clutch = Spec Stage 2+ and for mount look at Innovative.... but u don't need all that for tires...

J, sorry for high jacking thread... just needed some advice.
haha its okay! thats what this is for. Info FTW! read my above reply to your post.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
j - forgot to ask...

for the custom springs you're getting... is swift making you the rears? are they making them in the typical "straight vertical" springs as seen in c/o's, or are they going to make them like most of the wider-in-the-middle springs as seen in our cars?

just had that thought...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
haha its okay! thats what this is for. Info FTW! read my above reply to your post.
BTW, after speaking with a few people that I auto X with mainly ST Class civics and reading some other info I went with the Toyo R1R... It is a sticky tire for auto x (not sure about tracking) and requires little heat to get going.

RE-11 are good like u said but need heat and not a good balance with the RS3.

Dunlop are a bit less grippy due to higher treadwear and just general tire compound to last longer, but a good tire non-the-less.

Advan AD08 was a good choice but not 4 in-stock at tire-rack... and I wanted to try something diffrent

Kuhmo XS are great auto x tire but bad daily driver tire due to massive hydroplaning

We'll see if my choice was a good one... I might even post some pics (I never post pics)

Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
BTW, after speaking with a few people that I auto X with mainly ST Class civics and reading some other info I went with the Toyo R1R... It is a sticky tire for auto x (not sure about tracking) and requires little heat to get going.

RE-11 are good like u said but need heat and not a good balance with the RS3.

Dunlop are a bit less grippy due to higher treadwear and just general tire compound to last longer, but a good tire non-the-less.

Advan AD08 was a good choice but not 4 in-stock at tire-rack... and I wanted to try something diffrent

Kuhmo XS are great auto x tire but bad daily driver tire due to massive hydroplaning

We'll see if my choice was a good one... I might even post some pics (I never post pics)

Any time you want to evaluate tires for autocross refer to GRASSROOTSMOTORSPORTS magazine or their website.. They publish good tests of prospective tires on an autocross course, often involving TireRack personnel. My poor memory says the Yoko was best and thats why they are in short supply.
PS GRM is the best choice for shade tree mechanics so a subscription is worthwhile.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
etf
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
GRM is the best choice for shade tree mechanics so a subscription is worthwhile.

I totally agree! I've met some of the guys @ GRM. They are truly hardcore enthusiasts and have a genuine interest in cars that the common man can afford. This is an essential publication for anybody that is involved in amateur motorsports.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
j - forgot to ask...

for the custom springs you're getting... is swift making you the rears? are they making them in the typical "straight vertical" springs as seen in c/o's, or are they going to make them like most of the wider-in-the-middle springs as seen in our cars?

just had that thought...
you know im not really too sure. I told them to look at their sport spring how it is kind of hybrid. at the rear that is. I have got NO reply ... i wonder if i could just run a straight spring in the rubber perches in the rear? what you think man? im scared they would fall out. there has to be a way. if one side of the spring is like a coilover straight spring and the other like an oem spring, this would be perfect! just like my current skunk2 pro c rear coilover spring... lol one side is straight that goes into the skunk2 perch and the other side is like a normal spring that goes in my rubber perch.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 PM
i SOOOOOOO need someone to get these 350z wheels off my hands...i need new wheels sooooo bad and im tired of waiting...>_<

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
i sooooooo need someone to get these 350z wheels off my hands...i need new wheels sooooo bad and im tired of waiting...>_<

dooo ettt!!!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
you know im not really too sure. I told them to look at their sport spring how it is kind of hybrid. at the rear that is. I have got NO reply ... i wonder if i could just run a straight spring in the rubber perches in the rear? what you think man? im scared they would fall out. there has to be a way. if one side of the spring is like a coilover straight spring and the other like an oem spring, this would be perfect! just like my current skunk2 pro c rear coilover spring... lol one side is straight that goes into the skunk2 perch and the other side is like a normal spring that goes in my rubber perch.
i'll do some research... i'm sure someone out there has delt with this...

in the meantime, do you have pics of the rear skunk2 pro-c spring installed?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
i'll do some research... i'm sure someone out there has delt with this...

in the meantime, do you have pics of the rear skunk2 pro-c spring installed?
heres the best pic of the spring i can find.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:47 AM
heres the best pic of the spring i can find.

soooo...eventually we need to see if skunk2 will offer a group buy price if we get a group together big enough to make it worth their while. 1200-1300 isn't bad for a coil over set like these but i would like to get it for cheaper if possible. maybe around february/march this next year.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
soooo...eventually we need to see if skunk2 will offer a group buy price if we get a group together big enough to make it worth their while. 1200-1300 isn't bad for a coil over set like these but i would like to get it for cheaper if possible. maybe around february/march this next year.

I missed the last group buy for them by like 3 months. I then called skunk2 and spoke with a tony and asked if he could still honor it. lol HE DID! I got them for 850 shipped to my door.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
i'm still looking into those rear springs... not finding much except that the straight or concave (hourglass) springs are good for packaging concerns (takes up less space)...

i found something that said that straight springs hold their rate better through their stroke than shaped springs...

my feeling about the rear springs in the fit, and on my ptgt, is that the convex/barrel shape is there so that as the rear axle seat changes angle to the upper seat at it goes through its travel, the shape helps the spring stay seated better...

kinda like how if you take a small straight spring, grab the top and bottom, and pull them close to each other, it wants to shoot out of your hand... my feeling is that it's something like that... but i've yet to find anything out there that says it...

i think ideally, if you found another car with a torsion rear beam suspension, but that's heavier or more sporty, you should be able to swap springs... ala this link: Browser Warning

i'm still going to do some more searching b/c i'm interested in finding out an answer... i'll keep you updated...

but speaking of updates... ?!?!

Quick Reply: JCrim's Road Racing Thread - Stay Tuned!