Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
I think your EDL is a the same or a variation of what mine has. It's not great, but I'm sure it is better than nothing at all. It's good to know that the Golf does have something. If you think it's not good can you imagine it as a purely open diff?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the electronic LSD on my GTI is VERY good.

if you're okay with FWD, the MK7 GTI is one of the best cars out there imho. handling wise and power. thing is a rocket even with a mild tune. the weakest link on the stock GTI is the tires and wheels. why they put junkook crap tires on a performance hatch beats the hell out of me. i took them off before hitting 100miles and they are stacked up in my basement storage until the day the GTI is sold.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
As a matter of curiosity, when we turn off our Golf, we can hear odd noises like little electric motors running for several minutes thereafter. Nothing is wrong, but it's interesting. Do y'all know what's going on behind the scene? Even if you open the door, busy little noises are heard for several minutes.

I use only VW Dilithium Crystals and always leave the driveway on impulse power .........

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 11-30-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
LOL Alco!

I have NO IDEA what all this car is doing. It makes so many weird sounds. Not just after shutting off, but also when we get near it with the key fob. Upon starting it also sounds like the starter doesn't disengage for a while. Makes a humming sound for a couple seconds. It's one weird creature.

Until something stops working, I'm going to assume all of the oddball noises are normal. None of our other cars have made all the miscellaneous sounds, but this one sure does.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
yah both my Golf's make the noise too. :)
my R even has the fan running for a min or so after a hot run after shut off.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
My MK6 makes the same noises. I think it's because it's excited about going for a drive. When I get home the noises are because it's sad the fun is over.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
My MK6 makes the same noises. I think it's because it's excited about going for a drive. When I get home the noises are because it's sad the fun is over.
:-D That could very well be!

Old 11-30-2017, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
:D haha.. my Golfs definitely like to go out for a spin. when i pull out the GK i kinda sense my GTI's looking at me like why that thing? take me instead!

Old 12-01-2017, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
My '06 pickup has been in the shop this week, so I've been driving the wife's Golf in the evenings running errands. It's so much fun and it's giving me GTI fever.

My truck has 155,000 Miles on it, so should be good for several more years; I'd like to own a GTI before I get too old to enjoy it.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
alco- sorry to hear about your truck..but this might be a good opportunity. :D

GTI's are fun cars especially in MT, i think. mine is DSG and id say its actually pretty fun to drive for the commute and a to b, but found it too boring for my weekend drives in light traffic. id definitely go for the MT if all round fun.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
I have only test driven GTI's, but I found the DSG model to be good. The MT was great!

Super easy to drive and more engaging. Of course, the traffic you encounter when driving could sway those sentiments.

If getting a mark vii, I would ONLY shop ones with the limited slip diff. Constant traction problems make it not so much fun. A good friend has a mark vii without the limited slip and he's not so fond of the constant tire spinning when just pulling out into traffic. Boost comes on so early and so quickly that it's not as easy as just modulating the throttle. Light enough throttle to keep it out of boost means holding up traffic. Boost in first equals tire spin. At least that's what he reports. Based on our lower hp Golf, I believe him. All the GTI's I test drove had the limited slip, so I can't comment directly.

Last edited by GAFIT; 12-02-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I just read that the 2018 GTI SE and Autobahn trims will come standard with a limited slip differential. I'm wondering if that means a true mechanical limited slip? I'm guessing so.

I've driven nothing but manual transmission vehicles for almost 40 years now (our Fit is my teenager's car), but I'm giving serious thought to a DSG for my GTI. We often keep our vehicles for 10 to 15 years and I'm thinking that the DSG would be a wise choice for me. The DSG has won a large number of fans and seems far removed from the typical automatic. I'd test drive both of course.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 12-02-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
I just read that the 2018 GTI SE and Autobahn trims will come standard with a limited slip differential. I'm wondering if that means a true mechanical limited slip? I'm guessing so.

I've driven nothing but manual transmission vehicles for almost 40 years now, but I'm giving serious thought to a DSG for my GTI. We often keep our vehicles for 10 to 15 years and I'm thinking that the DSG would be a wise choice for me. The DSG has won a large number of fans and seems far removed from the typical automatic. I'd test drive both of course.
Yes, it's a true mechanical limited slip.

I can see the benefits of the DSG. It just didn't win me over from my preference for a manual. You'd definitely want to test drive both.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Also, if owning long term, factor in the maintenance on the DSG. It's expensive at dealer or requires a good DIY every 40,000 miles.

For us, that would be almost once per year. It factored into our not wanting the DSG.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
DSG has a bit of a learning curve in MT mode.. especially if you want to drive it more like you meant to drive it. i find myself supporting the downshift blip often to smooth things out especially going 2-1.

in AT mode it is a very smooth shifting gearbox. too conservative shift map for me, but in congestion (not stop and go) it down shifts often between 4-3-2 which helps with engine braking and keeping the car easy to maintain distance with the car in front of you.

i donno, id probably be happy with DSG in an audi but i had to learned to accept it on my GTI. its not bad.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
I've driven manual trans cars since forever until 2 years ago. My orthopedic sturgeon told me to buy an automatic to give my worn out left knee a rest. I was pretty bummed out about that. I didn't think I could find a car with an auto that was not boring & bland. Enter the GTI with DSG. What a fun car & the DSG is a manual minus the clutch pedal. I'm older than you young guns so maybe it's just my inner old fart talking, but I wouldn't switch back to a manual even if my knee somehow healed itself. Yes I like the DSG that much.

RS-1 make sure to take a long test drive in a DSG equipped GTI. It doesn't act like a torque automatic, it acts more like a manual.

My Meotter is a manual & I'm still able to drive it for 100 miles or so until my knee says enough.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Also, if owning long term, factor in the maintenance on the DSG. It's expensive at dealer or requires a good DIY every 40,000 miles.

For us, that would be almost once per year. It factored into our not wanting the DSG.
That's a valid point and I recalled the savings each time we brought our 6M TDI Sportwagen to the Dealer for routine service. I'm recently retired, so no longer pile on the commute mileage, but the DSG service cost remains an unwanted aspect of ownership.

I tried to read the DIY routine of servicing the fluid, but found it very confusing. I know that automatic transmission fluid levels are checked at operating temperature and VW sure makes it confusing. Our Fit has a simple dipstick and the process is easy,

Old 12-02-2017, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
... My Meotter is a manual & I'm still able to drive it for 100 miles or so until my knee says enough.
Good to know that the DSG has won your approval. While a 6M may bring joy to me today, it's uncertain if it might bring sorrow to my knees in years beyond.

What is a Meotter?

Old 12-02-2017, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
miata maybe?

one of the main reasons why i got the DSG was that i too had an aching left leg.. in my case a sore ankle for almost a year which made driving MT cars difficult. while it heeled i still want to keep at least one AT car for me to use, preferably a DSG gear box.

DSG is nothing like conventional AT's with torque converters. it is a night/day difference especially when you get on it. throttle response is like MT cars. when im tired im glad i have a DSG. but i shouldve bought the S3 instead of my GTI. still kicking myself..

Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
I just wanted to note how much I enjoy our small Wolfsburg/VW corner here at FitFreak. I treasure your clear and kind responses. Such is sometimes hard to find on various VW forums which are often filled with acrimony and smart-aleck posts. Thanks y'all!

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 12-02-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg