Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit is Go(ne)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 AM
The head-unit amp is 40 watts x 4 (160). It powers the 1"s and 3.5"s in the front doors, and the rear 5.25's. A second amp mounted under the driver's seat (70 x 2 for another 140 watts, bringing the total to 300) powers a pair of 6x9 woofers in the front door. There is no subwoofer included, but the head unit has pre-amp RCA outputs, and fine-tuning controls for the Sub.

The previous generation tC had a 6" "sub"woofer under the trunk floor.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
The head-unit amp is 40 watts x 4 (160). It powers the 1"s and 3.5"s in the front doors, and the rear 5.25's. A second amp mounted under the driver's seat (70 x 2 for another 140 watts, bringing the total to 300) powers a pair of 6x9 woofers in the front door. There is no subwoofer included, but the head unit has pre-amp RCA outputs, and fine-tuning controls for the Sub.

The previous generation tC had a 6" "sub"woofer under the trunk floor.
That's a lot of speakers!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 AM
thanks for the review, we've cross shopped the scion TC and those are neat lil cars :)

Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Short followup - still loving the new car. The Fit was neat but didn't fit my wants and needs quite as well. Fuel economy around town has remained in the 26 mpg range. On the highway, there's a pretty significant difference between 60, 65, 70 mph (35, 33, 31 respectively). Not the 35-40 I was getting before, but this car loves highway travel: ice cold AC, space for stretched legs, plenty of passing power, and very stable steering.

Starting this weekend, I'm taking it on a 2600 Mile road trip. Looking forward to some nice highway time (I've driven it to San Francisco, LA, Vegas in recent weeks, and it's been extremely enjoyable.).

Old 07-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hey sounds like fun, have a safe trip.

btw, i like that BEEFY steering wheel on your new car. :D

Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM
They did a good job of making sure everything you regularly touch in the car feels nice and substantial. The car feels extremely solid, more like a midsize sedan than a compact (it's built on a modified version of the Avensis (Euro Camry equivalent) chassis.

The only ergonomic error was a hard plastic center armrest, butbi got a padded leather cover and matching shiftboot (both in black with red stitching to match my Clazzios) from Redline Goods.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
looks good! i hate redline (the guy is an arse and exporting leather illegally under faux description... not sure if he stopped doing that recently or not) but your interior's looking good! :D

Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Good do see you happy OP. But i would say i hate the new TC can't stand how they look. But this is not just the TC i think car companys are killing most of the cars these days by trying to reimage a allready good looking car. Like the evo,sti,xb,tc,fit these cars looked good to me from the start why change them. Also i think it's funny how you got a divorce so you bought the car as your cazy buy. If it was me i would have bought a new seat for the fit saved the ton of money you lost on buying the new car let alone the gas,insurance and maintance and went on a nice vaction with just half of what it will cost you more in a year to own that car. You could have went to Vegas or Hawii and had a blast and meet plenty of drop dead single woman at ethier or and had the time of your life. But just my thoughts on this. But as long as your happy with the car and it's worth spending more on it thats all that counts. Just to many people rush in on items they buy and don't consider the long term effect on there wallets or the maintance some items take to keep up on.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Black with red stitching, why would you want that?? :p

Looks good man!!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Good do see you happy OP. But i would say i hate the new TC can't stand how they look. But this is not just the TC i think car companys are killing most of the cars these days by trying to reimage a allready good looking car. Like the evo,sti,xb,tc,fit these cars looked good to me from the start why change them. Also i think it's funny how you got a divorce so you bought the car as your cazy buy. If it was me i would have bought a new seat for the fit saved the ton of money you lost on buying the new car let alone the gas,insurance and maintance and went on a nice vaction with just half of what it will cost you more in a year to own that car. You could have went to Vegas or Hawii and had a blast and meet plenty of drop dead single woman at ethier or and had the time of your life. But just my thoughts on this. But as long as your happy with the car and it's worth spending more on it thats all that counts. Just to many people rush in on items they buy and don't consider the long term effect on there wallets or the maintance some items take to keep up on.
i'm not a fan either, but i like the taillights, i hate the dash, and the red lighting just kills it for me too, he's obviously trying to impress the ladies with the altoids in the console :)

Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Black with red stitching, why would you want that?? :p

Looks good man!!
good point man (except the looks good part)

occam, you should have waited a little longer - the new si has black and red interior, 6 speed, and the 2.4L "accord engine" and it looks twice as good as a TC with the lip kit honda is bringing to market, and the resale will be insane, just like all hondas - just my .02

Last edited by vtecfit1; 07-18-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
i'm not a fan either, but i like the taillights, i hate the dash, and the red lighting just kills it for me too, he's obviously trying to impress the ladies with the altoids in the console :)

good point man (except the looks good part)

occam, you should have waited a little longer - the new si has black and red interior, 6 speed, and the 2.4L "accord engine" and it looks twice as good as a TC with the lip kit honda is bringing to market, and the resale will be insane, just like all hondas - just my .02
I know a lot of folks don't like the new styling, but that was a big selling point for me... OK, not really a big selling point, but nice icing on the cake.

A buddy bought a used '06 SI two days after I bought the tC - the legroom and interior ergos are awful by comparison for me. Then again, the '05-'10 tC was pretty cramped as well. I have yet to sit in another car in this class that fits me as well as the '11 tC.

The new SI is pretty sharp looking, and they finally decided to give it a bit of torque, which is very cool. The rearward seat travel is improved, but not quite as generous as the tC (though it feels like it has more headroom). Price is a big jump - it's competing up there in V6 'Stang territory, and it doesn't have the hatch. The tC's cargo area isn't as expansive as the Fit by any means, and nowhere close to the Element, but I've gotten spoiled on being able to throw open the back, toss down the seats, and cram in large objects.

After adding the leather seats, armrest, shift boot, I spent about $18,500 on the tC pre-tax (mil rebate). It's less sporty than the SI; I'd say it's the closest thing to the old 3 Door Accord (always my favorite):

Sometimes you find that car that has all the right checkmarks in all the right places.

@08FitHappy:
Yeah, I could have invested money in adding the stuff the Fit was missing (sunroof, legroom), but I'm happier with this car... It would have been pretty hard to undo the "bought a slushbox" mistake without swapping cars anyway.

My current dilema: Do I just pay off the car, taking a hit to the savings account, but saving on interest paid, or do I just pay the payments, and put that cash into a money-market or index fund? My interest rate is 3.39 (they weren't offering any special rates, so it was just what my credit could swing) so the question is -

Would interest earned on a MM or index fund be enough to outweigh the real interest rate on the loan with inflation taken into account?

Also, given the budget games this spring, and the current game of debt-ceiling chicken (I'm in the Air Force), do I want to cut that far into my savings?

EDIT: The fact that I'm engaging in such discussions probably means that Scion missed their target market with me!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
I would keep paying 3.39 apr is very low. How long you been in im a marine. You don't want to draing your saving you might need that in an emergency.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member

The new SI is pretty sharp looking, and they finally decided to give it a bit of torque, which is very cool. The rearward seat travel is improved, but not quite as generous as the tC (though it feels like it has more headroom). Price is a big jump - it's competing up there in V6 'Stang territory, and it doesn't have the hatch. The tC's cargo area isn't as expansive as the Fit by any means, and nowhere close to the Element, but I've gotten spoiled on being able to throw open the back, toss down the seats, and cram in large objects.
have you sat in a 2012 coupe? much less an SI?? as far as i know they arent even stateside yet, the dealership i work at won't see them for a couple months still - just curious! if you have sat in one - do tell
and if it was an SI and you still don't want one well you're just not in hondas demographic(sp) then

Old 07-20-2011, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
and you still don't want one well you're just not in hondas demographic(sp) then
honda's been pushing away car guys like me with their poor offerings the last 5yrs. im not a fan of the new civic's styling. it reminds me of camry's from the early 2000's.

if they want my attention again they need to release a RWD car with similar handling like a S2000 with more bottom end. latetly honda's been going too eco-friendly-herbivore-boy cars. with that said, FF cars in this segment, just get the one that you like for watever reason that makes sense to you.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:40 PM
have you sat in a 2012 coupe? much less an SI?? as far as i know they arent even stateside yet, the dealership i work at won't see them for a couple months still - just curious! if you have sat in one - do tell
and if it was an SI and you still don't want one well you're just not in hondas demographic(sp) then
I sat in a sedan... Seat travel is an sticking point for me, especially after the experience with the Fit. I don't have any particular loyalty to Honda - it's not like they've done me any personal favors to earn my allegiance. If I were going for a Honda, and were going to pay Civic Si coin, I'd buy an Accord EX coupe (actually what I was looking for on the cert-used market before I noticed the new TC across the street from the Honda lot.).

Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM
So... brief followup. I now have over 20,000 miles on the Fit thanks to several LONG car trips. I flew to Florida last month and spent about 4 days driving around in Mom's '11 Fit. I can honestly say I have zero regrets. Having gotten used to the extra power and comfort of the tC, I found the a far less enjoyable car than I had remembered (on occasion, the rose colored glasses made it seem a bit nicer in my memory... 4 miles down the road, my hip started cramping, and I kept trying to slide the seat further back, and the memories became crystal clear!). Gunning it while pulling out in traffic and hearing a lot of noise without much go from the engine made me reconsider my atheist ways a few times (not really, but it was kinda scary!).

Still fun to whip around though... and mom, at 5'6, said it is the most enjoyable car she's ever owned.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
well, i too drive my 09 on the weekends and very uninspired by its dumb AT (wife can't drive MT) and weak vacuum cleaner noise engine. :D but it does do well at the stores when i need to lug stuff around. and i do a lot of that so the GE is here to stay for at least a few more years.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Long time since I've been on here. Just a friendly "Hello" to everyone. Still driving the Scion, and quite happy with it. I just hit 35,000 miles on there today (in less than two years). I have a 50 mile round trip commute here in Texas, almost all at freeway speeds (the good ol' 410 loop most of the way). The Scion is a much better freeway car, and has definitely gotten its workout on long trips as well: I've driven it to Florida and back three times, as well as driven it from coast to coast.

Honestly, I haven't thought about the fit at all, except for (briefly) while out in San Francisco for a vacation back in August. My girlfriend (well, girlfriend when we departed, fiance when we returned. :-D ) and I visited her cousin out there, who offered us a tour of some cool places. He has a Fit, and while the driver's seat is horrible for me, that was the first time I'd spent any time in the back seat of one... it was pretty fantastic.

My fiance has a Versa. The legroom is a bit tight in the front, about like the Fit, but they did a MUCH better job on the interior. Supportive seats (if a bit flat compared to the tC), padded armrests, decent footwell space, and a throttle pedal with good weight. The handling is kinda mushy, but the ride is surprisingly smooth. The level of detail on the interior is worlds beyond the Fit... and the Scion for that matter. The general feel of the controls, panels, cushions, etc., is all more substantial than the FIT... Overall, it's designed to feel like a large sedan or wagon, but scaled down in size and weight, rather than feeling like a small car.

I still avoid driving it, because it's a slush-o-matic, barely has enough power to get out of its own way, no window tint, and the seat doesn't slide back far enough for me.

Anyway, hope everyone is having fun. This is a fun board; wish I'd had the same good experience with my car that most of you seem to have. I only miss it when I need to haul stuff. ;-)

Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Just another friendly hello to the Fit-Folks.

43000 miles on the tC now, and just paid it off (yep, paid extra to pay it off early... I'm getting married, and we can now both enter the marriage debt-free!). The decision to replace the fit has proven wise on my part - I've enjoyed this car more than just about any other car I've ever owned. It's proven reliable, comfortable for long trips, short jaunts, and everything in between. No problems (other than one clogged A/C drain tube), and it's still almost rattle free, something that seems to be a difficult achievement for Asian car companies in recent years.

It's still almost stock - my only upgrades have been Clazzio leather seat covers, leather shift boot and armrest cover, cargo cover, rocker-panel stripes (lower body graphics), and window tinting. I save most of my farkling for the motorcycle!

Now that it's paid off, I won't do anything stupid, like try to trade it in! (Also why, despite becoming physically aroused the first time I saw an FR-S, I have not gone into the dealership to sit in one!)

Mom, on the other hand, is positively in love with her 2010 Fit. Seems like the perfect car for a middle-aged elementary school teacher! She can haul her books and lesson plans with ease, and the low dash makes her feel confident in city traffic. Different strokes for different folks!

Hope everyone is still enjoying their cars and the camaraderie on here.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just another friendly hello to the Fit-Folks.

43000 miles on the tC now, and just paid it off (yep, paid extra to pay it off early... I'm getting married, and we can now both enter the marriage debt-free!). The decision to replace the fit has proven wise on my part - I've enjoyed this car more than just about any other car I've ever owned. It's proven reliable, comfortable for long trips, short jaunts, and everything in between. No problems (other than one clogged A/C drain tube), and it's still almost rattle free, something that seems to be a difficult achievement for Asian car companies in recent years.
Good to hear everything is working out for you Oc. Good luck with that 2nd part (debt-free). All in jest of course. :-) Congratulations and best of luck as you turn the page to the next chapter. Keep us posted every now and then... on the car of course! :-)