Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Gas - what grade, what brand for Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Gas - what grade, what brand for Fit Sport

What grade of gas do you smart car folks put in your Fit Sport?
REGULAR SPECIAL or PREMIUM. I alway use Special for my Hondas, but I have a car-nut girlfriend who claims you can always use the lowest grade.

Also I remember reading an article like 25 years ago that claimed Mobile gas was the cleanest, so I have been a loyal Mobil pumper ever since. Anyone agree?

I looked for a thread on this but could not even find a post. Hope I'm putting this in the right place.

thanks,

White Sport Owner Neros

Old 10-09-2010, 01:18 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Theres a few on this...

But anywho 87grade top tear company gas (Chevron, 76, mobile, shell) Ive found you get the best gas mileage out of the 87 over 91.

I only use 91 on my boosted fit.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM
For a detailed discussion look here - https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-your-fit.html

Enjoy the read - it get's real deep LOL

Agree w/ JDMchris 87 is perfectly fine.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah it seems like the lowest grade is fine but feel free to use whatever you like.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
There are people using regular with great success, but the best way to find out is to take your car on a highway trip and if your getting around 38 or so then regular is Ok. I went back to read my fuel certification and You could have 2 identical cars and 1 would be fine with regular and the other 1 needs premium. Your car as it ages will have what they call ORI octane rate increase. As you drive carbon deposits raise your compression by leaving deposits in the combustion chamber which are the hardest to clean. Most top tier Premium have enough additive to prevent this. There is a BMW test for 50000, and Unlimited mileage test that if the fuel passes these tests then you should not have a ORI because the fuel will keep the engine clean without the use of extra cleaners.

MBT is where the engine produces the most torque and your mileage should be at the highest. This is where people get confused about higher octane. The plus sign next to 87 in the owner manual mean your car will get better performance with a higher octane.

Here is a new link I found keep in mind this is a lower compression engine running ethanol free gas which is another issue. AutoSpeed - Knock, Knock - Part 3
Also look in part 1-2 on bottom of page.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member
I recently read that California requires that the oil companies put 10 to 12 times the additives that are put into gasolines sold in other states.... I can't find the link right now but I'll try again and try to come up with it.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I recently read that California requires that the oil companies put 10 to 12 times the additives that are put into gasolines sold in other states.... I can't find the link right now but I'll try again and try to come up with it.
I cant find it either, I know they put 10 percent ethanol in summer and can use 5 percent ethanol in winter. Lower amounts of toluene than in other states.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
for my fit sport 5spd

Brands: ONLY Shell or Chevron

Premium only (91 here in Cali)

Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 PM
91 on a low compression engine like the fit is really a waste of money. Unless you have raised the compression, it doesn't help.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 AM
91 all the way, I can feel the difference in 87 & 91 - 91 seems a lot smoother

Old 10-12-2010, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit L15A engine is far from being anything other than a high compression engine unless Honda is lying about it having a 10.4 to 1 compression ratio.... The owners manual doesn't recommend what octane to use but does state that gasoline with an octane rating lower than 87 will damage your engine....

Old 10-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Coyote - agreed, the fit engine is, indeed, a high compression engine. My understanding is that unless compression to the engine is raised from stock, there is really no significant benefit to running 91 in an engine designed to use 87.

Of course, I haven't bought 91 since i had my 1998 LS400 5 year ago...

fitevo - all good my man. I don't doubt your reasons, I have just never read anything to justify it. I have read much more on the BRAND of gas. Crappy gas is, well, crappy.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drumsauce
Coyote - agreed, the fit engine is, indeed, a high compression engine. My understanding is that unless compression to the engine is raised from stock, there is really no significant benefit to running 91 in an engine designed to use 87.
..... Honestly, the L15A isn't designed to run on any particular octane fuel and 87 octane is only mentioned in the owners manual because it is the lowest octane fuel the Fit will run on.... The engine control unit will not adjust to anything lower than 87 octane but will change the ignition timing advance to as much as 46 degrees before top dead center with 93 octane in the tank which is about 10 degrees or more than with 87 octane... On a hot day with the A/C on and a load of passengers the difference in octane ratings are evident in the way the car accelerates, water temperature and the amount of throttle needed to maintain a given speed on the highway.... Ask anyone that has a scan gauge on their car if there isn't a difference in these readouts when using different octane grades of fuel....

Old 10-12-2010, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
haha i think this topic has been debated for a while. ive come to the conclusion that its really up to the owner of the car to put whatever gas they want..whether be psychological, stupid, or just have excessive money to waste.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
..... Honestly, the L15A isn't designed to run on any particular octane fuel and 87 octane is only mentioned in the owners manual because it is the lowest octane fuel the Fit will run on.... The engine control unit will not adjust to anything lower than 87 octane but will change the ignition timing advance to as much as 46 degrees before top dead center with 93 octane in the tank which is about 10 degrees or more than with 87 octane... On a hot day with the A/C on and a load of passengers the difference in octane ratings are evident in the way the car accelerates, water temperature and the amount of throttle needed to maintain a given speed on the highway.... Ask anyone that has a scan gauge on their car if there isn't a difference in these readouts when using different octane grades of fuel....

Clearly the scan tool and computer are lying and everyone else seeing the same data is delusional lol

We are so stupid and that $2/bucks a tank is really putting a dent in my beer fund, I mean c'mon, what are upper cylinder lubricants, detergents, spark angle advance and flame front propagation all about anyways? ;)

Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think a person that drives with a light foot on the throttle is likely to benefit much from using higher octane fuel except maybe in the hotter months of the year.....Most of the people that get better mileage with premium are usually the ones that are not concerned all that much with fuel mileage so much as better performance and have found that driving at speeds that are usually over the speed limits in a lot of places is where they see the difference in fuel mileage.... Like Denso IK22 spark plugs that improve performance by lowering combustion chamber temperatures, higher octane fuel has the same effect and like the colder spark plugs they both result in more ignition advance and lower exhaust gas temperatures which will improve performance and improve fuel mileage in most cars equipped with an ECU like is used in most all cars these days.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 10-12-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 AM
HahaHa! Beer fund! I know! C'mon technology, you should be at the point that the only emission from cars is Lager!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 PM
ecl
5 Year Member
I've been getting 87 at Mobil recently

Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
I put in the same as they recommend for the base model.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
That means you don't use anything less than 87 octane. Right?

Quick Reply: Gas - what grade, what brand for Fit Sport