Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Gas - what grade, what brand for Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 AM
I buy 87. If I'm home it will be Costco. If I'm on the road it will be what ever is next.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Wily. I guess not.

The question pertained to a Sport so I was just being smart ass eh.

87 works for me.

How you doing? I am still waiting for some pics of your Fit you know.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
87, but look up ethanol free stations in your area. This is the only site I've found, and coincidentally, I drive by one of the only two listed stations for Austin every day. Going to start doing that.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Old 10-14-2010, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I vaguely recall hearing something about people that own boats, older cars, and lawn equipment being very disturbed due to legislation that will add more ethanol to gasoline in the near future.... It was on a television news program about the time I finally was able to go back to sleep at sunup today..... If you have any kind of carburetor equipped engine that has ethanol in the fuel bowl for any length of time there will be an accumulation of water that is drawn to the ethanol and corrosion will make it useless and in need of replacement in a short period of time.... Be sure and keep the fuel tanks in your vehicles topped of during the winter if the vehicle isn't used daily, so there isn't space in the tank for water to condense and enough fuel that water dilution doesn't occur.... Also plan on changing fuel filters more frequently because rust and corrosion will clog them sooner with the addition of more ethanol.... I am having to change the fuel filter on our old pickup because it isn't being driven enough and it is starving for fuel at times and stalling.... If ethanol didn't prove to be problematic 100 years ago it would have been the fuel of choice for Model T Fords.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah E15... two thumbs down from me. Not so much because of the multiple engines I use that were made before 1970 (which is bad enough) but when an allergy to corn runs in the family and a fuel is proposed to increase the production of corn, it gets harder to get away from the pollen and dust of the cornfields.

My rule of thumb is that if your compression isn't high enough don't use premium. Example - a 5.0L cleveland pickup I used to drive. Big fat pistons and all that flame area let premium make more power and make its constant knock in overdrive go away, but after just a week the 8.8:1 compression's lower temps allowed so much carbon build up that it was almost unsafe to run on regular again. My old 9.6:1 civic was the same way (minus the knocking on regular, I can't believe Ford said right in the owner's manual that knocking was normal) and it started fouling plugs within two weeks of running premium.

The fit also makes better torque especially on hot days with premium because it isn't pulling so much timing but in my experience the engine still runs well when switching back to regular. This means the engine has enough compression to burn it completely (premium burns slightly slower) and if you want to run it, you can safely do so. I do, it's a small car with a small engine, and I want all the torque the little mill will produce.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
Yeah E15... two thumbs down from me. Not so much because of the multiple engines I use that were made before 1970 (which is bad enough) but when an allergy to corn runs in the family and a fuel is proposed to increase the production of corn, it gets harder to get away from the pollen and dust of the cornfields.

My rule of thumb is that if your compression isn't high enough don't use premium. Example - a 5.0L cleveland pickup I used to drive. Big fat pistons and all that flame area let premium make more power and make its constant knock in overdrive go away, but after just a week the 8.8:1 compression's lower temps allowed so much carbon build up that it was almost unsafe to run on regular again. My old 9.6:1 civic was the same way (minus the knocking on regular, I can't believe Ford said right in the owner's manual that knocking was normal) and it started fouling plugs within two weeks of running premium.

The fit also makes better torque especially on hot days with premium because it isn't pulling so much timing but in my experience the engine still runs well when switching back to regular. This means the engine has enough compression to burn it completely (premium burns slightly slower) and if you want to run it, you can safely do so. I do, it's a small car with a small engine, and I want all the torque the little mill will produce.
My 15 year old son even noticed the difference with out me telling him. Ethanol will be 15 percent by the end of year. They are trying to get gas prices up and then they will announce the increase. I heard that on the radio yesterday. It was suppose to go up in Oct. to 15 percent ethanol but I heard they're waiting to Dec.

I thought premium burns faster not slower, I guess it depends on the ingredients.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
I guess E15 is now reality, I dont know what type (regular or premium) but not all cars can use it. 2007 and newer can use E15 and Now I will use premium all the time. I dont think they will have 2 regular types E10 and E15 because there is only 2 or 3 tanks regular premium and some have mid-grade. It will be interesting when the new labels go on the pumps. EPA says E15 is ready for prime time... and your new-ish car — Autoblog
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...from-10-now-/1

Last edited by SilverBullet; 10-16-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Neros
What grade of gas do you smart car folks put in your Fit Sport?
I suppose some could/will disagree with this, but I've tried it and everything this guy states (and he's a Fit owner and Fit Freak member -- Roger's Fit) seems to be right on the money. I'm following it for awhile, myself.

Fit Mods: Dedicated to modifying your Honda Fit -- Choose the "PI Fuel Additive" link at the top of the page menu, then read.

In the end, it's your choice, of course.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
In the end, it's your choice, of course.[/QUOTE]

A great final remark when you are discussing fuel and additives...... The first electronic fuel injection system vehicle I had experience with was on a BMW motorcycle and I found that there was a major difference in fuel quality while riding it... There is definitely power and mileage loss if you get a hold of poor quality fuel and power gains and better mileage to be had by using the right additives.... The Fit isn't as particular as other cars and bikes I have owned and it will adjust to crap fuel better than most but I still use my own concoction of fuel system cleaner and top oil as a means of improving performance and as a precautionary measure to prevent carbon build up and insure that the fuel delivery system is in good working order....