Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

10 Great Tips for Buying Car Tires Online

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 AM
10 Great Tips for Buying Car Tires Online

1.Get all the parameters right. From the side of the tires or your car manual jot down : vehicle application; tire width; aspect ratio; radial designation; wheel diameter; load index; speed rating; DOT; ply construction; load and pressure limits; tread wear and traction ratings.

2.Be smart shop around for the best deal locally as well as online.

3.Check aspects like factory warranties and shop guarantees before paying for the tires.

4.Know which features are important and find tires that will give you safety, longevity, and peace of mind.

5.Find out if you are buying online how the tires will be delivered to you, who will mount and balance the tires. Many online sites offer tires for great rates but you will have to pay for shipping as well as for a mechanic to fit the tires. So well before buying check out the instructions on the website and find out exactly how much it will cost to get new tires fixed on the car.

6.While many recommend buying refurbished tires in the long run new tires will stand you in good stead. While you may save money on purchase the wear and tear will be quicker.

7.Most people buy all season tires but in case you live in a snow bound or very wet region you may need special car tires for specific seasons. If in doubt consult an automotive expert.

8.Check whether the tires you are considering buying are for passenger vehicles and radial. Tubeless tires are great for urban roads that are well maintained.

9.Always get the tires fitted by an expert and ensure that balancing is done. Ask about how to prevent new tire wear and tear by rotating the tires/wheels.

10.Always replace tires in pairs. It is best to replace all four but in case of budget constrains then do the needful two at a time. The front wheels first followed by the back wheels. Never replace one in the front and the other at the back.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you're like a fortune cookie.

to buy tires, go to www.tirerack.com and talk to alex. can't beat his price and service.

done. :D

Old 01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
tenura and calebskillen is the same person...

Old 01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Seconding tirerack. Only problem is getting the tires mounted. A lot of shops will charge you extra if you come in with new tires you didn't get through them and want them mounted.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Be careful that you are not purchasing tires that have been in a warehouse drying out for years... Sometimes tire dealers get a super low price on them and sell them cheap... The problem is that they will wear out very quickly and don't have the grip of fresh tires.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Be careful that you are not purchasing tires that have been in a warehouse drying out for years... Sometimes tire dealers get a super low price on them and sell them cheap... The problem is that they will wear out very quickly and don't have the grip of fresh tires.
This is good advice as well. Tires have a shelf life just like anything else. Good news is, it's easy to find the production date of the tire! The DOT number is 2 4-digit numbers, and it's printed on BOTH sides of the tire. One side will have the DOT number followed by another 4 digit number (12 digits total), and those last 4 indicate the production date.

Example:

DOT FN83 D27X 2110

2110 represents the date in week/year format. So, this tire would've been made on the 21st week of the year 2010.
Just to clarify, if you look at the tire above and only see "DOT FN83 D27X", flip the tire over and find the DOT number followed by the production date on the other side.

Hope this helps some people :)

Last edited by The BOM; 01-10-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
A long time ago I had to bust my ass repairing and installing tires after school wit a manually operated tire changer... Back then I knew where and how to read the manufacture date but over the years forgot.... I sure do remember busting my ass though.... That is what happens when your father buys a service station and the hired help leaves the hard work for the bosses son.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
you're like a fortune cookie.

to buy tires, go to www.tirerack.com and talk to alex. can't beat his price and service.

done. :D
yes you can. tirerack prices are usually way higher than other online retailers

Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
A long time ago I had to bust my ass repairing and installing tires after school wit a manually operated tire changer... Back then I knew where and how to read the manufacture date but over the years forgot.... I sure do remember busting my ass though.... That is what happens when your father buys a service station and the hired help leaves the hard work for the bosses son.
Try mounting/dismounting runflats :P
You'll throw things, i guarantee it lol

Old 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hellypetro
Make sure you do not buy tires that have been in a storage building drying up this year. Sometimes, tire dealers to get a super low price on them and sell them at low prices. The problem is they wear out very quickly and has not seized by the new tires.
I bought a Dunlop Sport Max rear tire for a motorcycle that had been sitting in the motorcycle shop forever... I got a great price on it and after about 3000 miles it was worn slick. At 1000 miles the tread depth that started out at 6mm was down to 3mm... I bought tires for two of our other vehicles that were priced very low and they were also old stock and wore out in no time.