Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2007 FIT vs. 2006 Civic Sedan EX automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 AM
2007 FIT vs. 2006 Civic Sedan EX automatic

I am thinking of buying a FIT or a CIVIC EX, mostly because of Honda's reliability and Fuel Economy (and price, of course).

I really love (And kind of need) the cargo space present in the FIT,and its small size (Which makes parking easy), but reading reviews I've head they are bad for long trips (I'm driving it up to Vancouver in August - so if this is true - please let me know why), are bad when switching lanes in highways, and are bad going up and down hills. Anyone have any input on these things?

As far as the CIVIC, I like that its reliable, has a moonroof and a better center console (and other small storage areas) and has been rated a 9 in consumers guide review (whereas the FIt gets a 6). Because its a more powerful engine, I assume the highway shifting and hill problems that I've heard the FIT has wouldn't apply for the civic. I don't know about how this car performs for long rides.

Any advice? If anyone has any other advice on other hatchbacks that are compact size and under under $20,000, have high mpg and are reliable, please let me know!!

Old 05-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Ignore the consumer guide reviews, those numbers aren't very specific. Definitely take them both for a test drive and decide yourself if the passing power, accelleration, etc. is enough for you. From what everyone says here, they're plenty fast for everyday driving! I found the seats extremely comfortable and supportive for our test drive, and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about long trips in the Fit.

A loaded Civic, with moonroof, etc., will be MUCH more expensive than the Fit. If you really need a moonroof, you can get one aftermarket for around $1000.

On our test drive, there were three of us in the car and there was still enough pep to pass folks and get up to speed. Those that already have their Fit will be able to answer your questions better, though. :)

Old 05-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
Ignore the consumer guide reviews, those numbers aren't very specific. Definitely take them both for a test drive and decide yourself if the passing power, accelleration, etc. is enough for you. From what everyone says here, they're plenty fast for everyday driving! I found the seats extremely comfortable and supportive for our test drive, and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about long trips in the Fit.

A loaded Civic, with moonroof, etc., will be MUCH more expensive than the Fit. If you really need a moonroof, you can get one aftermarket for around $1000.

On our test drive, there were three of us in the car and there was still enough pep to pass folks and get up to speed. Those that already have their Fit will be able to answer your questions better, though. :)
I do not belive you can get a moonroof for the USDM model because there are bars running where the roof would be and if you took them out it would be very unstable..

Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
Well, you also have to consider that you can get discounts on the Civic; I dont think the same can be said for a Fit.

It's not hard to get ~$1000 off MSRP for a Civic EX sedan. Thats yields a $2000 dollar difference between Civic EX and Fit Sport. If you add an aftermarket sunroof to the Fit for $1000, then thats only a $1000 dollar difference between Civic EX and Fit Sport.

For some, that is substantial, for others, not. My opinion is that unless you really need a hatchback, I would recommend a Civic.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
I agree you need to test drive them to compare.

If you like them both, then the real question is: Do you need to haul stuff on a regular basis? If so, the Fit is a lot more versatile and can accomodate larger cargo.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Civic EX it is

I read this forum for many months and was looking to buy a Fit Sport automatic. When it came time to shop around I could not find the color I wanted and most dealers (I contacted 21) had marked the price up. I made the mistake of sitting in a new Civic EX. I did not test drive either one (this is my third Civic) and was able to find the color I wanted at less than MSRP, however I had to drive 3 hours to get what I wanted. I figure a couple of times a year I will miss the ability to haul something that will not fit in the Civic, but the rest of the time I will be riding in the lap of luxury. Good luck with your choice:)

Old 06-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I bought my fit because i waited 3 months for my 06 Civic Ex Sedan with 5spd manual transmission that never came :(

Old 06-06-2006, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
I have had the opportunity to make 8 hour road trips in both and while the Civic might be a bit more plush, and the shocks might absorb a little more of the road, the Fit ride was not bad in the least. I definitely felt bigger in the Civic and the MPG was comparable but overall I don't think I noticed that much of a difference.

Prior to the Fit road trip I figured it might be a rougher ride, but I was surprised at how totally comfortable it was, especially when you sit in the passenger seat in the refresh mode. That was chillin'.

I haven't had any problems in changing lanes in the Fit but I must admit that on hills I don't think either one was very powerful. The Civic might've been better than the Fit, but it still slowed down enough to notice.

Overall though, I think they are pretty different types of vehicles so it's just a matter of what you want, a small hatchback or more of a sedan/coupe style car. I don't think you'll be disappointed in either. It just comes down to preference. Good luck on your choice, it'll be tough to get one either way (MT at least.)

Old 09-29-2006, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by corey415
Well, you also have to consider that you can get discounts on the Civic; I dont think the same can be said for a Fit.

It's not hard to get ~$1000 off MSRP for a Civic EX sedan. Thats yields a $2000 dollar difference between Civic EX and Fit Sport. If you add an aftermarket sunroof to the Fit for $1000, then thats only a $1000 dollar difference between Civic EX and Fit Sport.

For some, that is substantial, for others, not. My opinion is that unless you really need a hatchback, I would recommend a Civic.
Your price of both will depend on where you live.
In my area you cannot get much of a discount on either CIVIC or FIT.
CIVIC Si is far above MSRP, CIVIC sedans are at best $100 less than MSRP while FIT is $2000 to $3000 over MSRP.

If you do the quick math the prices are very very close for CIVIC EX vs FIT sport both with AT. Plus the CIVIC you can sometimes find in stock within 2 to 6 weeks while the FIT is a 3 to 6 month wait.

So I bought a CIVIC EX AT for my wife and FIT Sport AT for my daughter.
The cargo capacity of the FIT is superior so if that is important then there is little to think about. CIVIC will handle four adults just fine and some cargo with the rear seat folded down (nice 60/40 split seat) Note that the CIVIC hybrid doesn't allow for rear seat fold down.

Around town both cars will work with agility going to the FIT. For cruising on the highway the CIVIC EX is nicer. For stock radio the FIT Sport is better.
If you are looking at AT for both the mpg is very similar.

If your area allows MSRP for both CIVIC and FIT then the CIVIC LX is a better match for the FIT sport and closer in price. You get some upgrades (alloy wheels/sunroof/rear seat cup holders and armrest/ rear 60/40 fold down seat/ upgraded stereo/ steering wheel controls) with the EX vs LX but nothing that fantastic and it basically functions the same. The FIT is more fun to drive of the two and the Sport comes with paddle shifters (which the CIVIC lacks).