Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

IT BEGINS.........my CRX build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Hell Kelso, you could not pick a better project!

You will have more fun with it than any other car you could have picked.
Keep an eye on Craigslist for parts. Junk yards have very few CRX's and specific pieces are hard to find. I ended up visiting just about every single yard from Sac to South SJ.

Is it going to be a "show and go"? If you are going for ultimate "go" you need to make rear hatch and doors go away. They weigh a ton! Still, even with a an Si with stock body and even sunroof my D16 with a few bolt on's revs to 9500rpm and maxed out suspension out brakes just about anything. Talking about toss-ability in canyons! It does not make insane HP figures, but extra rpm's sure give a lot more flexibility between corners!
My buddy with built 2.5L WRX and well over 400 wheel hp does not even have a prayer in a canyon. He is one hell of a driver too. I used to race two stroke race bikes on Mullholand above Rock Store when I had 008 RS Yoko's. It was even more insane past 1am. No "traffic" issues!

I am almost done resurrecting it. I am using it as a DD now. I even got 5 OEM 14" Si wheels through Craigslist for $150 and painted them titanium gray metallic with red "H" and put some A/S Pole Position Potenzas to make it more comfortable. 15" OZ will be restored and re-powder coated white for autoX and track duty.
I am not restoring it all out like you. No money for that. I just tried making it look decent so I do not get pulled over weekly like I used to. LOL!
I wish I had your budget for projects. I would keep my CRX as I have for the last 20 years and build a new, pristine OEM CRX from scratch. Once it gets to 25-30 years of age it will be worth some serious money. After that an all out track version as well. Right now that is just a pipe dream.

With over NA 200hp you will have some serious fun. Even more than me if you get suspension maxed out! We need to go for a cruise in the spring! Just "oldtimer" Honda's. Tyler needs to go with us too.

Man I love my Fit. It is the most fun Honda after the CRX, but CRX is so much more. Going back to Fit after a drive in a CRX is just pathetic.

Just build it for serious "abuse". CRX is meant to be driven! That is it's greatest factor. Keep the OEM front sway and get a fattest one for the rear you can find if carving is your intention. Actually get a clear picture for it's purpose. Different "applications" dictate different set up. You know that very well.

Enjoy it man!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
few new pictures added to the first post.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
I'm so excited to watch the build MOAR!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
engine bay painted championship white. i may just do this color for the white on the body because it looks pretty good and i dont feel like screwing with a 3 stage paint.

re-powder coated the valve cover. if anyone needs cheap powdercoating for small items in the bay area, pm me.

LSD type r tranny

personal grinta steering wheel w/ a true grant quick release

hasport b mounts

fitting up the other side to the X. not welded in yet, but its almost there

F&F coilover and a turbo (my dogs name is turbo)

thats all for now.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=kelsodeez;764558]engine bay painted championship white. i may just do this color for the white on the body because it looks pretty good and i dont feel like screwing with a 3 stage paint.

paint it all champ white!

07 at bonniville salt flats ^^^^

08 at rocky mountain raceways and millermotorsports park
it's getting a fresh block as we speak - oh and yes i run a soch d16z6 and to date have dyno'd 324 @ the wheels on 17psi and E85 - i like the dohc but like the prices of sohc stuff since i work in parts at a local honda dealer

i still think we need to start an ef "social group"/club, Tool mentioned calling it EF U - hell i'm gonna go design a logo/decal right now
I GOT MY EYE's PEELED ON THIS THREAD -- CRX's FTW

Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i like the all white, but i have a vision in my head for this car and i am already straying from the vision with deciding to do it champ white. btw, ur rex is pretty badass

Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Kelso--you're crx is going to be epic. I'm so excited to see the progress!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
next on the list of things to do is get an ecu, figure out how to get the spindle bearings out to replace them, and start gathering front brake stuff. heres what i have in mind for the front brakes.....

wilwood dynapro 4 piston billet calipers.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Damn that's going to be hot. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Love the white bay

Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
was championship white a stock ITR color?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:37 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
was championship white a stock ITR color?
exactly!! its either champ white or nhbp. i have a gallon of both. im probably just going to go all champ white and do all the trim pieces flat black. then have the cf roof and hood. that will look good.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
i want a crx!! or ee wagon:) i say all champ white. Are you going to keep it with the gutted interior? if so i would paint the whole inside white also cage and all. that tranny need a good scrubbing

Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wait4thefit
i want a crx!! or ee wagon:) i say all champ white. Are you going to keep it with the gutted interior? if so i would paint the whole inside white also cage and all. that tranny need a good scrubbing
the interior is staying gutted. im putting in one red bride vios seat. the cage is going to be red wrinkle, everything else will be NHBP except the dash. that will be flat black and made out of sheet metal. carbon fiber door panels, etc etc.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned
kelsey almost fap worthy haha

Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
oh god.. that is soo sexyy! cant wait to see how its gonna look. my uncle has a beat up 89 crx in his back yard gutted collecting dirt. i might just pick it up from him and start on my own project :)

Old 10-19-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
What are you building this for? Road racing?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DreaMv
oh god.. that is soo sexyy! cant wait to see how its gonna look. my uncle has a beat up 89 crx in his back yard gutted collecting dirt. i might just pick it up from him and start on my own project :)
do it!! parts are dirt cheap for the rex. and everyone is selling random stuff all the time. its a good project to do and with a b series, they are insanely fast.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:07 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
What are you building this for? Road racing?
yes sir. i am taking the spoon approach to building it. not too much power but perfectly balanced.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
yes sir. i am taking the spoon approach to building it. not too much power but perfectly balanced.
I knew you were going to mention Spoon. I'm going to be attending the 25 Hours of Thunderhill Endurance Race. Edmun invited me to come and watch. Are you going? I'd take my DB8, but I blew my tranny and bent a few valve at Buttonwillow last month.

Quick Reply: IT BEGINS.........my CRX build thread