Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Final Cash for Clunkers Rules posted!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Yes, I saw the date on the main site (not in the pdf). They mention consumers. And I assumed what they were doing was suggesting the consumer wait until Monday, to allow the dealer to get all registered up.

Someone has to print out all the forms. They aren't going to print themselves. And they all need to be filled out, by new buyers. I would guess people who have already purchased will have to go back and fill out the forms. All the forms have to be submitted for the credit to be issued.
Yeah...just today they changed the date on their site....it used to say the 24th, but as a result of the chaos that ensued today, they changed it to Monday's date. We'll see...I'm not holding my breath for Monday either....but I'm sure they'll eventually get it sorted out so dealers can register and manage it properly. I'm sure you are correct that the people that made deals early WILL have to go back and fill everything out.

Warner

Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by warner
Yeah...just today they changed the date on their site....it used to say the 24th, but as a result of the chaos that ensued today, they changed it to Monday's date. We'll see...I'm not holding my breath for Monday either....but I'm sure they'll eventually get it sorted out so dealers can register and manage it properly. I'm sure you are correct that the people that made deals early WILL have to go back and fill everything out.

Warner
I'm one of the ones in line, for a SSM sport MT. Have a deposit down on it, and am scheduled for delivery Monday the 27th, so I hope this goes thru. Going to call the dealership tomorrow and see what's up. I guess this weekend I'll take a look at the PDF.

Good call on the scrap value, I remember reading about that back at the beginning of July, but had forgotten about it.

Scrapping my '92 F150 that I bought new. It looks like hell now, but it runs like it did when it was new. The closest to any kind of engine repair was replacing the valve cover gasket.

Lethal injection, makes me feel like I'm putting down an old, much loved pet.

It's been a great truck, but I'd be lucky to get $600 - $800 if I sold it to someone myself.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I'd still suggest high-tailing it down to the dealership ASAP.

Check the news articles from today:

'Cash for clunkers' rules are released, sparking a rush - Los Angeles Times

P.S. that site posted earlier it not in any way, shape, or form related to the OFFICIAL CARS.gov site and program...
Federal 'cash for clunkers' program gets traction

The Associated Press: Meltdown 101: The cash for clunkers program

For those holding off...
U.S. Auto Sales May Reach 10 Million Pace This Month (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

If you've done your homework, and read the rules, and KNOW that you qualify for the max amount as well as being able to secure financing and have all the paperwork required...GO TO THE DEALERSHIP NOW.

You can download the pdf. You can print out the forms ahead of time and have them filled out so that you can either use the ones you've filled out or simply transfer the information to the forms provided at the dealership.

Get off your butt!!! Grab a dozen donuts and a bunch of coffee and camp out if you have to...

The Web site -- cars.gov -- began accepting dealer registrations at 7 a.m. Friday morning. "Once we get some people signed up and the rush slows, we'll be fine," the spokesman added.
Meanwhile, many dealers reported heavier-than-expected showroom traffic and said they are completing sales.
"Customers are coming and we are already doing a good number of clunker deals," said Marc Cannon, a spokesman for AutoNation Inc., the country's largest chain of car dealerships. The rebate, he said, "is bringing in traffic, no doubt about it."
In Houston, Alan Helfman, owner of River Oaks Chrysler Jeep, said he, too, is seeing heavy traffic and increased sales. Chrysler Group LLC has offered to double clunker rebates for which customers qualify.
"This thing is great, man," Mr. Helfman said. "People are coming in like you wouldn't believe."

'Clunkers' Draws Customers to Car Dealers - WSJ.com
-----------------------------------------

Dealers expect a buying frenzy beginning Monday, though it may be brief. The 250,000 deals nationwide average out to 5,000 transactions per state. Last year, in a bad economy, auto dealers in the four-county Dallas-Fort Worth area alone sold an average of 6,400 cars and trucks per week, according to figures from The Freeman Metroplex Recap of new-vehicle sales. Moreover, with new-vehicle sales down 30 percent nationally this year, most manufacturers have substantially cut their production of cars and trucks. Consequently, many dealerships have tight inventories.

Dallas-area drivers, dealers revved up for 'cash for clunkers' | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas Business News
-------------------------------

Y'all have basically a one-shot-deal that will PAY you to trade in something for more than it is worth.

Do NOT be fooled by additional dealer/manufacturer incentives. If another brand was out of the picture because of mileage and dependability, does it really deserve another look because of doubling the incentive? Some will say "Yes". But by golly, if you've ever had a vehicle that was undependable and required frequent trips to the repair shop, you'd know the answer..."NO, it's NOT worth it".

I could have GIVEN you an old car that did not run, and would require constant maintenance. Would you have taken me up on the offer? Probably not. So why would you choose to buy a NEW car that will require the same constant (costly) maintenance?

Anyone who misses out on this opportunity that totally qualifies...well, that is their OWN fault. I can't drag anyone to a showroom or MAKE them buy a new car.

Go tomorrow. Really.

If the financing doesn't go through, work your butt off to try to find financing.

ONE TIME DEAL.

Get it yet?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
An estimate from a news article today, another real good reason to get to your dealership:

The slowdown added additional anxiety to the first-come first-served nature of the $1 billion program. With more than 20,000 automotive dealerships across the country, at an average of $4,000 a pop for each clunker trade-in, it averages to about 12 clunker sales per dealership.

Internet bottleneck stalls ‘clunker’ trades : Home: The Buffalo News

Twelve sales per dealership. Yikes!

And just in case anyone is in the San Francisco area looking for a white stick sport nav, they have one at Concord Honda!
New and Used Honda Dealership in Concord, California | Concord Honda

They have a pretty good selection right now, at least what they are showing online as being available.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
From www.cashforclunkersfacts.com

Cash for Clunkers Delayed Until Monday 27th
You do know that site is not at all connected with the government site and is run by a marketing group?

That kind of site is considered a scam site in this news report:

Con artists stepped into the information void, and scores of unofficial "Cash for Clunkers" Web sites began popping up.

Many claim -- falsely -- that consumers must preregister to participate in the program. Some ask for addresses, phone numbers and Social Security numbers, none of which is required. Others promise to put consumers in touch with "authorized" dealers.

"Nobody should be fooled into registering or giving out personal information," Cordray said. "If anyone asks for that, it's a scam."

The Columbus Dispatch : Consumer 10 Report: Scams pose as 'Cash for Clunkers' program

-------

Their main site:
http://www.paschconsulting.com/

Scroll down...talks about generating leads (sales leads) and features both the site you posted, as well as the twin site here:
http://www.nocashforclunkers.com/

Notice they have Chrysler advertising? LOL!

And more scamming, just add your name and email to their "petition" along with description of your car. Um....NO THANKS
http://www.nocashforclunkers.com/cas...nkers-petition

SCAMS!!!! Disguised sales tools, for dealers to bug you.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 07-26-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
You do know that site is not at all connected with the government site and is run by a marketing group?

That kind of site is considered a scam site in this news report:

Con artists stepped into the information void, and scores of unofficial "Cash for Clunkers" Web sites began popping up.

Many claim -- falsely -- that consumers must preregister to participate in the program. Some ask for addresses, phone numbers and Social Security numbers, none of which is required. Others promise to put consumers in touch with "authorized" dealers.

"Nobody should be fooled into registering or giving out personal information," Cordray said. "If anyone asks for that, it's a scam."

The Columbus Dispatch : Consumer 10 Report: Scams pose as 'Cash for Clunkers' program
Yes of course I realize that the site that I posted the link to is not government run. But it is NOT a "scam site" by anyone's definition. They don't ask for any personal information and they have provided the most up to date AND accurate information on the program in fact. I haven't found ONE thing on the site that is incorrect - if you find something posted on there that is wrong, let me know. Futhermore, they link to resources directly ON the cars.gov site.

I would LOVE to run to my dealer and buy the car that they are holding for me tomorrow. HOWEVER, they have not been able to register for the program yet because the servers put in place to handle the registration process were overloaded within an hour of the start of the registration. Rules have been unclear - and still ARE even after the lengthy PDF explaining the rules (such as - How is the "salvage value" of the clunker determined and who get the value above $50?) If you click on the link (provided by the site that you think is a scam) to the cars.gov site and look at the dealers that are registered, you will find that hardly ANY were able get registered. Here's the link to registered dealers by state - check it out and see what I mean: CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Dealer Locator - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

You will also find that the dealers are being asked to stick their necks out in the sense that they must administer the "lethal injection" to the clunker BEFORE submitting the transaction for approval. I'd be willing to bet the farm that this is going to cause some problems. What happens if a transaction ISN'T approved and the dealer has already administered the lethal injection to the customer's trade in? Here's the link to the story: Dealers Forced to Play Cash for Clunkers Russian Roulette

If you know of a place to obtain more accurate or up to date information about the program, please share it.

Warner

Old 07-26-2009, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Yes of course I realize that the site that I posted the link to is not government run. But it is NOT a "scam site" by anyone's definition. They don't ask for any personal information and they have provided the most up to date AND accurate information on the program in fact. I haven't found ONE thing on the site that is incorrect - if you find something posted on there that is wrong, let me know. Futhermore, they link to resources directly ON the cars.gov site.

I would LOVE to run to my dealer and buy the car that they are holding for me tomorrow. HOWEVER, they have not been able to register for the program yet because the servers put in place to handle the registration process were overloaded within an hour of the start of the registration. Rules have been unclear - and still ARE even after the lengthy PDF explaining the rules (such as - How is the "salvage value" of the clunker determined and who get the value above $50?) If you click on the link (provided by the site that you think is a scam) to the cars.gov site and look at the dealers that are registered, you will find that hardly ANY were able get registered. Here's the link to registered dealers by state - check it out and see what I mean: CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Dealer Locator - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

You will also find that the dealers are being asked to stick their necks out in the sense that they must administer the "lethal injection" to the clunker BEFORE submitting the transaction for approval. I'd be willing to bet the farm that this is going to cause some problems. What happens if a transaction ISN'T approved and the dealer has already administered the lethal injection to the customer's trade in? Here's the link to the story: Dealers Forced to Play Cash for Clunkers Russian Roulette

If you know of a place to obtain more accurate or up to date information about the program, please share it.

Warner
Left hand side of site:

And the text :
If you would like a dealer to call you, complete the form on the left. On the form, fill in the car you will be trading in and indicate the car that you want to purchase.
We can connect you with a local dealer in your area who will help you with the purchase and that is familiar with the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), the new name for what the Senate and Congress has referred to as the “Cash for Clunkers” bill.
-----

They do give legitimate links. But it is also misleading. Do you think they have CERTAIN dealers, or use ALL dealers?
Auto Dealer Microsites | Car Dealer Websites | Automotive Microsites

And this is CRITICAL CARS information:
Twitter / brianpasch: Getting a spa pedicure in ...

-----

Most up to date info?
Consumer 10 Report Scams pose as &#39... - Google News

If that link doesn't work, go to Google.com, click on News, scroll down to find the latest update on the CARS program. Then click on the link that has the largest number...
all 1,347 news articles »

You'll get a page of articles, you can select more.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Left hand side of site:

And the text :
If you would like a dealer to call you, complete the form on the left. On the form, fill in the car you will be trading in and indicate the car that you want to purchase.
We can connect you with a local dealer in your area who will help you with the purchase and that is familiar with the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), the new name for what the Senate and Congress has referred to as the “Cash for Clunkers” bill.
-----

They do give legitimate links. But it is also misleading. Do you think they have CERTAIN dealers, or use ALL dealers?
Perhaps they do work with selected dealers....who knows? I don't fault them for getting paid (by the dealers) for providing the information that they do, if that is the case. My point was that they are not "scamming" or taking advantage of anyone illegally. If you supply the information to be contacted by a dealer, then you will probably be contacted by a dealer. I don't think there anything wrong with that, do you?

I HAVE gotten the best and most current information from their tweets on Twitter. I will check the Google links that you provided. I really only have 2 questions still unanswered. They are:

When will my dealer be registered?

AND

If the salvage value is more than $50, who gets the money?

Other than that, I'm ready to go!

Warner

Old 07-26-2009, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
All the dealers that got greedy, and jumped the gun before the final rules were posted, have no one to blame but themselves.

From what I've seen and read, many people here on the FitFreak site have a better handle on what is up with CARS than do some of the dealers. That's one reason I started the other thread on the dealer experience.

Obviously anyone who bought before the final rules were posted did not fill out all the forms that were posted along with the final rules. They'll have to go back to the dealership to fill them out. And provide any information they did not provide the first time around.

Everyone is walking around with cartoon dollar signs in their eyes. Cha-ching. Cha-ching. The sound of money echoing through their heads.

The early birds wanted the guaranteed worm (first customers)...they wanted a BIGGER slice of the pie (Hyundai).

If they eat some of the cars, and don't get reimbursed, it's their own fault.

I did check out my state for the Dealer Locator. What a mess that is. There are duplicates up the wazoo. Some have the same assigned number, but are listed twice. Others have different assigned numbers, but are listed twice. I suppose that could be for different makes/models in the same dealership, but it's not all that clear on that dealer locator what is what. And, bonus, some don't have phone numbers. Not very helpful for consumers.

I could have done better with a pencil, piece of paper, and one incoming phone line.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
I really only have 2 questions still unanswered. They are:

When will my dealer be registered?

AND

If the salvage value is more than $50, who gets the money?

Other than that, I'm ready to go!

Warner
I don't know. I can try waving my magic wand around a bit. I know it looks like a wooden spoon, but it's a cleverly disguised magic wand. Wouldn't want something like that stolen.

YOU get the money in excess of $50.00...

No...wait...

*I* get the money in excess of $50.00!!!

Yay me!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:51 PM
All the dealers that got greedy, and jumped the gun before the final rules were posted, have no one to blame but themselves.

From what I've seen and read, many people here on the FitFreak site have a better handle on what is up with CARS than do some of the dealers. That's one reason I started the other thread on the dealer experience.

Obviously anyone who bought before the final rules were posted did not fill out all the forms that were posted along with the final rules. They'll have to go back to the dealership to fill them out. And provide any information they did not provide the first time around.

Everyone is walking around with cartoon dollar signs in their eyes. Cha-ching. Cha-ching. The sound of money echoing through their heads.

The early birds wanted the guaranteed worm (first customers)...they wanted a BIGGER slice of the pie (Hyundai).

If they eat some of the cars, and don't get reimbursed, it's their own fault.

I did check out my state for the Dealer Locator. What a mess that is. There are duplicates up the wazoo. Some have the same assigned number, but are listed twice. Others have different assigned numbers, but are listed twice. I suppose that could be for different makes/models in the same dealership, but it's not all that clear on that dealer locator what is what. And, bonus, some don't have phone numbers. Not very helpful for consumers.

I could have done better with a pencil, piece of paper, and one incoming phone line.

Hahaha...yeah, it's a cluster for sure. It gets even better though...sometimes what is listed is the corporation that owns the dealership(s), making it even MORE of a mystery who to contact. And I don't know about all of the states, but when I checked Illinois last night, it was rather "curious" that there wasn't a SINGLE foreign car dealer listed! Hmmm...talk about smelling fishy! I agree with you about jumping the gun......and the feds tasking the dealers with making SURE the cars they are taking in trade meets ALL of the requirements isn't horrible...with the exception of they should probably let them pre-qualify all of the other requirements before they give it the "lethal injection"

Warner

Old 07-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't know. I can try waving my magic wand around a bit. I know it looks like a wooden spoon, but it's a cleverly disguised magic wand. Wouldn't want something like that stolen.

YOU get the money in excess of $50.00...

No...wait...

*I* get the money in excess of $50.00!!!

Yay me!
I wasn't specifically asking YOU for the answers...Hehehe. Just listing my questions. The part about the money in excess of $50 is not clear yet....that is a question that people are waiting for the NHTSA to answer more completely. On top of that, I just got tweets (in the last minute) from the site I mentioned saying that the fuel economy numbers on the fueleconomy.gov site HAVE CHANGED recently. They have customers sending in screen shots from even just a few days ago....they are advising dealers to get screen shots from the fueleconomy.gov site for their own protection! Wow....interesting. And these are the guys that want to manage our HEALTHCARE? Hahaha.....sorry for the tangent....just thinking out loud.

Warner

PS - Not all of the fuel economy numbers are going UP...so if your vehicle was listed at 19mpg last week, disqualifying you from using the program, CHECK AGAIN! The 1997 Chrysler LHS for example, went from 19mpg down to 18mpg, qualifying it for the program.

Last edited by warner; 07-26-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 07-26-2009, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Hahaha...yeah, it's a cluster for sure. It gets even better though...sometimes what is listed is the corporation that owns the dealership(s), making it even MORE of a mystery who to contact. And I don't know about all of the states, but when I checked Illinois last night, it was rather "curious" that there wasn't a SINGLE foreign car dealer listed! Hmmm...talk about smelling fishy! I agree with you about jumping the gun......and the feds tasking the dealers with making SURE the cars they are taking in trade meets ALL of the requirements isn't horrible...with the exception of they should probably let them pre-qualify all of the other requirements before they give it the "lethal injection"

Warner
Holy crap, Illinois is all Ford! Almost all. Maybe the Ford people cut the phone lines of the imports.

Probably a memo, telling them they'd get a bonus if they got up and started dialing at midnight and made it in the first day. Spiffs for registration. That's what I'd do to encourage my people to register. Although I don't have any people. Or dealerships.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Holy crap, Illinois is all Ford! Almost all. Maybe the Ford people cut the phone lines of the imports.

Probably a memo, telling them they'd get a bonus if they got up and started dialing at midnight and made it in the first day. Spiffs for registration. That's what I'd do to encourage my people to register. Although I don't have any people. Or dealerships.

Yeah...I know a lot of people were PO'd that they made the program available to non-American made vehicles. Maybe this was the feeble attempt that the feds made to "make up" for it by giving the American makers a bit of preferential treatment? Hmmmm.....

Warner

Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
I wasn't specifically asking YOU for the answers...Hehehe. Just listing my questions. The part about the money in excess of $50 is not clear yet....that is a question that people are waiting for the NHTSA to answer more completely. On top of that, I just got tweets (in the last minute) from the site I mentioned saying that the fuel economy numbers on the fueleconomy.gov site HAVE CHANGED recently. They have customers sending in screen shots from even just a few days ago....they are advising dealers to get screen shots from the fueleconomy.gov site for their own protection! Wow....interesting. And these are the guys that want to manage our HEALTHCARE? Hahaha.....sorry for the tangent....just thinking out loud.

Warner

PS - Not all of the fuel economy numbers are going UP...so if your vehicle was listed at 19mpg last week, disqualifying you from using the program, CHECK AGAIN! The 1997 Chrysler LHS for example, went from 19mpg down to 18mpg, qualifying it for the program.
Yup, Selden posted about that here, magically changing combined mpg:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post706474

I'm wondering if some of the downward numbers are to get the main polluters off the road? That would seem to be cheating on the epa's part and something they should not be doing. Scandalous!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 PM
I agreed to buy a car/put a deposit on July 24th, but my dealer is having trouble with the program, as mentioned above. The car I CASH'd out was a 1996 Chevy Suburban and he has all the paperwork that he has to submit, so I hope it happens soon.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
All my local dealers were sleazeballs who lied to me every chance they had about this program, so I went through internet sales at a dealer about 60 miles away.

He did a dealer trade for the Taffeta White MT Sport with no deposit and held it for two weeks.

We had an appointment for 10 am Friday the 24th. I saw the final rule was posted and drove in. He had told me the day before that I would need to be patient because I was the test case and it would probably turn into a clusterf**k. Which of course it did, when they couldn't get in to register.

We did the deal anyway, and I will be faxing in whatever paperwork we missed. I was prepared and have been ready since June 15 to do this deal.
I had already done the math and figured 12 deals per dealership, this wasn't going to last long, on top of Hyundai already doing it early.

Anyway, I have the new Fit and will miss my 1990 Toyota 4WD the gov't decided was worth $4500.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
While it is a pain to do all of the paperwork on my end (dealer) this program will be over in 10-12 days. It'd 250k cars total and we did 24 the first day and a half at a small dealership.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stevens24
While it is a pain to do all of the paperwork on my end (dealer) this program will be over in 10-12 days. It'd 250k cars total and we did 24 the first day and a half at a small dealership.
I think you're about right on the length and numbers:

Galpin has heavily promoted CARS and had collected about 40 clunkers by the weekend, most battered and worn out, and worth about $200 or $300, he says. As CARS trade-ins, though, they're worth up to $4,500.
Dealers crave cash-for-clunkers buyers; what qualifies? - USATODAY.com
----------

And it does my heart good to see folks get a better car than what they had, like the folks here who traded in an old Econoline with a CB and black smoke:
Ready, set, go as 'cash for clunkers' bonanza begins - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

Those are the people for which the program was intended, I think. But the guy at the top of the picture, with what looks like a perfectly good Oldsmobile. That, I feel, is taking advantage of the situation.

Wait a minute, that Olds doesn't even qualify for the clunker program. The 88 at the top of the page. The Bravada mentioned lower does, though, with the lower mileage.
------

Certainly getting the black smoke billowing vehicles off the road is a good thing. And older, less reliable vehicles too.

More good stories...the families so good looking and happy!

“There was traffic on the way, and I just couldn’t wait to get here,” said John Christakos at Premier Ford on Glenwood Road in Brooklyn after he turned over his beat-up 1998 Dodge Durango for a steep discount on a brand-new Ford Escape.
“When we heard about Cash for Clunkers, I said, ‘That’s it,’” recalled Christakos, who had been pining for a new car for two years but just couldn’t bring himself to pull the trigger.

Choquangsam and her husband were already thinking about buying a new car to replace their 1988 Nissan Pathfinder because she is five months pregnant with their second child.
The creaky old SUV had 170,000 miles on it and no air conditioning. It drained their wallet every time they hit the pump.

Notice what else it said, the Honda/Acura place has sold 40 vehicles under the program and he has ordered 360 more vehicles. Hopefully all the dealerships won't go nuts with ordering too many vehicles that might end up sitting on the lot.

The money is only going to go so far. And I don't think that the dealership mentioned in the article has considered the time frame, and number of dealerships selling like crazy.

Stevens24, what's your take on that? What's going on at your place? Ordering more cars just to replace what was sold? Or ordering extra? Love to hear what is going on from the dealership end.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Tonight may be the night!

Well, I just got off the phone with my dealer and although the official site doesn't show them yet, they ARE in fact registered for the program. So my plan is to go get my car tonight. I'll keep everyone here posted on how it goes, and then tell the whole story of my experience with this dealer...whether it be good or bad...yet to be determined.

Warner

Quick Reply: Final Cash for Clunkers Rules posted!