Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

hood deflector: effective or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
hood deflector: effective or not?

i would like to know if hood deflector is effective or not. i read they are aerodynamically designed to provide protection against stone chips, bugs stains and whatnot. but are there any cons (besides the look)?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i like how they keep changing the name of these. toyota and subaru names them a bug guard. honda calls them hood deflector. i think its a personal preferance. i dont like them so i wont ever use them but im sure they help the first couple inches of your hood stay bug and rock and debris free, but thats my opinion.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
my parents had one on their old Ford Explorer and it seemed to help. I am planning on picking one up before our next road trip. my fiance and i both drive fits, so we can share 1 hood deflector. i'm just wondering if it is going to effect aerodynamics enough to effect MPGs on the open highway.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned
I bought the first one in the U.S. from Canada, and did a DIY Install/review. I loved it. Absolutely NO downside at all. I just bought the new version for my GE8, and I am even more impressed with the quality. Will post a review with photos either today or tomorrow. I convinced Zeta Products to become the U.S. distributor for the Canadian manufacturer, who makes all deflectors for Honda Canada. As with the last generation Honda Hood Deflectors, the ones for the GE Fits from Zeta are the OEM Honda deflectors.

Now, if you are like some other poster who do not like the look, then obviously these are not for you. I personally do like the look, the rock protection, and the absence of bugs on the windshield. I like those things A LOT.

The new deflector matches the angular creases in the hood, and looks very similar to the wings of a stealth fighter plane. The new mounting hardware is even more heavy duty than on the last version. I think that the deflector improves the appearance of the car.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
^^ I Agree!!!

I have the deflector fom Zeta and I think it looks good (especially with the Mugen Visors). I think I can give the best opinion as I drive 130 miles/day in the dessert area and my bumper is all chipped up but my carbon fiber hood is rock chip free with minimal bugs.

The one from Zeta are also real good because they have the front gap to allow debris from being caught and making it easier to wash. I have not noticed any MPG changes whatsover.

If you wanna see pics go ahead and click link on my sig for pics. Leave a comment if you' d like :)

Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by junior40er
^^ I Agree!!!

I have the deflector fom Zeta and I think it looks good (especially with the Mugen Visors). I think I can give the best opinion as I drive 130 miles/day in the dessert area and my bumper is all chipped up but my carbon fiber hood is rock chip free with minimal bugs.

The one from Zeta are also real good because they have the front gap to allow debris from being caught and making it easier to wash. I have not noticed any MPG changes whatsover.

If you wanna see pics go ahead and click link on my sig for pics. Leave a comment if you' d like :)
junior, wait 'til you see the '09 version. My review and photos will be delayed a day or two until our overcast goes away and the light is available for decent photos.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
sweet, I dont have a 09 but its nice the GE guys are getting one real quick.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Former Vendor
The '09 deflectors are quite good in terms of quality and style. Wait to see images from manxman. :-)