Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

E30 M3 or AP1 S2000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by scarygoldlion
AP1!!! Realiable, fun, & plus its a honda. M3 is a cool car.... but think in the long run of maintainance & service it will kill you!
why must you kill my joy by injecting reality into this conversation?

you bring up a very valid point though.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
my buddy has a boosted 97 m3, and he has been running this set-up for 4 years without problems at all. I wish people speak from experience instead of out their ass.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Who cares if an M3 is unreliable... Owning an M3... ESPECIALLY an E30 is owning a part of history! They look excellent stock and even better modded, if you can afford an E30 i'd much rather get one over an S2000. Yes the S2k is fast and all, but who cares? There will always be like millions of other S2000s. The E30 M3 is truly one of a kind

Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dank24
my buddy has a boosted 97 m3, and he has been running this set-up for 4 years without problems at all. I wish people speak from experience instead of out their ass.
the e30 is from 1988-1991. your friend's car is an e36.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned
get the s2 and throw some boost on that

Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Thats a tough one. I would probably go for the ap1 just because it is newer. Not to say bmw is unreliable because it is! its just that the ap1 seems to be a better overall tuning platform. But e30 m3's are so sexy...

Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I stick with S2000. These engines repond quick, I'd turbo it. BMW is not a bad choice but all you doing is adding luxury and higher maintenance bills down the long road....it'lll cost you more. Stick to Honda S2000 w/Turbo. Without turbo I go for BMW.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
jmo, the s2000 is a terrible platform if you want to go genuinely fast. it is known for snap oversteer, turbo'd S2Ks put down as much power as an Evo 9 with a bolt on exhaust and tune (but for a lot more money and less reliability when actually putting down power). S2Ks do terribly in time attacks. shoot, the new CTR is faster than it, and that thing is FWD.

but yes, the E30 is indeed an old BMW. and i keep coming back to the thought of paying for nitnoid crap for the lifetime of the car like window seals, steering pump, this and that bushing, etc.

so thats the thing. this is not some track record setting car. it has to be fun to drive without going ludicrous speed and will stay NA. that's the reason i'm getting out of my current car - i have to get the car so fast to that if something happens (if a deer jumps out, or if i have a brain fart) it will be catastrophic.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
jmo, the s2000 is a terrible platform if you want to go genuinely fast.
Wow... That sure is something. Just one question for you sir. Have you ever driven an S2000?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
yup. it's a fantastic, fun car. but if i were doing something serious, it would not be on my radar as the car to go set lap records in. narrow, short wheelbase, heavy considering its footprint and lack of content. set it up for lots of power and the car loses the balance that makes it so awesome to begin with.

there are cars where you turn the wick up, the chassis doesnt lose its poise. i don't think the S2K is that sort of car. so that's why i say genuinely fast, like i'm not out and about goofing around but i have phasers to kill and there are no excuses. there are waaay better platforms for that.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
the cost of repairs on the E30 M3 is crazy.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
yup. it's a fantastic, fun car. but if i were doing something serious, it would not be on my radar as the car to go set lap records in. narrow, short wheelbase, heavy considering its footprint and lack of content. set it up for lots of power and the car loses the balance that makes it so awesome to begin with.

there are cars where you turn the wick up, the chassis doesnt lose its poise. i don't think the S2K is that sort of car. so that's why i say genuinely fast, like i'm not out and about goofing around but i have phasers to kill and there are no excuses. there are waaay better platforms for that.
You do know the S2000 was designed to be a track car right? The amazing F22C motor, the front and rear double wishbone suspension, and the amazingly solid chassis. I know so many people who road race their S2000s and my goodness, they are fast. I track my DB8 and there is no way I can keep up with an S2000 in the corners. How you say that the S2000 has no potential for serious racing is total blasphemy. As a road racer and a Honda enthusiast, I can't agree with you. Yes, there are better platforms that the S2000, but I can't deny that that the S2000 is a great car.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
You do know the S2000 was designed to be a track car right? The amazing F22C motor, the front and rear double wishbone suspension, and the amazingly solid chassis. I know so many people who road race their S2000s and my goodness, they are fast. I track my DB8 and there is no way I can keep up with an S2000 in the corners. How you say that the S2000 has no potential for serious racing is total blasphemy. As a road racer and a Honda enthusiast, I can't agree with you. Yes, there are better platforms that the S2000, but I can't deny that that the S2000 is a great car.
i have already stated that the S2K is a fantastic car. the F22 is available in one market. care to guess which one and what that has to say about it (sorry, had to throw that jab in there, i'm partial to the F20)? front and rear double wishbone is technically wonderful, but how many higher performing cars "get away" with macpherson struts? a solid chassis is good, but mustangs are often faster around a track (and those things are truly disposable cars).

my point: arguing technical merits in this thread misses the point. i probably shouldnt have jumped in with my opinion about S2K's and their ultimate track potential. i'm asking people to pick an AP1 or an E30 M3. you don't have to preach to me, i already like the S2K.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
i have already stated that the S2K is a fantastic car. the F22 is available in one market. care to guess which one and what that has to say about it (sorry, had to throw that jab in there, i'm partial to the F20)? front and rear double wishbone is technically wonderful, but how many higher performing cars "get away" with macpherson struts? a solid chassis is good, but mustangs are often faster around a track (and those things are truly disposable cars).

my point: arguing technical merits in this thread misses the point. i probably shouldnt have jumped in with my opinion about S2K's and their ultimate track potential. i'm asking people to pick an AP1 or an E30 M3. you don't have to preach to me, i already like the S2K.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as an ass. But whatever you choose, it'll be a good one. I like both the E30 and the AP1.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
the cost of repairs on the E30 M3 is crazy.
^exactly.
I work on euro cars for a living... specifically VW/Audi/BMW. I love E30s and a friend of mine has a white 87 with the S52 motor swapped in it. It's QUICK... but repairs are COSTLY. BMW likes to charge for their parts, that's a fact. E30s are a gorgeous car, but that chassis is just as capable as the S2k. And yes, i've driven an S2k as well. Lovely drive. Shifter feel is much more positive in the S2K. The Bavarian is a tough player but you'll get more car for the $$$ if you stick with the S2000.

S2k+Hardtop>E30 M3
hope this helps :D

Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
man now i feel like a dick. it would have been more fun if you kept arguing for the s2k.
i will say this - my wallet and my brain say S2K. there's something that draws me to the M3 (not the roundel) though. i have been fortunate enough to push an S2000 around, but not the same extent in an E30 M3. everything i have read about the M3 makes it sound like Jesus himself did the suspension tuning.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
man now i feel like a dick. it would have been more fun if you kept arguing for the s2k.
i will say this - my wallet and my brain say S2K. there's something that draws me to the M3 (not the roundel) though. i have been fortunate enough to push an S2000 around, but not the same extent in an E30 M3. everything i have read about the M3 makes it sound like Jesus himself did the suspension tuning.
Haha! I just don't want things to get out of hand. We could argue all day and night, but I was getting tired.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
I cannot lie... Msport knows what's up. And my buddy's E30 (i worked on it :D) is not an M3... but he does have H&R suspension and a HUGE front strut bar. So take my review of the E30 with a small grain of salt.

Either way, you're gonna get one hell of a car. I'd have to say the S2k would probably endure a thrashing better than a BMW. We call them BMWobblies because bushings go bad all the time and they're on every suspension joint imagineable on those cars. If you do decide on the M3, get records! I cannot stress the difference between a maintained BMW and a neglected one.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 PM
It all boils down to what you would enjoy the most. S2k=cheaper to own in the long run. My dad has worked for BMW manufacturing since they opened their plant in SC(about 11 years ago?) and he has said exactly what people on here are saying. The up-keep on the E30 would be a lot more expensive then the S2k. But if you have the money, i would go for the E30. Its one hell of a car. In a recent Grassroots article they tested all 4 M3's and the E30 completely blew away the E36 in almost every category..

Again. If you have money get the E30. If you want a VERY reliable, yet still fun to drive car, go for the S2K

Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Coming from a ex BMW owner I would choose the s2000 for a lot of reasons. Like the others have said reliability and maintenance cost. This seems like a easy decision a 20 year old car or a newer car for pretty much the same price.

Quick Reply: E30 M3 or AP1 S2000?