Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

jdm center console

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:31 AM
jdm center console

hey i just got my jdm center console for my fit and was wondering if anyone who installed theirs had a hard time doing so?? any tips so i don't break anything?? keep in mind i am car-illiterate so simple instructions will do =)
thanks much for your time guys!!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by chinese
hey i just got my jdm center console for my fit and was wondering if anyone who installed theirs had a hard time doing so?? any tips so i don't break anything?? keep in mind i am car-illiterate so simple instructions will do =)
thanks much for your time guys!!
You can get pdf. instructions and even see a video on the installation at College Hills Honda.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
If it takes more than 30 minutes and a philips screwdriver, your doing something wrong.

a few tips to make your life easier.

1.Pull up the hand brake and put the grear shift into 2nd (MT) or S (AT).
2.Very carefully hook your finger under the brake handle and pull out the knockout. After you pop each clip move your finger right up to the next clip to keep from breaking the knockout. If you do break it (like I did mine) a little superglue carefully applied will fix the problem.
3. Push the center of the front clips and after they pop remove them. Reset the clips so the center pin protrudes for reuse on the installation.

Check out the video here click on the video on the first product listing. That is the console. Measure twice cut once or in this case...
Watch it twice, install without a problem once.:D
Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2007-2008 Honda Fit Interior Accessories

Last edited by seeremlive; 08-13-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is still in transit. It will be my little weekend project to install. Yaaay! :D

Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 PM
it took me literally 10 minutes to install, a couple of screws and clips and its in, the hardest part for me was the power outlet swap

Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied
it took me literally 10 minutes to install, a couple of screws and clips and its in, the hardest part for me was the power outlet swap
i agree. whole thing was pretty easy to do. took me about 20 minutes or so.. hardest part was the power outlet swap. thanks a lot for your advice guys!!

and the armrest fits flush too. love it!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Yea.. its a very easy install. The only problem I had was keep the change in my old console from falling all over my driveway. :-/

Glad you like... Actually, you better like it for the money. ;)

Old 08-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I had the same trouble getting the power socket out of the old plastic housing and into the new plastic housing. I had to break the tabs off to get it to release the power socket and that took some time to do. The rest of the install was super easy !

Old 08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Hello...newbie here. Got my new Fit (vivid blue) on July 30th. And thanks to this website I found out about the console/armrest.

I ordered it on 8/9 from College Hills Honda (paid $299 + shipping...I didn't want to wait) got it last week (fast!) and installed it this weekend. I tried to change out the power socket and was having trouble also. So I decided to insert the old plastic housing/socket into new console and it fit fine. So I didn't change out the plastic housing. Apparently, it's not absolutely necessary.

The console was sooooooo easy to install! Especially with the help of the video at College Hills Honda website. I did most of the work (my husband is unable to do it because he has bad hips).

We love the console/armrest!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
While I was installing mine in January, I had a brainfart and almost punctured the rubber shift boot with the shifter trying to position everything at the end. Almost had a heart attack until I realized I hadn't torn it. :)

-Mike

Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
OH I almost did that too when I installed mine, I almost had a heart attack, but alas, its rubber and it stretched rather than pierced LOL.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I just installed mine today.. took about 45 minutes, mostly because I'm a complete noob when it comes to installing anything on a car. All these stupid plastic clips drive me crazy!

The most difficult part for me was undoubtedly, of all things, the front plastic clips. Getting them out was such a pain, and in the end, neither of them survived.

Then I saw seeremlive's post about pushing the center of the clip in, and felt like a complete moron. :confused:

Besides that, I also reused the old plastic housing for the cigarette lighter, which fit fine (fortunately I didn't break that getting it out!). I manaed to nick the side of the brake knockout, so it's slightly damaged on one side, but nothing I can't life with.

At the end of the day, I'm rather proud of myself, given my lack of installation skills. :D And now I have a proper armrest, made for the car, and not a crappy third-party aftermarket. I made the right decision.

Now... does anyone know where I can score a couple of replacement front clips?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITDragon
The most difficult part for me was undoubtedly, of all things, the front plastic clips. Getting them out was such a pain, and in the end, neither of them survived.

Then I saw seeremlive's post about pushing the center of the clip in, and felt like a complete moron.
We had the same problem with the front clips. Then we went inside to the computer and watched the video from College Hills Honda again and realized that you had to push in the center of the clips to "eject" them. I would have definitely broken mine if it wasn't for that video.

Good luck on finding new clips. :)

Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by dosbirn
We had the same problem with the front clips. Then we went inside to the computer and watched the video from College Hills Honda again and realized that you had to push in the center of the clips to "eject" them. I would have definitely broken mine if it wasn't for that video.

Good luck on finding new clips. :)
Yup, I watched the same video, and saw the guy prying the clip off with a screwdriver. I guess I didn't watch closely enough. I think a printed online manuel wouldve been better for me :o

Old 08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Actually, I was also using the online printed instructions and it didn't go into detail about those front clips. It just said to remove them (unless I missed something).

However, the printed instructions did tell us to remove the "flap" at the front (top-left corner, right above the cigarette lighter) from the old console and add it to the new console. The video did not show this. I don't think the "flap" was a necessary part to swap because there was only one on the left side, and not on the right. But it was easy enough to swap so we did.

So...we learned a little from both the manual and video.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Huh, I don't recall any "flap".. I'll have to look again.

Took my baby out this morning on the commute to work, giving this new armrest a shakedown. Overall, I'm quite pleased, though I do wish the cupholders were the same size as the American console.. my Vitamin Waters don't fit anymore. :( Something I'll have to live with. But having the armrest is why I got the thing, so in that regard, I'm quite pleased. And I didn't even have to buy foam to put on the inside like on the original console! :)

Maybe today I'll see if I can superglue those clips back together. I doubt I'm ever going to be able to find replacements. I can just see the parts department at Autowest Honda laughing at me now. :rotfl:

Old 08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry - what I referred to as a "flap", the printed instructions actually call a "cover". It's listed in step #6 (remove from old) and #12 (install on new).

But the picture shows it on the right-hand side (passenger) of the console. Mine was actually on the driver side. And if I remember correctly, the console had the same 'connectors' for the 5 retaining prawls on both sides...but only 1 cover was installed.

The instructions also mention in step #4 and #16 an inner clip that my old console didn't have. And, the fitting for that clip was not on the old console yet it was on the new console. We just skipped this step.

Hope this makes sense. :)

Old 08-22-2008, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITDragon
Huh, I don't recall any "flap".. I'll have to look again.

Took my baby out this morning on the commute to work, giving this new armrest a shakedown. Overall, I'm quite pleased, though I do wish the cupholders were the same size as the American console.. my Vitamin Waters don't fit anymore. :( Something I'll have to live with. But having the armrest is why I got the thing, so in that regard, I'm quite pleased. And I didn't even have to buy foam to put on the inside like on the original console! :)

Maybe today I'll see if I can superglue those clips back together. I doubt I'm ever going to be able to find replacements. I can just see the parts department at Autowest Honda laughing at me now. :rotfl:

Wow, so a 20oz bottle doesn't fit in this console but does in the stock one? I'm guessing you mean the two main holders in the front that are removable in this console? I was just about to order one of these but that may make me think about it. My wife always has a 20oz bottle of water wherever we go and if she can't put it there, she may be disappointed.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by mumdb1
Wow, so a 20oz bottle doesn't fit in this console but does in the stock one? I'm guessing you mean the two main holders in the front that are removable in this console? I was just about to order one of these but that may make me think about it. My wife always has a 20oz bottle of water wherever we go and if she can't put it there, she may be disappointed.
Yes, I am referring to the two main holders in the front. They're big enought o accept a regular soda can, or a small bottle of water, but too small to accept a 20oz. It's my biggest dissappointment with this console.

It really illustrates the differences with the US market.. we like our big bottles!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, I'm guessing the console storage part isn't tall enough to hold a 20oz either? Or will the bottles sit with that piece out? I'm really just interested in the arm rest part, but my wife will still want her water!

Quick Reply: jdm center console