Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

ep3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dank24
ep3's suck ass. I had a 05 and I was so mad with it (really bad mpg, hardly any power for a k20, a 99 si could beat it, just sucked). I only had it for 6 months then traded it in for the fit.
take a look at other manufacturers 2.0 litre engines. Why, in mazda's case, it took them .3 litres of displacement more to exceed the hp output of the k20a3.

i will say this though, the gas mileage was kinda crappy, i just dont' think that k series engines are really all that fuel efficient.

but don't harp on the power: your fit makes less hp per litre than the ep3 did. granted the fit is probably more tossable, but the ep3 didn't 'suck ass'.

its interior ripped the 99 si a new one in every way imaginable.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
I loved my EP3. They're quick and they handle really well. They're not the fastest thing on the road or the best handling, but they are really great at being a daily driver without being peaky like RSX Type-S or current Si's. They make more torque down low than the RSX-S or new Si. They are super easy to modify. You can put on an intake/header/exhaust and K-Pro and you'll be pleanty fast. If you want to go even faster, you can upgrade to the 6-speed and the cylinder head from the RSX-S and you'll be making really good power (you'll lose some of the low end torque for a lot of high end power). Those parts are pretty much bolt on and go. You'll need either the Hondata K-Pro ECU or the stock RSX ECU.
You can upgrade the crankshaft from the Type-R or RSX-S and put on the Type-R or else forged high compression pistons for even more power. Cams in the stock cylinder head make a lot of power too.
I've seen some stroker kits too if you want even more power.
A lot of people go with a K24 engine out of the TSX for extra torque.

I highly recommend these cars. Especially 04-05 models. They had the 5-lug wheels and sideskirts from the factory. Also, some early models experienced a creeky steering rack (usually it came after lowering the car - but it doesn't happen to everyone), but this problem was fixed in 04-05.

Let me know if you have any questions about the EP3, I know a good amount about them. I spent a lot of time on EPHatch.com

Old 08-23-2008, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Just installed AEM V2 CAI last night and def impressed! Quicker RPM all around and even more responsive. I can't even imagine what else it could do with Kpro/headers/exhaust. The EP3 is an amazing DD car. IMO I think this car has best of both worlds when it comes to power and MPG. You typically can't have one or the other, but with the EP3 you actually can!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 AM
ep3's suck ass. I had a 05 and I was so mad with it (really bad mpg, hardly any power for a k20, a 99 si could beat it, just sucked). I only had it for 6 months then traded it in for the fit.
Why is every other post you make negative? The EP3 is better in every other way then a fit except for gas mileage and cargo space, congratulations on your upgrade.

With I/H/E coilovers and kpro it was possibly the most balanced car I've ever driven. I've never regretted selling a car more. Not even my evo. Buy it and drive the piss out of it. If you want more power get a A2 head, or even JRSC.

Originally Posted by hotkamote

Love the EP sad to hear its gone, looks identical to mine oem cf hood jdm projectors gold wheels, gorgeous.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
take a look at other manufacturers 2.0 litre engines. Why, in mazda's case, it took them .3 litres of displacement more to exceed the hp output of the k20a3.

i will say this though, the gas mileage was kinda crappy, i just dont' think that k series engines are really all that fuel efficient.

but don't harp on the power: your fit makes less hp per litre than the ep3 did. granted the fit is probably more tossable, but the ep3 didn't 'suck ass'.

its interior ripped the 99 si a new one in every way imaginable.
Yea, now I have a b20v w/ a b16 trans, so the fit is my DD besides the TL. I was just saying, the power sucked on it, but I loved the design.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Yea, now I have a b20v w/ a b16 trans, so the fit is my DD besides the TL. I was just saying, the power sucked on it, but I loved the design.
oh i agree man! it wasn't exactly 'sexy' per say, but it was a nice little euro flavored civic.

i always thought it should have said 'ex' or 'ex-s' on the back....slapping 'si' on there makes people expect to much.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:18 AM
UPDATE: well i finally freakin' found one. I bought a '03 ep3 TW from Texas on e-bay. There wasnt a single ep3 within 300 miles of me! But i think i got a good deal on it. 57,000 miles, '03, it was obviously an out-of-state sale, so i got taxed from Texas, and Indiana, plus i had them roll in the shipping charge from Texas to Indiana for 13,000. OMG, as stated in earlier posts....maybe not the fastest si, but my god its faster then the fit! And everyone of you that said the seats are AWESOME, i highly agree. I will post some pics soon!

p.s. i think it looks 'sexy'

Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
If you plan on carrying equipment, I would suggest the Fit, with rear air shocks and sway bars to be able to handle the turns in case you need to swerve out of the way with a full load.

The air shocks can be connected to a digital inline air hose, and display data so you don't bottom out... (will show a how to on this when I get my monroe air shocks and the digital inline PSI meter.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Honestly
my choice was to get an 03 SI

but i decided a fit was newer and i didnt want to worry about the cost of maintenence

but overall the SI hatches are unique in their way *(being the only SI's that were built hatch)*

motor wise its the same as a basemodel RSX just tuned alil more???

if you are lookign for room for your tools im sure the SI will do fine for you and the extra 50 HP compared to the 300lbs makes a difference on the fit

Old 08-24-2008, 02:46 AM
just read this hahaha

its unique in its own way like i said
hahaha thats why i wanted to pick up an SI hatch

Originally Posted by gn-it&rn-it
UPDATE: well i finally freakin' found one. I bought a '03 ep3 TW from Texas on e-bay. There wasnt a single ep3 within 300 miles of me! But i think i got a good deal on it. 57,000 miles, '03, it was obviously an out-of-state sale, so i got taxed from Texas, and Indiana, plus i had them roll in the shipping charge from Texas to Indiana for 13,000. OMG, as stated in earlier posts....maybe not the fastest si, but my god its faster then the fit! And everyone of you that said the seats are AWESOME, i highly agree. I will post some pics soon!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
UPDATE: well i finally freakin' found one. I bought a '03 ep3 TW from Texas on e-bay. ....p.s. i think it looks 'sexy'
Congrats! Easy on the throttle when letting off the clutch onto a turn. Quicker than the Fit for sure! The other best part of the EP3 is the short throw stick. It makes the Fit like shifting an 18 wheeler gears. :vtec:

Old 08-24-2008, 03:51 AM
i lawl'd cuz its true
i love how the shifter is right next to the wheel

Originally Posted by 1LegitFit
Congrats! Easy on the throttle when letting off the clutch onto a turn. Quicker than the Fit for sure! The other best part of the EP3 is the short throw stick. It makes the Fit like shifting an 18 wheeler gears. :vtec:

Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member

I highly! suggest buying an 05, because the 03-04 models have some issues. The exhaust cam lobes grind down for some odd reason, some blame it on the oil feeds and others the design of the engine head. And the EPS sometimes goes on the 03-04 models. I have yet to hear of it going on a 05.

edit: just saw you bought one. Pull the valve cover before you buy it and inspect the exhaust cam lobes.

Last edited by dank24; 08-24-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
If you plan on carrying equipment, I would suggest the Fit, with rear air shocks and sway bars to be able to handle the turns in case you need to swerve out of the way with a full load.

Im only carrying MAYBE 300lbs of tools. It doesnt even squat the car like it does the wifes fit.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I highly! suggest buying an 05, because the 03-04 models have some issues. The exhaust cam lobes grind down for some odd reason, some blame it on the oil feeds and others the design of the engine head. And the EPS sometimes goes on the 03-04 models. I have yet to hear of it going on a 05.

edit: just saw you bought one. Pull the valve cover before you buy it and inspect the exhaust cam lobes.
What kinda wear am i looking for, and if i find something needing attention, what should i do? If itll last a few years im fine with that, cuz the k20a3 will be coming out down the road, and swapping for either the k20a2, or the k24a2!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
What kinda wear am i looking for, and if i find something needing attention, what should i do? If itll last a few years im fine with that, cuz the k20a3 will be coming out down the road, and swapping for either the k20a2, or the k24a2!

The lobes will be grinding down, it might last like 10k miles afterwards. Maybe.

Look on ephatch.com for the article, many users have had this problem.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
i have an ep3 and love it. i read some post and not all but if you still have a question let me know i'll do my best to answer it?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
congrats gn! great color choice too!

you got an o3, which i guess means 15's huh? oh well, gets some aftermarkets!

yay on the possible engine swap.

told you the seats are awesome! better than the current si fo sho.