Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2009 Nissan GT-R with Straight-Pipes Turbo-Back

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
2009 Nissan GT-R with Straight-Pipes Turbo-Back

Oh.

My.

God.

Ray, I got my down-payment ready, so whenever you want to go to the dealership we can go in halfsies!!

3.5" straight pipes, turbo-back, no cats, no mufflers, all sex.

YouTube - VQMOTORING GTR TURBO BACK EXHUAST

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Retired Moderator
Wow, what a sound! Mmmmm.

Tyler

Old 08-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
that sounds awesome
i love the little whistle

but the wheels are SO SO ugly haha

Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 PM
meh not really feelin that exhaust, the ones from ARC and Amuse sound much better.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
This vid is hilarious! These guys were driving the balls off these cars.

The one dude kept bouncing off the rev limiter in the Superleggera. Both Lambos did awesome for them being E-Gear equipped.

I thought the shift knob was going to come off in the 911 Turbo. He was slamming the gears.

And the GT-R, which started dead last at the back of the pack, seemed like it wasn't even sweating.

YouTube - GTR-35 vs. Supercars at Motegi

Old 08-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Sounds like shit. The GT-R is a amazing car, but they made it sound like doo-doo

Old 08-04-2008, 12:24 AM
sounds like chewbacca

Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenoshainflames
sounds like chewbacca
LOL... except that Chewbacca is cool. This exhaust setup, on the other hand, sounds terrible. :(

-Mike

Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Holy shit that didnt take long at all.

That is how you ruin a supercar....pathetic

Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
haha i kind of enjoyed that video

Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Retired Moderator
I think it sounds like raw engine, not like a stock GTR which sounds like a G35....I mean i wouldnt buy that exhaust, but i enjoy that sound coming from that car...

Those wheels are OMG ugly though...

Tyler

Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
that exhaust would've been 10x better if the skyline was shootin flames out the turboback :(

just wait till the new NSX comes out :D

-Ricky

Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
They probably lost some power with that setup. Nissan designed the GTR's exhaust to perfection, creating no backpressure and optimum flow. I doubt that was attempted with this setup, just a project to make sound and even that doesn't sound very good.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jits14
They probably lost some power with that setup. Nissan designed the GTR's exhaust to perfection, creating no backpressure and optimum flow. I doubt that was attempted with this setup, just a project to make sound and even that doesn't sound very good.
You really should do some research before making blanket statements like that.

With an exhaust upgrade, some JDM companies have been getting anywhere from 20-100+whp.

Here is about a 22whp gain from just Mine's cat-back. Beyond The Dyno » Option Magazine - R35 GT-R Exhaust Test

Here is the first 600+whp GT-R in the world. What long list of mods were made to generate 130+ more whp???

1. Exhaust (Amuse)
2. ECU tune

Those are just two examples I came across in 30 seconds of searching.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry I just died inside because of the rims

Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
yeah i doubt nissan would ever make a titanium exhaust from the factory so it would only be right that an aftermarket company (Amuse) would make one to gain considerable power to the already well tuned Skyline GT-R

Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit
yeah i doubt nissan would ever make a titanium exhaust from the factory so it would only be right that an aftermarket company (Amuse) would make one to gain considerable power to the already well tuned Skyline GT-R

The use of titanium itself doesn't make power.

Titanium's only big benefits is it's high strength, low weight, and high anti-corrosion properties.

Being able to say you have a titanium exhaust merely says, "Hey, I've got lotsa money to burn and I saved 30lbs."

It's the larger diameter piping and smoother mandrel bends that are making the power. That and test pipes instead of cats.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:32 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
i know that lol, i was referring the Amuse exhaust compared to the stock GT-R exhaust because jits14 thought Nissan tuned the stock exhaust to perfection.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I am not saying that adding an exhaust won't make power, I am saying that I doubt those straight pipes added power. Amuse is making power with the exhaust because it added power adding parts else where and a larger exhuast is needed. Just slapping turbo back straight pipes on the GTR would probably hurt it more than help it. I doubt they put the years of engineering time to add hp on to what already is a finely tuned machine.

From several sources from Nissan

The GT-R is as perfect as the chief engineer could make it. So much so that any aftermarket enhancements are discouraged. The wheels are strength tested to withstand the car's possible high g-force turning ability, and special bead knurling prevents the tire from slipping on the rim.
"Modifying the exhaust system will not improve performance," Nissan said, "nor will engine-computer modifications. Add-ons such as spoilers and fascias will foul aerodynamics. And adding such equipment could void the warranty."

Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Seriously, arguing about this is pointless because neither one of us is going to be buying one anytime soon.

But, you're wrong. Simple as that.

Amuse made power with adding only the cat-back exhaust. Period. No other parts were added at all to make that 22whp. You can see it plain as day in the article.

And the 130 extra whp from the other article had no other power-making parts added except the exhaust, Period. No other parts at all. They did tune the ECU to add I think 2lbs more boost. But that's it.

So live in your world where the GT-R is perfection and all of these hard dyno numbers are stuff of fairy dust and illusion.

You know, you remind me of all these guys posting on other forums about all of the things the dealership is saying, like the US spec models don't have launch control. And somehow if you use launch control (that you somehow don't really have), they know about it and void your warranty. And then another tale is that if you use launch control 8 times, you must take it into the dealership immediately and pay $1000 to have all systems tested out, and if you don't and you use the LC for the 9th time, you void your warranty. And another story that if you take it to a track in the US you MUST take it the very next day to the dealer and get $1500 worth of tests run in order to keep your warranty. Then there was this other story that if you raced it at a track, whether road race or drag, you have 1 week to take it in and pay $2500 to have the tranny rebuilt or they would void all of your warranties. Oh, and the one where is you put any aftermarket parts on the car, all warranties are void (do a Google search for 'Magnuson/Moss Act'). And if you change the oil yourself or somwhere other than the dealer, you void your warranty. And on and on and on......

You get the picture.

With all of the nut-swingers and ill-informed sycophants running around, imaginary tales of mythical proportions pop up everywhere. Everyone is an expert and heard it from someone who heard it from someone who's in 'the know'.

Last edited by Sid 6.7; 08-04-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 Nissan GT-R with Straight-Pipes Turbo-Back