Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

05 rsx type s or 06 civic si ??opinions pls

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:47 AM
05 rsx type s or 06 civic si ??opinions pls

A friend of mine recently decided that he wants to get a car and asked me what i think of these two options...Hes looking for more go and less so much show...

rsx type s
k20z1 prod 210 bhp @ 7800rpms and 143 lbs of torque @ 7000rpms

civic si
k20z3 prod 197 bhp @ 7800rpms and 139 lbs of torque @ 6200rpms

Both have dohc i vtec
suspension tuned

But what engine what has more potential?
Can i get some pros and cons on these vehicles in compare and contrast that i can discuss with him to help him make the right decision....He said he wants to spend inside the area of around 15k (or more) for a car but pretty much wants the best bang for the buck !!!

Can i get some of your guys opinions please??? Thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 AM
bump!!! WoW did i strike a couple nerves here mentioning k- series engines.. !! lol....can n e one chime in to help my friend out ? thnks guys

Old 07-04-2008, 02:19 PM
I think the Civic Si sedans are so fly, I'd go with that. D: The RSX is nice but I don't think it's all that fly for being an Acura.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:48 PM
i was going to type out everything but i found another link that sums most of it up here;

k20z3 engine breakdown - K-Series Forums

hope that helps somewhat. if his budget is around 15k he would probably find an rsx-s a lot quicker than an si, but correct me if i'm wrong. and i didn't say anything about the quality either. i remember seeing a type-s on craigslist for 9k, but it had tons of miles on it.

personally, i'd go with the civic just because i like how it looks a little better. a red one thats lowered with a lip kit looks pretty badass. honda's still producing new ones so there will be a lot more aftermarket parts coming out.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 PM
dc5. woot.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 AM
thanks guys appreciate it ...ive been steering him more toward s the dc5 being that the civics dash instrument panel doesnt look that pleasing,,,,

Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by bizzle
i was going to type out everything but i found another link that sums most of it up here;

k20z3 engine breakdown - K-Series Forums

hope that helps somewhat. if his budget is around 15k he would probably find an rsx-s a lot quicker than an si, but correct me if i'm wrong. and i didn't say anything about the quality either. i remember seeing a type-s on craigslist for 9k, but it had tons of miles on it.

personally, i'd go with the civic just because i like how it looks a little better. a red one thats lowered with a lip kit looks pretty badass. honda's still producing new ones so there will be a lot more aftermarket parts coming out.
thanks for the link...damn after reading all of that im ready to go get one!!! lolol there are alot of pros and cons to each car here. Honestly i was looking into the new si before i got my fit but it was just outta my price range and that dash cluster kept steering me away but after some more pictures and seeing it up close again this morning its growing on me. I told my friend maybe he should just get the civic instead cause it seems hes gonna be sacrificing alot of interior quality if he chooses the rsx for a few more ponies... well see!! thanks again

Old 07-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
one acronym.... LSD... Civic Si

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
dont get me wrong i love the rsx type s. and it looks amazing just dropped.

but the civic si like jdmchris said has LSD. thats worth it.

and as long as it has the honda lip kit, then you will be set!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:10 PM
the dc5 has more tuning potential because kpro is available, and it has no DBW.

the fg2/fa5 handles much better due to LSD and better suspension geometry.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:49 PM
DAMN!! the hell with my buddy i might just go get a si.....and rekindle and old flame...lolol

Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Had an 05 type s, that car was tits. CAI gave it alot of power. I was saving to get the reflash but had to sell it to buy my house.

Name:  IMG_0242.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  87.3 KB

Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
dude........DC5

if he's looking for power the K20Z1 = stronger motor

FG2/FA5 has LSD and plus i've heard of tranny problems with the 06 Si's
Si Sedans didn't come out till 2007
Si Coupes are so ugly and K20Z3 = Weak

Definitely go with the DC5
He will be much happier.

-Ricky

Old 07-11-2008, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
The interior in the RSX is very nice. The SI dash is just hideous to me.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
DC5 FTW!!.....K-PRO!!

tonyd

Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
i have a GG 08 Sedan. I absoluetely love it. One of my very good friend has a DC5. personally i think they are the same car, but each has its advantages. it really depends on what your friend is looking for.
the sedan - much more practical, has an lsd, but at the same times mine has a lot of problems.
the coupe - pretty much the same as the sedan.
RSX- must admit it's a great looking car, the civic, well it grows on you, but no lsd and a tad bit more expensive.

btw the engines are basically the same, the tuning is a bit different and i think some parts have been changed out. as for the 210 vs 197 i believe that is a difference in the way that they measured it, the 210 was before they changed the hp measuring standards, and i believe that the 06 year was rated at 201.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
yup they re-rated to 201hp. To remark on the rsx having lower quality interior, i disagree. My friends Si coupe scratches like no tommorow! and i dont like the tacky suede pieces on the door, my sister's interior of her Type S on the other hand feels pretty good, like entry luxery car good. It has nice leather seats too! Plus the dash has a classic design that i prefer over the futuristic civic, i also dislike the Si steering wheel.

the only thing i see that the civic surpasses the RSX is LSD. Otherwise facelift RSX is FTW! Plus my sister said the RSX at least her 2005 model has ZERO recalls so dont worry about breakdowns. The only problem she has is that 3rd gear pops out sometimes when it's cold but that could just be because she has to change the tranny oil.

If your friend has yet not test-driven a Type S, you should tell him to at least do that before buying an Si so that he can see for himself

Old 07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
dc5. actually i'd like either :)

Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 AM
I have owned both. It was not a 05 Type-S but a 04 with a K20a2. They are both great cars. It boils down to personal opinion. The Si has navi as a option which is nice. It also has a ipod hook up. Tier dash is not for everyone but I like it. It looks advanced to me. The stereo in the Si is way better then the bose in the Acura. Now as for performance my 06 Si with just a CAI ran 14.7 where as for my Acura with CAI and catback I ran around the same. So as you can see performance it close. The civic is better in the corners bar none compared to the Acura. As for the 3rd gear issue and rev hang from the drive by wire are all fixed under warranty due to the recall. I had the 3rd gear issue on my RSX so it is not limited to the Si. As for looks you decide.

My Current 08 Mugen Si

My Old 04 Type-S A-Spec

Last edited by 6speedmaster; 07-31-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
yup they re-rated to 201hp. To remark on the rsx having lower quality interior, i disagree. My friends Si coupe scratches like no tommorow! and i dont like the tacky suede pieces on the door, my sister's interior of her Type S on the other hand feels pretty good, like entry luxery car good. It has nice leather seats too! Plus the dash has a classic design that i prefer over the futuristic civic, i also dislike the Si steering wheel.

the only thing i see that the civic surpasses the RSX is LSD. Otherwise facelift RSX is FTW! Plus my sister said the RSX at least her 2005 model has ZERO recalls so dont worry about breakdowns. The only problem she has is that 3rd gear pops out sometimes when it's cold but that could just be because she has to change the tranny oil.

If your friend has yet not test-driven a Type S, you should tell him to at least do that before buying an Si so that he can see for himself

hahha jason you know that the civic steering wheel is going to be the new fit steering wheel? at least it looks like it in the pictures. that steering wheel is FTW! the fit's is just a little too big for my taste.

yeah i have the civic, and its been to the shop 3 times and i've only had it for 5 months, but i still love it, my friend has a type S - and in my opinion stock for stock, the rsx is faster in a striaght line, but corners like a cow. The SI corners on rails, but straight line acceleration isn't as good, and the V-tec kick is really strong, but in the rsx it seems more linear.

but then again I have an SI so i'm a little biased...

Quick Reply: 05 rsx type s or 06 civic si ??opinions pls