Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2009 Fit vs. TDI Jetta/Sportwagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 AM
2009 Fit vs. TDI Jetta/Sportwagon

I've been considering purchasing a new, more fuel efficient car. Right now, I have looked at both cars and I'm stuck on which one to get. Oddly enough, this forum seems to have a honda bias, but I'll take the advice with a grain of salt until I can test drive both.

I really like the modularity of the Honda Fit in general. The ability to shove almost anything in the back appeals to me. However, the fuel efficiency of the fit could be better (I realize there is speculation that a hybrid fit will come out, but I'd rather avoid a hybrid) and the 2009 Fit is probably going to sell above MSRP in my area.

The TDI Jetta, on the other hand, is suppose to offer superior mileage (something like 30+ in the city and 40+ on the highway). The downsides, however, are that I've heard VW's QC is all over the place and that diesel is currently expensive (will ulsd production go up?). The price of a Jetta is also around 6000 - 7000 more than the honda fit.

Thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Coming from someone who owned a MKIV Jetta for two years, and a Fit for two days - go with the Fit. It's a no-brainer in my opinion. Everything you've heard about VW's build quality is absolutely true.

VW's are
1) an absolute joke when it comes to reliability.
2) horrible to work on.
3) not fun to drive at the limit.

I CANNOT emphasis these points enough. I'm still bitter about all the problems I had with that car, the first car I ever bought brand new in my life. It makes me grind my teeth. All the looks went out the door with the MKIV too.

So there's my .02
sigh.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:10 AM
Honestly VW has straightened up lately, haven't they? I almost got the Rabbit (or possibly the GTI) over the Fit, it was a great car. I dig the Jettas as well.

Personally I hate the new Fits and think you can do yourself a favor by waiting until like, August, when the Mr. Opportunity Honda commercials start coming up for getting rid of the old Fits. Not only will you save an assload of money, but after seeing how much crap you can buy for the Fit, with the money saved you can totally deck the hell out of your car and make one stellar whip.

As for the EPA estimates for the Fit... Get a manual if you want every bit of gas mileage. Although the sticker is pretty accurate for automatics, just going off of what I've seen in the eco section, people are getting like 40+ without even trying. D:

Whichever you go with, I still love you, whoever you are. ;]

Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 AM
i had a 03 golf GTI and it was a blast to drive and work on... unfort i didnt get to work on it cuz IT WAS ALWAYS IN THe SHOP... the cars are fun but not worth the upkeep imo and of course everything from the VW dealership is expansiiiive... even the short sleeve shirts are 32 bucks WTF!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:46 AM
I had 1999.5 Jetta mk4 TDI and the fuel mileage was amazing, it kicked the crap out of my Fit's mileage and it had low end torque like you wouldn't believe. It was a good car. I had it for 3 years and about 55k and it never gave me any trouble.

VW's are more reliable now than they were even then. I will say my Fit is as fun to drive stock as my VW was with $1500 worth of suspension upgrades on it though.

I would look at the VW. The new ones are way out of my price range, my trusty mk4 was GL spec with roll down windows and just the basics and it only set me back about $15.5k, you can get anywhere near a new TDI for than now though and there is no basic GL spec like there used to be really.

I will say that the TDI's are outstanding. Definitely a different animal entirely from the Honda VTEC. Like night and day. I love them both though. The high-revving frenetic nature of the little Honda motor is great fun, but I am also very fond of the torque of a diesel and I really do believe that the diesel engine is a superior design for pretty much anything other than a pure sports car. Diesels are much simpler and more durable. No ignition system, they can run super lean and regularly deliver or exceed MPG estimates with no hypermiling nonsense required. I once drove 785 miles on a 15 gallon tank and I was cruising at 75 on the freeway doing it (That's 52 mpg guys)

I love my Fit, but I'd give my left nut for a turbodiesel Fit. A 1.4 turbodiesel Fit would easily match any hybrid out there for fuel economy and do it without heavy bulky batteries and the added cost and complexity of a hybrid drivetrain.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
NMG
We have an MKV Jetta and it's been a great car with no significant problems to speak of. In fact, my Fit has been in the shop more in one year for warranty work and recalls than the Jetta has been in three years. Truth be told though, even the issues with the Fit were minor and nothing to cause any major concern.

IMHO they are two completely different cars. The VW is more "substantial". It's heavier, it feels bolted down to the road, the doors and trunk close with a solid "thud", it has way more power and the cabin is much more comfortable on long trips. It's also more expensive than the Fit. The Fit is definitely a smaller car (although it doesn't feel as small as it is), it's more nimble, it gets better mileage, it feels sportier and I find it easier to drive as it has an overall "light" feel to it. I actually really enjoy driving both cars.

I'd suggest driving both and deciding what works best for you. I'd have no problem recommending either.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Though it would be amazingly stupid to call this battle for either side without having test driven either car, I'm surprised a decent amount of you would consider the Jetta over the Fit(this is a Honda fit forum after all). I, personally, like the idea of the Fit, but if diesel prices go down, due to an increase in ULSD production, I may just pick up a Jetta sportwagen.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Wow. Again, I feel like I was one of the unlucky ones. Guess it's just hit or miss with VW's. I do know plenty who were in the same boat as me.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 AM
NMG
In fairness bokeh, we are comparing different cars. From everything I've read, the reliability of the MKV cars is much better than the earlier platforms.

wonginator1221, we actually chose the Jetta over the Accord. I think that's more of a proper comparison than cross shopping them with the Fit. The Jetta is definitely a sedan, whereas the Fit isn't. I think a test drive will really let you "feel" how they differ in the real world.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
When we ordered our Fit a couple weeks ago, it was between the Rabbit and the Fit.

I know the Rabbits are now built in Germany, but the Jettas are still Hecho en Mexico, and for that reason alone, I didn't even consider a Jetta. Everyone I know who had owned a Mexican-built VW has had nothing but problems, and expensive ones at that.

I really loved the Rabbit, but we chose the Fit because of better mpg and Honda's rock solid reputation.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by discochris
When we ordered our Fit a couple weeks ago, it was between the Rabbit and the Fit.

I know the Rabbits are now built in Germany, but the Jettas are still Hecho en Mexico, and for that reason alone, I didn't even consider a Jetta. Everyone I know who had owned a Mexican-built VW has had nothing but problems, and expensive ones at that.

I really loved the Rabbit, but we chose the Fit because of better mpg and Honda's rock solid reputation.
Looks like the last few comments appear to be on the money. I own a 2008 Rabbit and a 2008 FIT. Both cars are a blast to drive but here is what I see as the key differences between the 2.

Honda FIT:
Better fuel economy (not as big a difference as advertised but the FIT still has less than 1000 miles on it so it might improve).
Better flexibility in terms of storing cargo and passengers (LOVE this part about the FIT)
More spacious (but won't be more spacious than the Jetta Wagon).
Should be more reliable in the long run with a lower cost to own
Mods should be easier to do and cheaper.

VW Rabbit/Jetta (2.5 liter engine)
Great torque/HP at every gear- passing traffic from 60-80mph is a total blast!!
A TON of amenities in the 4 door version (Rabbit/Jetta). Here are a few:
heated seats, mirrors and washer nozzles
6 CD changer with MP3 capability and aux input, 10 speakers (great sound for stock system)
all 4 windows one touch up/down with pinch protection (windows roll back if your hand is caught in it)
tilt AND telescoping steering (this is nice)
the BEST feature for longer trips...... an ADJUSTABLE center armrest. It can ratchet up or down and slides forward and back.
Both visors have lighted vanity mirrors (my daughters love this!) and they also extend in case the sun is in an odd part of the sky!
the turn signals blink 3 times by just tapping them once
the newest Rabbits also have the full trip computer that shows MPG, miles to empty etc...
You can also buy a cable and download free software that let's you VAG this car's computer to do stuff like- roll all windows down remotely, turn off the seatbelt chime, turn off DRL, lock door once car reaches 8mph and unlock when key is removed, etc etc.....

I can go on an on..... but needless to say there is no comparison between the 2 when it comes to amenities- this is German Engineering vs. Japanese economy/reliability. You WILL pay significantly more for the German car but you do get a lot for it as well. You have to decide what's important to you! I love BOTH these cars for different reasons. Look at the latest consumer reports mag (June issue). On the page where it shows the top cars by "owner satisfaction", under the small car category you'll see that the FIT and the RABBIT are #1 and #2. I will have to agree!! You will win either way!!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 AM
My co-worker and his wife just bought a brand new Manual auto Fit this week, after owning their VW beetle for 8 years. During this last year, they had that VW in the shop 3-4 times, for all sorts of reasons. Every time they plucked down another load of cash for a repair, just a month later, their beetle is in the shop again, with another needed repair. It seemed like a car owner's nightmare! A couple of times, they had some terse disputes with the VW mechanics over charges. Finally, the last repair bill of $1600 for the A/C and the sensor was the straw that broke the camel's back. They decided it was time to shop for a new car, and they mysteriously drifted toward buying a Fit (with no influence from me!). They seemed very happy with it! German cars may be built well, but they are very expensive to repair and maintain. With Honda's reliability and reputation, the Fit is the one I'd own. But then, if you have loads of cash to blow on spotty reliability and repairs, maybe going VW is the way for you...

Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by bluemeanie
My co-worker and his wife just bought a brand new Manual auto Fit this week, after owning their VW beetle for 8 years. During this last year, they had that VW in the shop 3-4 times, for all sorts of reasons. Every time they plucked down another load of cash for a repair, just a month later, their beetle is in the shop again, with another needed repair. It seemed like a car owner's nightmare! A couple of times, they had some terse disputes with the VW mechanics over charges. Finally, the last repair bill of $1600 for the A/C and the sensor was the straw that broke the camel's back. They decided it was time to shop for a new car, and they mysteriously drifted toward buying a Fit (with no influence from me!). They seemed very happy with it! German cars may be built well, but they are very expensive to repair and maintain. With Honda's reliability and reputation, the Fit is the one I'd own. But then, if you have loads of cash to blow on spotty reliability and repairs, maybe going VW is the way for you...
"brand new Manual, AUTO?" which one is it manual or auto? Looks like your friends had some rough experiences with their 8 year old Beetle and VW mechanics. I'll bet we can find similar stories with Honda Toyota and others as well. All dealerships want to make money (in many cases sacrificing customer service) and that particular VW dealer was probably in that category. However there are just as many VW dealers that are great to work with. The issue about reliability is a tricky one. The new Jetta 2.5 litre engine and the clean diesel engine have been deployed in the European market for 4 years and have shown outstanding reliability. The 8 yr old Beetle uses the MKiV engine (1.8litre, I believe). This has been known to have atrocious reliability issues. So in all fairness if they are looking at the TDI Jetta they should not have the same experience as your friends- however you are correct...they WILL pay a LOT more for a VW!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
I had a 2000 Jetta tdi. It's torque and fuel economy were fantastic and the solid feel was something you have to experience to believe. I'd still own the car if it weren't for the problems.

It was completely trouble free and perfect for the first 60,000 miles and then it fell apart. First one by one all 4 window tracks broke and the windows fell into the door. Trust me...that gets your attention. Then the timing belt broke way before the required replacement. The final straw was when the injector pump broke...NOT a cheap repair.

The difference between the Fit and Jetta to me is that the Fit will never leave you stranded, but will never be as solid or comfortable.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
You are comparing apples to oranges... The Fit is an inexpensive car in the 'B-Car' class. The Jetta Sportswagen is a larger 'C-Car', and at a luxury level, too.

However, while the tdi gets good mileage, it really isn't much better than the Fit. Plus, as you mentioned, diesel is pricey. If you check Fuel Economy, you will find that the annual fuel cost for a 2009 Jetta tdi Sportswagen is estimated at $2068/year, while the Fit will cost $1977/year for the same mileage. (Based on 45% highway driving, 55% city driving, 15000 miles/year and Reg.: $4.08 per gallon; Diesel: $4.69 per gallon)

Honestly, there is a lot of diesel used in the US today; I don't see the price changing much in relationship to gas.

Conclusion: The tdi will not save you money on fuel. The price of the Jetta tdi Sportswagen is a lot more than the Fit.

I don't know which of the two cars is better for you. However, they are very different in many ways, so you might give some more thought to what kind of car you are really looking for, and what you are willing to pay.

-- Bill

Last edited by wm_brant; 07-01-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I Was Looking for a VW Forum & I Came Across Exactly...

Originally Posted by wonginator1221
I've been considering purchasing a new, more fuel efficient car. Right now, I have looked at both cars and I'm stuck on which one to get. Oddly enough, this forum seems to have a honda bias, but I'll take the advice with a grain of salt until I can test drive both.

I really like the modularity of the Honda Fit in general. The ability to shove almost anything in the back appeals to me. However, the fuel efficiency of the fit could be better (I realize there is speculation that a hybrid fit will come out, but I'd rather avoid a hybrid) and the 2009 Fit is probably going to sell above MSRP in my area.

The TDI Jetta, on the other hand, is suppose to offer superior mileage (something like 30+ in the city and 40+ on the highway). The downsides, however, are that I've heard VW's QC is all over the place and that diesel is currently expensive (will ulsd production go up?). The price of a Jetta is also around 6000 - 7000 more than the honda fit.

Thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be much appreciated.
I have a 2009 Fit Sport and I am thinking how to dump it. I should not word it like that but it is not the car for a tall, older (40 year old) who likes more "pick-up.". There is zero room to stretch my legs out and both of my knees are replaced. I have never had a problem with this (I am not that tall) so when I first tried to stretch due to a cramp, I could not beleive how my foot just hit the "end of the leg room area." No room to stretch out--zero. Not good; especially during trips.

When I saw the new Jetta sportWagon that gets 40 mpg (hwy.)
so althought there is a 4 month waiting list for the sportwagon, I think I have found the replacement for the Fit. Now I have to figure out how to minimze the loss of more money.

I am not too excited about selling it priavtely but I will see what the VW Dealer will give me for it.

Althought the Fit Sport looks "Sporty" my Fit has average pick-up. I thought using the padles would help with the pick-up but it does not.

I know I am opening myself up to be "pounded: for this post, but it seemed to give the initiator of this thread someting else to ponder.

Good luck and if anybody has any info. on the Jetta TDI, I would like to hear it.

Peace

Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey guys,

I'm happy to report that I've had a Jetta TDI (sedan) since October of last year. So far, I've only had one problem, but it was quickly rectified by our local VW service department.

The last road trip I was on (NY to PA), the car achieved 43 mpg, which is excellent considering the engine isn't fully broken in yet, and we were stuck in about an hour of stop and go traffic on the George Washington Bridge. However, you will only achieve this milage if your engine is warmed up. If you often take short trips and don't give enough time for the engine to warm up, you will only get about 25 mpg.

In the winter, milage goes down (additives are added to the ULSD to limit the gelling of the diesel). If you live in colder climates, the TDI may not be for you. Though I've started it in the single digits without any problems, there have been reports that cars have died on the highway because fuel gelled in their tanks. Third party additives can be used, but none are "approved" or endorsed by VW.

Speaking of fuel, ULSD in my area is currently about 50% more than RUG. Right now, the fit is cheaper to run in terms of cost per mile. However, fuel prices are expected to increase and will likely shrink the price difference for the cost of a gallon of fuel.

It's been a great car. It rides nicely, it's comfortable, and it achieves pretty good milage. The new CR engine has plenty of torque on a solid platform (A5 chassis). Though I may be incorrect, to my understanding, the newer A5/MKV platform has had fewer problems then the older MKIV platform). I do wish VW installed a better sound system into the TDI.

If you have any questions, send me PM, ask here, or check out Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community

Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I've read most of the replies here and I can say take what you've heard with a grain of salt... for example, the guy who one by one had the windows fall into the door.... he is exaggerating. I'm a VW Technician for a living and although I the front windows drop in all the time (they extended the warranty to cover it for 7 year unlimited mileage) I have never seen or heard of the rear windows on a Jetta dropping in ever.... I don't believe that one by one they all fell in and I know that the window tracks didn't brake causing them to drop.

The MK5's are better in terms of reliability then the MK4's.

The new Common Rail TDI engine is nice but I would not under any circumstances add any fuel additives, and read the owners manual, you need to use standard diesel or biodiesel blends up to 5% (B5) if you use anything else your looking at a bill of about $8,000 that warranty will not cover. This engine is picky!!! It is the quietest, smoothest, non smelly diesel I've even seen. But I can promise you its not "much simpler" like someone above said, maybe the old ALH diesels but not these. Hell you can do a compression test using a VW scan tool, that's not a simple engine.

The Jetta is the nicer car no question about it. I work for them so I would get a discount and I still went with the fit.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Darkstars
I've read most of the replies here and I can say take what you've heard with a grain of salt... for example, the guy who one by one had the windows fall into the door.... he is exaggerating. I'm a VW Technician for a living and although I the front windows drop in all the time (they extended the warranty to cover it for 7 year unlimited mileage) I have never seen or heard of the rear windows on a Jetta dropping in ever.... I don't believe that one by one they all fell in and I know that the window tracks didn't brake causing them to drop.

The MK5's are better in terms of reliability then the MK4's.

The new Common Rail TDI engine is nice but I would not under any circumstances add any fuel additives, and read the owners manual, you need to use standard diesel or biodiesel blends up to 5% (B5) if you use anything else your looking at a bill of about $8,000 that warranty will not cover. This engine is picky!!! It is the quietest, smoothest, non smelly diesel I've even seen. But I can promise you its not "much simpler" like someone above said, maybe the old ALH diesels but not these. Hell you can do a compression test using a VW scan tool, that's not a simple engine.

The Jetta is the nicer car no question about it. I work for them so I would get a discount and I still went with the fit.
You're right...I was exaggerating. The front passenger window broke first and was repaired, then the drivers window broke, then the passenger one again. By that time, they had changed what the dealer called the "gears" to a different material and they didn't break again. I stand by what I said about the timing belt and injector pump. I NEVER ran any additives, but still had the injector pump fail at around 80,000 miles.

I loved the car, but they are more expensive to maintain and operate than a Honda. I think that must be considered in the purchase.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:08 PM
That sounds more believable. The problem is that there is no hole in the windows with the regulator going through it. It was just clamps that pinches the glass. First they were plastic and would break and the window would drop in. So they came out with a kit to replace the clips with metal ones which didn't brake but when the window would freeze in the winter the glass would pull out of the clamps. So the fix now is to glue them into the clamps and it hasn't been a problem since. Its free of charge on anything under 7 years old.

You had the old ALH engine, I don't doubt the failures on it the engine.

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit vs. TDI Jetta/Sportwagon