Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2006 Honda Civic or 2007 Honda Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
2006 Honda Civic or 2007 Honda Fit

Hey guys, a noob here on the board here and from the pictures everyones fits looks all damn sexy.:)

Anyways I drive a MS3 but looking to trading in for more of a comfortable/gas friendly car. Been looking at the fit and the 2006 civics. I just needed some inputs on the comparison on both cars. Both Hondas so being reliable isnt much of a problem, and I think the gas mileage is a bit similar. Anyways what you guys think of both cars? any info would be great. thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i had a 06civic ex (AT). was pretty boring car. upgraded to my 08FitSport 5MT. :)

Old 06-03-2008, 02:44 PM
really? i was looking at the interior, the civics didnt look to bad.

i just think the fit is unique looking

Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
The split dash of the civic is one of the big "deal breakers" 4 me!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
The civic is just so played out. EVERYONE has it. The fit is somewhat unique. You don't really see many and if you were to get one you would have a pretty unique car. Just my $.02

Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by i heart fits
really? i was looking at the interior, the civics didnt look to bad.

i just think the fit is unique looking
the one thing i really liked about the civic's interior was the seats and
the telescoping steering wheel. it was a comfy car to sit in. i also
miss the ambient temp gauge missing on our Fit's.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
i have an 08 si sedan, and i love it, but it is by no means a perfect car, it actually has a lot of problems, how is the fit compared to the civic in that area.

the civic is very sqeeky and rattly and some of the interior bits are already scratched, and its not hte best looking car in the lot.

IMO - combine the best of both worlds
K20- fit with civic interior

Old 06-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Civic has more oomph than the fit but the fit has a very flexible interior(not literally, dont bend the panels or twist the seats! :D) compared to the civic, also theres not alot of these first generation fits here in the states, it will be revamped for 09, so if you get 07-08 fit youll have a rare vehicle and chances are youll be the only fit on the street when you cruise around town unlike the civic which is everywhere;) . just my $.02.

Last edited by swaknets; 06-03-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I have both...

I have a '06 Civic EX AT 4-dr with navigation (and 60kmiles) and a 2008 Fit Sport AT with 200 miles :).

I very much enjoy driving the Fit in city traffic (with Washington DC having the second-worse traffic in the nation, it's very easy to manuver the vehicle) and so far seems comfortable enough on the interstates. The stereo system in the Fit is much better than the stock Civic's (as tested and approved by my discerning wife).
Pros:
-Easy and fun to drive (especially with the steering paddle shifters when you want that extra fun factor)
-Sporty and unique design
-Excellent visability and interior cargo room

Cons:
-Gas mileage not as good as the Civic
-Non-telescoping steering wheel (not a deal-breaker, but make sure you drive the Fit first to see if you 'fit'.
-Interior is a little cheaper than the Civic, but again, not a deal breaker when considering the fun-factor (whee!)

The Civic is a wonderful highway cruiser is very comfortable as a small/medium family car. Even in the city, it's pretty easy to manuver into a parking space and fuel economy is better than the Fits'. The integrated Navi is icing on the cake as well. :)

Pros:
-Excellent ergonomics
-Excellent gas mileage
-Nicer interior features

Cons:
-Steering wheels shows signs of deterioration (after 60k long miles)
-Not as much fun-factor as the Fit
-To make it as sporty (exterior or mechanically) as the Fit, you will need to spend big bucks (i.e. Civic Si or the HFP body kits).

V/r,
-Mateo

Old 06-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by horwatt76
I have a '06 Civic EX AT 4-dr with navigation (and 60kmiles) and a 2008 Fit Sport AT with 200 miles :).

I very much enjoy driving the Fit in city traffic (with Washington DC having the second-worse traffic in the nation, it's very easy to manuver the vehicle) and so far seems comfortable enough on the interstates. The stereo system in the Fit is much better than the stock Civic's (as tested and approved by my discerning wife).
Pros:
-Easy and fun to drive (especially with the steering paddle shifters when you want that extra fun factor)
-Sporty and unique design
-Excellent visability and interior cargo room

Cons:
-Gas mileage not as good as the Civic
-Non-telescoping steering wheel (not a deal-breaker, but make sure you drive the Fit first to see if you 'fit'.
-Interior is a little cheaper than the Civic, but again, not a deal breaker when considering the fun-factor (whee!)

The Civic is a wonderful highway cruiser is very comfortable as a small/medium family car. Even in the city, it's pretty easy to manuver into a parking space and fuel economy is better than the Fits'. The integrated Navi is icing on the cake as well. :)

Pros:
-Excellent ergonomics
-Excellent gas mileage
-Nicer interior features

Cons:
-Steering wheels shows signs of deterioration (after 60k long miles)
-Not as much fun-factor as the Fit
-To make it as sporty (exterior or mechanically) as the Fit, you will need to spend big bucks (i.e. Civic Si or the HFP body kits).

V/r,
-Mateo
which do you prefer? fit or the civic?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I had an 06 Civic was pretty happy with it until i got t-boned and hit from the front. Car never drove the same way. As far as manageability of cost Fit is sooooo much cheaper.... I was paying 2900 a year for my civic to insurance, the fit is only 1600 per year. I gave up some gas mileage but it not a big deal. Fit funner to drive.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I think the civic is better on gas on the interstate from what I can remember. I have an 07 si coupe and the wife has an 07 si sedan and we love them. I'm just debating on getting the fit and doing the k20 swap so that I will be unique.
For all those that say the civic is everywhere, I agree, however in Japan the fit is everywhere and with gas prices the way they are, I would say that the fit will be catching up in the numbers on the street. I work at honda right now and we can't keep a fit for a week. They're selling before they get here.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I've owned two '06 civics and one '08 Fit. Personally, I like the Fit.

Another thing to consider, if it matters to you, is that the Civic is made in Canada and the Fit is made in Japan.

My vote, having owned BOTH cars, is for the FIT!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Hmm...

I personally like them both! But, I think the Fit (with the optional Honda [or whomever] Navi. system) would be the best compromise. I'm interested to see what the 2009 Fit's price point will be with the Navi.

Maybe you should wait to buy a 2008 Fit or 2006 Civic and check out the 2009 Fit? Seems like the best of both worlds.

Regards,

-Mateo

Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 AM
The Honda Fit Manual Transmission has pretty much the same gas mileage as the '06+ Civics. If Civics(Automatic or Manual) are compared to an Automatic Fit, the Civic wins in the mpg department.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i had a 06civic ex (AT). was pretty boring car. upgraded to my 08FitSport 5MT. :)
OK, but that's you. Most people would not qualify that as an upgrade. It's just not rational. "Boring", or "pleasant?" Plenty of people derive pleasure from a confident, mature, and assured ride. I'm convinced that sedans provide the ultimate satisfaction and desirability for shrewd consumers. Sporty driving is fine for some, but that is getting to be quite the antisocial way to spend one's time. Go to an amusement park to get your thrills.

The Fit has the honour of being one of the cheapest vehicles to own for 5 years, according to Consumer Reports. It was a wise decision of Honda to finally bring this to North America to fill in a price range that was missing as the Civic continued to go upmarket. You get what you pay for.

I was originally looking at the Fit as my replacement car, and it was generally fine and dynamic. But I found some things about the Fit that I knew would bother me: Unlocked fuel cover; "Floaty" floor covering; Missing foot rest; Cheap seats; Hollow roof liner; And, cheaper plastic interior, quite noticeable in the cargo area. If that's all I could afford to spend, then I would have grown to accept those things. But, for a little more money, a Civic provides a far better interior, plus more base features in its spectrum so you probably won't have to choose the highest trim to get what you want, and it will be better at cruising. Then I did one better: Government incentives got me into a Civic Hybrid (the ultimate fuel-efficient yet luxurious Civic) for what I would have paid for a Civic Sedan LX with AT.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by swaknets
Civic has more oomph than the fit but the fit has a very flexible interior(not literally, dont bend the panels or twist the seats! :D) compared to the civic, also theres not alot of these first generation fits here in the states, it will be revamped for 09, so if you get 07-08 fit youll have a rare vehicle and chances are youll be the only fit on the street when you cruise around town unlike the civic which is everywhere;) . just my $.02.
Agreed. This is one of the many reasons I love my 2007 Fit. I also loved my old 1995 Saab 900 turbo 2 door for the same reason; there were not many of them. I love relatively unique cars and I love vintage guitars for the same reason. It helps that the Fit handles a 1000 times better than the Saab and gets better gas mileage which almost makes up for it's lack of power. Maybe I'll turbo it if I get richer...

Old 06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by spinnersmart

I was originally looking at the Fit as my replacement car, and it was generally fine and dynamic. But I found some things about the Fit that I knew would bother me: Unlocked fuel cover; "Floaty" floor covering; Missing foot rest; Cheap seats; Hollow roof liner; And, cheaper plastic interior, quite noticeable in the cargo area. If that's all I could afford to spend, then I would have grown to accept those things. But, for a little more money, a Civic provides a far better interior, plus more base features in its spectrum so you probably won't have to choose the highest trim to get what you want, and it will be better at cruising. Then I did one better: Government incentives got me into a Civic Hybrid (the ultimate fuel-efficient yet luxurious Civic) for what I would have paid for a Civic Sedan LX with AT.
If they had offered a Civic Hybrid hatchback or small wagon at a reasonable price I would be interested. Sedans just don't do it for me though, especially small ones. They look nice enough but

I would agree with the better interior on the Civic if your talking about the 7th generation Civic. The hybrid especially had a nice interior. The 8th gen Civic's two tiered dashboard display looks like something out of a bad sci-fi movie to me though. I hate digital speedos and that dashboard design is a deal breaker for me all by itself. I don't know what they were thinking. :rotfl: