Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Chevy Cobalt XFE

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Chevy Cobalt XFE

I just found out over the internet that Chevy came out with an XFE model for MT 2.2L Cobalts in its LS and 1LT trims (not available on 2LT trim). The gas mileage for this specific setup comes to 25 City/36 Highway compared to the normal 24/33 MT and 22/31 AT. Of course, they had to make several changes, such as engine mapping and tires, to achieve those numbers, but I think this is a good thing they tried to get more miles out of the Ecotec.

I'm surprised Chevy has not made a big deal out of it. This is the perfect opportunity to sell more MT 2.2L Cobalts. I only saw an ad online and the XFE caught my eye.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by henryd1981
I just found out over the internet that Chevy came out with an XFE model for MT 2.2L Cobalts in its LS and 1LT trims (not available on 2LT trim). The gas mileage for this specific setup comes to 25 City/36 Highway compared to the normal 24/33 MT and 22/31 AT. Of course, they had to make several changes, such as engine mapping and tires, to achieve those numbers, but I think this is a good thing they tried to get more miles out of the Ecotec.

I'm surprised Chevy has not made a big deal out of it. This is the perfect opportunity to sell more MT 2.2L Cobalts. I only saw an ad online and the XFE caught my eye.
thats pretty impressive actually. but then again, the big three would rather announce either how cheap their entry level cars are, or how much hp their sports models make.

if they changed the mapping of the engine, the 2.2 may not be as punchy as it was, thus negating the concept of a fairly brisk and efficient 2.2. but kudos to them.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Probably still has all the great reliability issues that most newer Chevy's have.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by space cowboy
Probably still has all the great reliability issues that most newer Chevy's have.
i know engine reliability should be good. i had 2 Saturns with the Ecotec and they worked fine.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
I had a cobalt ss for a while and it was a pos. It would shut it self down under normal driving conditions, i went to the dealer a few times to have them tell me there is nothing they can do about it. I also talked to a service writer at another dealer told me he gets those problems alot, where the just can do a thing. I talked to the guy for a bit told him im more of a Honda guy and his suggestion was to get rid of the GM and get a reliable Honda(his exact words). Some people have good luck with these cars, but no everyone does i would never suggest anyone buy a GM product. To add to that my friends dad does alot of side jobs in his garage in one year he replaced 20 some odd 2.2 ecotecs because they have very weak crank bearings.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
i worked for a chevy dealership as a mechanic for about a year. it was probably the longest year of my life. GM makes the poorest quality machine. every single car that they had on the market new and old all had some sort of recall on it. They are the biggest POS's on the road. Stick with japanese technology and you can never go wrong.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
A guy I work with just had some major issues with his car an 06 cobalt with 52k miles on it.. he only drives it to work and back, which is about 60miles one way. I am still in my 02 RSX type S with 72k on it, no problems!!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
boooo GM

HONDA 4 LIFE :vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec:

Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Before Saturns started using GM motors they were great cars. Once they started using the Ecotecs they went and continue to go downhill. I've got an '02 Saturn SC2 with the original Saturn S-Series motor that's a 1.9 liter, and it runs incredibly well. It's got 109k miles on it and barely uses any oil. Gets 30 MPG in about 60 city/40 highway driving and is fairly spirited. Even with those kind of miles I'm not afraid to drive it anywhere. I just drove 900 miles round trip for work a week ago. Got reimbursed $500+ and spent around $100 on gas. Had no worries about making it there and back. Take an Ion with a 2.2 liter Ecocrap in it, and you're lucky to make it home.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by RobertJ
Before Saturns started using GM motors they were great cars. Once they started using the Ecotecs they went and continue to go downhill. I've got an '02 Saturn SC2 with the original Saturn S-Series motor that's a 1.9 liter, and it runs incredibly well. It's got 109k miles on it and barely uses any oil. Gets 30 MPG in about 60 city/40 highway driving and is fairly spirited. Even with those kind of miles I'm not afraid to drive it anywhere. I just drove 900 miles round trip for work a week ago. Got reimbursed $500+ and spent around $100 on gas. Had no worries about making it there and back. Take an Ion with a 2.2 liter Ecocrap in it, and you're lucky to make it home.
I used to have an 02 Saturn SC1 and it ran great, as well! There was one highway trip where I got 38 MPG, and mine was an automatic. I should never have gotten rid of that car, which was followed by 2 IONs, the first of which I was talked into when I went to the dealer to get a quote on a bracket for the front license plate.

No engine problems with the IONs. However, the 04 ION had that crappy CVT and the 06 was never the same after my little accident. Wanted a car with ABS and the side airbags, so I went to Honda after that.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by henryd1981
I used to have an 02 Saturn SC1 and it ran great, as well! There was one highway trip where I got 38 MPG, and mine was an automatic. I should never have gotten rid of that car, which was followed by 2 IONs, the first of which I was talked into when I went to the dealer to get a quote on a bracket for the front license plate.

No engine problems with the IONs. However, the 04 ION had that crappy CVT and the 06 was never the same after my little accident. Wanted a car with ABS and the side airbags, so I went to Honda after that.
I'm glad you didn't have any trouble with that CVT as they're known trouble makers. Saturn even extended the Warranty on them to 5yr/75k miles due to the issues. At least they were willing to stand behind them.

I love my SC2. It's really a third vehicle for us, but I drive it back and forth to work when I can't ride my motorcycle. Our Jeep is strictly for pulling the boat.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM
i would NEVER buy a chevy, ford, gm..even if they paid me to drive one or gave it to me...i love my Honda's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i go to the dealership at least once a week to sit in the cars that are in the showroom...and i am loving my new Fit sport..i get so many compliments on it

Old 05-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by slim33084
i worked for a chevy dealership as a mechanic for about a year. it was probably the longest year of my life. GM makes the poorest quality machine. every single car that they had on the market new and old all had some sort of recall on it. They are the biggest POS's on the road. Stick with japanese technology and you can never go wrong.
Uhhh...yes you can... *MITSUBISHI*

Old 05-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the cobalt's gearbox is one of the sloppiest ive felt.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:11 PM
I have a soft spot for some GM cars, and even one or two other domestic products. They might need more fixing, but can still be fun to drive.

Not knocking Hondas or anything. I love my Fit, esp after I had my Eibach springs installed! Air intake is next! Makes me glad I never modded my old cars.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
ya the gear box sucks but the engines are stout. i work for a gm dealership :( ...a job is a job... anyways my boss races and he has an ecotec and its pretty fast.
Tom Shambaugh, ECOtec-powered Modified Cavalier on Flickr - Photo Sharing!