Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Porsche "Cayman S" VS BMW "135i"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Porsche "Cayman S" VS BMW "135i"

Here is an interesting Comparo:

Porsche Cayman S
Although similar in horse power to the BMW the Cayman is a bit shy on Torque, the price is also quite a bit of a premium. Main advantage over the BMW is the mid engine and all those fancy Porsche suspension and brakes to back it up.

BMW 135i

More power, smaller package. This car rockets off the line ahead of the Porsche and has a great braking and suspension package. Although the styling is not as eye catching as the Cayman the BMW seems to make up for it in oodles of power... and a nice discount in price.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Id take the Cayman, it "looks" more fun. BMW's...meh...none except the old M1's do it for me. But then I know there are BMW fans out there that like their looks. I like my fast cars to be "pointy". The BMW's are just too "square" in that sense.

Rumors of a new M1 have been around for years but nothing yet. Here's a pic of an older M1.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
If I had to choose I would have to say the BMW, I love the stub nose look on a car. But that Cayman is one sexy looking car for sure!

It would be a tougher decision if they were closer in price.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
This is really superficial but I'd take the Porsche just because the name has more mystique and it's a much nicer looking car. Chicks would love it so much more than the "entry level BMW". It's not like I'd ever reach the handling limits of either car unless I had a death wish anyways.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
id take the porsche just because it has more character and the
reliability these days are apparently very high.

bmw's these days are turning more and more into appliances... like
a sonata/accord/camry type of deal.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:30 AM
:confused: I think both cars are different....not the best comparo!

tonyd

Old 04-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
:confused: I think both cars are different....not the best comparo!
tonyd
How so?

They are both 2 door coupes with about 300hp, aggressive suspension and come from high end manufacturers.

Getting even more technical these cars have a very similar size and even though the BMW has about 50ft/lbs more torque the Porsche comes in about 470lbs lighter.

The Porsche is 172" long and 71" wide with a curb weight of 2954lbs.

The BMW is 174" long and 69" inches wide with a curb weight of 3420lbs.

Lets be honest, once you bump up to the 3 series the BMW enters a larger class of vehicle.

The biggest difference here that I see is perception, I think these cars are pretty evenly matched. The biggest thing here is the new 1 series is NOT a cheap junk entry car IMO. BMW finally got the message and built something for enthusiasts, a no nonsense sports coupe that isn't a giant boat of a sedan. Unlike Porsche who targets the wealthy crowd... BMW decided to price it where they would pick up more customers.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-12-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
135i for me

Hands down 135i. I prefer a practical sports car that can be taken from the street to autox track. I still like to be able give 4 people a ride in a coupe'. Nothing against the Cayman. Porsche have their own entity when it comes down to all around sportscar charisma.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
A mid/rear 2 seater vs a front/rear 4 seater... not really the right two cars to be comparing from a consumer point of view.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, when I picked up a z4, I decided not to wait for the 135i -- even though it's newer, more power. The 135i vehicles are going to multiply like rabbits out here, that's my prediction. But maybe I'm be wrong. I don't really know why Porsche doesn't catch my eye. Many on the bmw boards aren't entirely happy with recent bmw styling, but I liked it.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
A mid/rear 2 seater vs a front/rear 4 seater... not really the right two cars to be comparing from a consumer point of view.
Details :rolleyes:

Really the rear seats in the BMW are pretty useless to get in and out of, I will give you the mid engine argument.

But still, two cars of roughly the same power, both 2dr and both RWD. When you put them side by side they are roughly the same size. More importantly, as a consumer looking into a sports car for next year both of these rate pretty high on my list. I think the comparo is legit.

I am not the only person either, check out these links:
YouTube - Fifth Gear: 135i vs. Cayman Pt. 1
YouTube - Fifth Gear: 135i vs. Cayman Pt 2.

I have to ask, if you don't think these cars square off evenly... what then is the direct competition to the BMW in your opinion?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-13-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:14 AM
I'd stick with JDM........

German cars are fun to drive....

but they will give you a lot of headache for maintenance.........

Old 04-13-2008, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
check over on the bimmerforums on the particular model before scooping one up. of course, no data for 135i yet. don't let vw/audi sour the whole bunch unduly...

Last edited by xorbe; 04-13-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
I'd take a Cayman S over a 135i any day of the week.
I'd take a 135i over a regular Cayman though.

The 'S' is much more car than the normal one.

Last edited by NJ Drive; 04-13-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Details :rolleyes:

Really the rear seats in the BMW are pretty useless to get in and out of, I will give you the mid engine argument.

But still, two cars of roughly the same power, both 2dr and both RWD. When you put them side by side they are roughly the same size. More importantly, as a consumer looking into a sports car for next year both of these rate pretty high on my list. I think the comparo is legit.

I am not the only person either, check out these links:
YouTube - Fifth Gear: 135i vs. Cayman Pt. 1
YouTube - Fifth Gear: 135i vs. Cayman Pt 2.

I have to ask, if you don't think these cars square off evenly... what then is the direct competition to the BMW in your opinion?
If you're looking to buy the Cayman then it will more than likely be a 2nd or 3rd car, it is impractical to buy it as a main car. If you have a family and you're looking for a nice small fast car with 4 seats then you are pretty much limited to the BMW. Not all cars have a direct competition: companies introduce new cars and ideas and if they're successull other companies introduce their own. Example: What would currently be the competition to the Smart Fortwo in the U.S?

But neither car really has a direct competition from the consumer point of view. If you're looking for a small m/r coupé, you've got the Cayman. If you're looking for a small, fast 4-seater coupé, you've got the 135i. Of course if you go by the numbers, then yea they perform very similiar but they're two very different cars that I don't see why anyone would be considering at the same time.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
If you're looking to buy the Cayman then it will more than likely be a 2nd or 3rd car, it is impractical to buy it as a main car. If you have a family and you're looking for a nice small fast car with 4 seats then you are pretty much limited to the BMW. Not all cars have a direct competition: companies introduce new cars and ideas and if they're successull other companies introduce their own. Example: What would currently be the competition to the Smart Fortwo in the U.S?

But neither car really has a direct competition from the consumer point of view. If you're looking for a small m/r coupé, you've got the Cayman. If you're looking for a small, fast 4-seater coupé, you've got the 135i. Of course if you go by the numbers, then yea they perform very similiar but they're two very different cars that I don't see why anyone would be considering at the same time.
Alright I see where you are coming from on this now, I agree the BMW is def a more practical car given that if you really need to you can stick two of your least favorite friends in the backseat. If you are picking out your main vehical this is a hands down win for the 135i. However if you are picking it up as your main car, why not the 335i instead? It is Almost the same price and offers more space.

I was thinking more along the lines of a consumer who is looking for a 2nd car, either as a summer toy or vehicle to track. Both the BMW and the Porsche are (arguably) on the same page for performance. Unlike something like the Lotus Elise which is more of a dedicated track car they both have upper end interiors and would be a comfortable ride if you wanted to take a road trip somewhere. I see them competing directly in a market for this type of consumer.