Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Honda Civic Type R in the USA in 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Honda Civic Type R in the USA in 2010?

Link --> YouTube - Fast Lane Daily - 28Feb2007 - Antas Maserati Type R Civic

You decide?

Honda Civic Europe Version

Watch --> YouTube - Honda Civic Type-R car review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s9zVIzmarY&feature=related

Pictures

Honda Civic type R Japanese Version

Watch --> YouTube - new honda civic type-R 2008

Article --> Winding Road » Archive » Honda Civic Type R Coming To States In 2010?

Last edited by Rayzel; 04-03-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
You would seriously take a Euro CTR over the Japanese? The Euro version is pretty much an Si with a hatchback body. The JDM CTR is leagues ahead of both the Si and the Euro CTR.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 AM
I would take the Japanese CTR over the Euro hatch.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Civic Type R in the US? I would love either version, but I don't think it will ever happen, (I say that to taunt the people who can make it happen...)

Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
I like the japan version...I think that hatch is ugly!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 AM
That Japanese CTR doesn't look that special to us Canadians.. :D

It is pretty similar to the 2007 Acura CSX Type-S. K20A, with Honda badging, aero kit, and wheels... sure there's tweaking to the suspension, engine, and things here and there, but the styling looks to be on par.

Carpages.ca - 2007 Acura CSX Type-S Road Test

Last edited by YeeFit; 04-03-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
That Japanese CTR is nothing special to us Canadians.. :D

It is pretty much a 2007 Acura CSX Type-S. K20A, with Honda badging, aero kit, and wheels...

Only thing the Type-S shares with the Type-R is the FA body style.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Only thing the Type-S shares with the Type-R is the FA body style.
Bingo, beat me to it. The JDM CTR is in a league of its own among Civics, and other FF's in general. ~400 lbs lighter than the Si/Type-S, Brembos, a suspension tuned for the track that'll put your gramma in the hospital from daily use, racing seats, entirely retuned engine, intake, and exhaust, etc. etc. If I had my CTR catalog I'd go into more detail, but you get the idea. Widely acclaimed as the best FF car ever, and faster than the S2000, it's not just badge re-engineering, but the real deal. This is the car my Fit's getting sold for when it comes over, period.

And the hatch is shit, and also widely noted as such.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Retired Moderator
You really like the Euro version!?! I think that thing is ugly as all hell!
But if they bring the JDM version over, ill be all over it and trade my Fit for it no doubt.

Moved to other Honda.

Tyler

Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Bingo, beat me to it. The JDM CTR is in a league of its own among Civics, and other FF's in general. ~400 lbs lighter than the Si/Type-S, Brembos, a suspension tuned for the track that'll put your gramma in the hospital from daily use, racing seats, entirely retuned engine, intake, and exhaust, etc. etc. If I had my CTR catalog I'd go into more detail, but you get the idea. Widely acclaimed as the best FF car ever, and faster than the S2000, it's not just badge re-engineering, but the real deal. This is the car my Fit's getting sold for when it comes over, period.

And the hatch is shit, and also widely noted as such.
All I was saying was that it looks like a Acura CSX Type-S, I said nothing about it being exactly the same, especially not performance wise. I was only quoting the obvious which was appearance. Of course the CTR will have weight reduction, better performance, blah, blah, blah etc etc etc...

In the end its CTR. Performance oriented, race inspired, and a sweet a$$ car.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Retired Moderator
Yup they definitely look the same. I'm with YeeFit on this, he never said they are the same car, just look the same :p

Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
?

I agree, the jdm type r is in fact the 'superior' car in terms of outright performance,....but who ever said that the ukdm type r is 'shit' is wrong.

where is it so 'widely noted' that it is? all the things i have ever read in european publications (which is the only opinon that really matters, as they are the only ones who can offer commentary as they have ACTUALLY driven it.) have loved it, naming it THE hot hatch to have! its superior to the old ep3 type r they used to have, which is saying a lot!

don't like the styling? hmm...you should all should be awarded a certificate that reads "hello, i'm one of the honda fans who ensures that all the designs that honda brings over here are as boring as possible."

I think it looks great, very different, and sporty. and its go fast parts don't look as 'tacked' on as they do the jdm type r, even if it is the superior machine.

on another note, it is NOT simply an usdm si hatchback.

it actually weighs about the same as the jdm market one, just with less power. BOTH of them are lighter than the usdm si sedan, but 400lbs lighter is a bit of strecth guys.

the ukdm type r has more tq and more hp than the usdm si, and it makes its power earlier in the rev range and it has a much flatter torque curve.

this plus unique suspension, the coolest gauge cluster OF ALL TIME, lightweight 18's and bigger (but not jdm brembo huge) brakes make it a unique car all in its own, much better suited to european (and american, given our bad roads) tastes.

i think it looks sick and it puts up good numbers, superior to anything honda offers over here with the exception of the s2k.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM
RDS
The Type R isn't coming to the states. Don't bother listening to the rumors. I'm not saying it to be pessimistic; I've spoken with people at Honda who practically assured me Japan intends to keep its Type-R. At least, Honda won't be bringing it. There are several private parties who have them though. We just showed two at HIN Los Angeles and will show them again at HIN in Chantilly VA this month if anybody's interested.

To the OP, why do you want a Euro Type R in the first place? Buy an Si. They're practically the same thing. What the Si gives up in practicality to the Euro hatch, it gains in performance over the Euro R.

Originally Posted by eldaino
where is it so 'widely noted' that it is? all the things i have ever read in european publications (which is the only opinon that really matters, as they are the only ones who can offer commentary as they have ACTUALLY driven it.) have loved it, naming it THE hot hatch to have! its superior to the old ep3 type r they used to have, which is saying a lot!
The Euro R has outsold all other hatches in its segment since its redesign, but the only magazines that have "loved" it, as you claim, are UK-based. Not surprising since the car's built in the UK, but most of the other magazines actually really don't like the car. It's a wasted opportunity, the perfect example of a group of people using a badge that traditionally stood for performance, to sell a car that prides itself on its practically.

I think it looks great, very different, and sporty. and its go fast parts don't look as 'tacked' on as they do the jdm type r, even if it is the superior machine.
The FD2s parts don't hardly look tacked on. But despite this matter of opinion, at least they're functional. The FN2 chooses style over substance. I'll take function over form, thank you very much.

on another note, it is NOT simply an usdm si hatchback.
Yeah, actually...it is.

[quote]it actually weighs about the same as the jdm market one, just with less power. BOTH of them are lighter than the usdm si sedan, but 400lbs lighter is a bit of strecth guys.

the ukdm type r has more tq and more hp than the usdm si.
On paper. It's been proven the Si is underrated.

this plus unique suspension,
If by "unique" you mean going from double wishbones to a torsion beam, I'd much rather not be unique....

i think it looks sick and it puts up good numbers, superior to anything honda offers over here with the exception of the s2k.
I dunno where you people get your numbers from but the FN2 is hardly "superior". The FN2 and Civic Si are neglible in terms of both 0-60 (6.6 to 6.7 respectively) and 1/4mile (14.6-14.7), but the Si will round the same track quicker.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
The Euro R has the same engine as the EP type R..... They did a comparo on top gear.... the euroR was slower, sloppier handling, less fun to drive than the EP Type R. Also can you imagine a Type R with a torsion beam rear suspension? ugh..

Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by YeeFit
That Japanese CTR doesn't look that special to us Canadians.. :D

It is pretty similar to the 2007 Acura CSX Type-S. K20A, with Honda badging, aero kit, and wheels... sure there's tweaking to the suspension, engine, and things here and there, but the styling looks to be on par.

haha i know i saw one of these on the road the other day down here in miami, the lady had canada tags. i had never seen it before here and i totally broke neck like "WTF A CTR????"

Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
That article is over a year old but I do think they would bring it over to compete against mazdaspeed and any other type of quick coupe.

The civic type RR actually ran Tsukuba Circuit a couple seconds quicker than the new sti and evo, so it actually might justify those as comparable cars. The si is just a little too numb compared to the current competition.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i like the sedan's appearance better.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Who ever designed that wing in the middle of the rear windshield on the EURO version needs to be FIRED.
IMAO...the Japan version R FTW!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 PM
RDS
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
The Euro R has the same engine as the EP type R..... They did a comparo on top gear.... the euroR was slower, sloppier handling, less fun to drive than the EP Type R. Also can you imagine a Type R with a torsion beam rear suspension? ugh..
Done correctly, a torsion beam FWD car can be setup to run similiar to a more expensive multilink rear. I think the 2008 Cobalt SS is going to shock some people with it's TB rear.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
The Euro R has outsold all other hatches in its segment since its redesign, but the only magazines that have "loved" it, as you claim, are UK-based. Not surprising since the car's built in the UK, but most of the other magazines actually really don't like the car. It's a wasted opportunity, the perfect example of a group of people using a badge that traditionally stood for performance, to sell a car that prides itself on its practically.

Sells say quite a lot. You realize what kind of cars compete over there? besides, why is the idea of a uk based magaize loving it have to do with ANYTHING? American si drivers don't love the si because its made in canada...they have other reasons. and you don't see euro magazines giving commentary on the usdm si because they don't have it over there. so the fact they those people deemed it the best has nothing to do with a uk bias.

if your country has a car, review, and see how it stacks up. thats what they did. u.s. testers didn't praise the si for what it is, simply because we didn't get a type r here.

The concept of the badge is quite interesting. the same could be said of our fits, and to anyone who soups em up.

The FD2s parts don't hardly look tacked on. But despite this matter of opinion, at least they're functional. The FN2 chooses style over substance. I'll take function over form, thank you very much.

matter of opinion, but most rear wings look tacked on no matter what. aside from the wing, i can't really see how the rest of it is functional....or how the euro hatch isn't functional to the same regard. at any rate, i'll take the bravely designed hatch over a gussied up sedan.

Yeah, actually...it is.

proof? the k20 z3 and z4 are different engines. the z3 in our si's has a peak tq rating of 139lbft at 7800rpms, just 200 before redline. the z4 in the euro r makes 142 at only 5600, and its redline is 8200. that would be enough tq down low to turn our si into a whole different animal.

On paper. It's been proven the Si is underrated.

if you go by your logic, then so is the fn2.

If by "unique" you mean going from double wishbones to a torsion beam, I'd much rather not be unique....

i was actually speaking in terms of suspension tuning...but remember, even with torsion beams, our little fits are able to put up better slalom numbers than a lot of multilink and double wishboned cars out there. its not just the part guys, its APPLICATION.

I dunno where you people get your numbers from but the FN2 is hardly "superior". The FN2 and Civic Si are neglible in terms of both 0-60 (6.6 to 6.7 respectively) and 1/4mile (14.6-14.7), but the Si will round the same track quicker
personally, i never understood why honda guys are so obsessed with these two particular parameters....outright acceleration isn't a honda trait, its the handling people, something that the uk type r DOES in fact do better than the usdm si...torsion beam and all.

and 6.7 is a bit optimistic, low 7's are more in line with reality. the uk type r's half second advantage is significant.

Quick Reply: Honda Civic Type R in the USA in 2010?