Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

BMW X6, Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
BMW X6, Thoughts?

Anybody had a close look at one of these new BMW X6 SUV Coupes?

I saw one at the international car show here in Calgary, they are HUGE vehicle's. Reminds me of a 4x4 monster car. I don't even know what kind of classification this car would fall under. What do you guys think?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I have not heard much about the car, but I don't think it looks bad from the given picture.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
yeah its hard to tell how big it really is from a drawing. I'm assuming its bigger than the X5. so maybe around Escalade size or a little bit smaller.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
This SUV is the big brother of the current X5 with a 4.4 V8, 400 hp/450 lbs of tq. I think it's coming out this spring or fall. Oh BTW, it does 0-60 MPH in 5.3 second using a twin turbo set up. I'd love to see this bad boy in person rollin!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
something that big running a 5.3 0-60..i wanna seee this car too x.x

Old 03-23-2008, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
I don't like it. BMW is getting further and further from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and keeps making silly soccer mom mobiles. If you need utility just get a damn 3/5 series wagon already. Stop wasting the world's resources and crapping up our air because you need to be seen in an SUV to look cool. "Sports Activity Vehicle" is a wishful thinking.

Sorry for the rant. The X6, the X3/X5, and the Cayenne all kind of make me mad. I don't care so much that other auto makers do it, but BMW and Porsche should be performance oriented companies. In that respect I'm happy that Honda has stuck to its company ideals (while also meeting the stockholder ideal of making money).

Old 03-23-2008, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
yeah but i dont think their suv's are slouches. I've seen a vid of a cayenne turbo spankin an EVO 8 or 9 on the track! shocking footage! although the tires were screaming to stop :D

Old 03-23-2008, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
BMW is not that much different than Honda when it comes to low emission vehicles. They're just a decade ahead of its time in many ways than one, IMO. If you want to talk about "Stop wasting the world's resources and crapping up our air," see this old 2006 blog: BMW officially announces the BMW Hydrogen 7 - AutoblogGreen

Old 03-23-2008, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
AccordGuyIntake:
Now, think of what BMW could do with that kind of R&D ability if it didn't have to fight the laws of physics!

1LegitFit:
They may be low emissions vehicles but the fact remains that SUV's burn a LOT of gasoline relative to their performance/usefulness. More combustion = more CO2 into the atmosphere.

Hydrogen is nothing but a PR stunt designed to divert the public's short attention span, so that companies can continue to do nothing in the short term. That way they can keep profitting off guzzlers while still saying, "Hey, but we're doing something!"

This X6 monstrosity is like all of the drawbacks of an SUV with none of the advantages.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
i think its a waist of money... turbo making 400 hp i might as well go for the SRT-8 jeep

Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
You might be right about that as a marketing strategy. As long as folks around the world demands Escalades, Denalis and Cayennes SUVs, BMW will compete in that market and a lot of $$ has already been dumped in its R&D. I recalled reading from a magazine a question where the X6 would be in the world of SUVs and would it crash and burn if the demands were not met. I think BMW is just trying to be on top with their X series just as they did with their 3 and 5 series. Nevertheless, they are a gas guzzler vehicles, but for the purpose of well engineered power.

Honda has kept a conservative approach to power and utilized light weight and low emission smaller displacement, but yet they developed the CRV, Pilot, Element and Ridgeline to compete with other import and domestic SUVs and trucks that's in demand. I see the same marketing strategy for Honda. If you compare most of the SUVs/trucks to the MPG to those of the Honda's SUV/trucks today, they are closely being matched. So they are there with some of the "gas crappers" that you are talking about. They just happen to be one of the first LEV car manufacturer to be around.

Last edited by 1LegitFit; 03-23-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
yea i don't know how they get off calling it a coupe but looks wise its kinda confusing!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Think of it like a sportier SUV. Like the Nissan Murano and Infinity FX35, but much faster with a twin turbo V8.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
hmmm...it doesnt look too bad...but I hate what it actually is though.
Coupe??? Is it really called a coupe??? Now how on earth does that work?:confused: maybe add an "s" to the end like "coupes". I would go with that since its BS anyway.:D

I could have sworn about two years ago that BMW (self admittedly) said something along the lines of they have little interest in doing hybrids and or high mpg vehicles as they wanted to remain true to the performance side of their machines. They have some diesel version but it was a far cry from being much more efficient or eco friendly than any other car they made.

I think the "performance" excuse/issue used by many manufaturers is the biggest load of crap ever! Lets knock off the crap about getting more HP for the same MPG and focus on keeping the HP and bumping the MPG and lowering the emmisions instead! Friggin backwards wacko jerks!:D heehee. I dont feel passionate about this at all...no not me;)

Old 03-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by coupdetat
AccordGuyIntake:
Now, think of what BMW could do with that kind of R&D ability if it didn't have to fight the laws of physics!

1LegitFit:
They may be low emissions vehicles but the fact remains that SUV's burn a LOT of gasoline relative to their performance/usefulness. More combustion = more CO2 into the atmosphere.

Hydrogen is nothing but a PR stunt designed to divert the public's short attention span, so that companies can continue to do nothing in the short term. That way they can keep profitting off guzzlers while still saying, "Hey, but we're doing something!"

This X6 monstrosity is like all of the drawbacks of an SUV with none of the advantages.
OUCH!!!!
...that says alot!:rotfl:

Yea I think that hydrogen is a real distraction from all the immediately viable ways (and practical ways) savings and efficiency can be made currently. You say "short attention span" I would have to dissagree and swap with "nonexistent attention span". Oh I'm sorry I missed that last part I was too buisy trying to figure out what happened with Brittany and her hair:eek: :rolleyes: ... its a sad world....

oh yeah...coupdetat congrats on the new green rep tick tack!

Last edited by Snap Fit; 03-23-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: why not all the cool kids are doing it....haahaa
Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
High performance big displacements and high MPG with low emissions cannot be together like "Ebony and Ivory", not right now, maybe in the future with more advance technology. But as long as gas is being used with over weight vehicles, we'll continue to kill the atmosphere. We're more "green" minded now and hope to continue use lesser emission vehicles. Electrical cars will be the way of the future if car technology plays out right. Hybrids vehicles is the building foundation for that.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coupdetat
I don't like it. BMW is getting further and further from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and keeps making silly soccer mom mobiles. If you need utility just get a damn 3/5 series wagon already. Stop wasting the world's resources and crapping up our air because you need to be seen in an SUV to look cool. "Sports Activity Vehicle" is a wishful thinking.

Sorry for the rant. The X6, the X3/X5, and the Cayenne all kind of make me mad. I don't care so much that other auto makers do it, but BMW and Porsche should be performance oriented companies. In that respect I'm happy that Honda has stuck to its company ideals (while also meeting the stockholder ideal of making money).
I think BMW is doing a pretty good balance of trying to keep everybody happy including the share holders. IMO they have come back to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" idea with the new 1 series after inflating the 3 series to a giant sedan.

I don't think this vehicle is really aimed at soccer moms too much, BMW is saying this SUV is going to feel like a car from the inside with the driver position.

Here is the USD pricing info I found, yikes!
xDrive35i is $52,500 and base price for XDrive50i is $63,000

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 03-23-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:22 PM
8mpg FTL!!!!

but then again, anyone that can afford a gargantuan BMW suv that can do 0-60 in 5.3 can probably afford the fuel cost.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
what really gets me giddy isnt the car itself. sure it looks alright, but its whats underneath the hood that counts. twin-turbo V8. now the E39 M5 had a NA V8 that was good for about 400 ponies yes? then the E60 came alone with its monstruous V10 and its 500 ponies. Now imagine the F10 M5 with a twin-turbo V8 that can easily be tuned to 600+ whp.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
There's one (M5 V10 Twin Turbo) already: BMW Photo Gallery / BMW Wallpaper - 2007 CMC Twin Turbo BMW M5

"BMW M5 couldn't get any better than this, Currency Motors goes and adds a twin turbo charged engine giving the BMW M5 a huge boost with 815 horsepower. While it will cost you $350,000, Currency Motors adds a hand-built intercooler system also."

If you're a BMW enthusiast, performance and handling are the top priorities that come into mind.

Quick Reply: BMW X6, Thoughts?