Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Interesting find...Saturn Astra transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Interesting find...Saturn Astra transmission.

I was reading about the Astra and while it has a somewhat retro 4 speed auto, apparently, when stopped and in drive, the transmission actually switches over to neutral.

I'm sure some newer cars have this feature but I thought it's a neat feature.

Here is the article...

Sporty Astra brings European style stateside - MotorHead - MSNBC.com

Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Retired Moderator
4speed AT's are lame. Typicall Saturn-ness.
But ive never heard of ATs switching to N at stops? Pretty cool i guess. But who knows maybe more cars do that then we know.

P.S-I was doing some research on the 2009 Corolla last night. And from what ive read i really like the car. It has a very Lexus like cabin, and the looks are growing on me. Anyway, that thing has a 4Speed AT? Can you belive that? Lameness Toyota!

Tyler

Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
too bad the 09 corolla is slower than the one it's replacing...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm sure not being able to get to the grocery store faster would be a major blow to the new Corolla ;)

Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
i just want to say the last generation corolla is a capable car. having autocrossed in street tire class and being able to trophy at every event is quite an accomplishment for a corolla. but now the new corolla won't be as capable which is dissappointing...

Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
btw Saturn buys motors from Honda ;)

Old 03-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
btw Saturn buys motors from Honda ;)
Only in the older VUEs...which is not going to be the case for the new VUE.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by sl0wp0k3
i just want to say the last generation corolla is a capable car. having autocrossed in street tire class and being able to trophy at every event is quite an accomplishment for a corolla. but now the new corolla won't be as capable which is dissappointing...
Plus it's a real eyesore...one ugly car. Everything about the Corolla's looks is like an afterthought. Toyota hands down, probably, makes the worst bodykit add-ons ever...but that could also be that their cars are just plain ugly too.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
But ive never heard of ATs switching to N at stops? Pretty cool i guess. But who knows maybe more cars do that then we know.

P.S-I was doing some research on the 2009 Corolla last night. And from what ive read i really like the car. It has a very Lexus like cabin, and the looks are growing on me. Anyway, that thing has a 4Speed AT? Can you belive that? Lameness Toyota!

Tyler
Test drove a 09 corolla s and a 08 civic dx back to back a few weeks ago. Corolla was so lack luster---the fun factor was non-existant and the cabin did not seem as well put together as I would of expected from a Toyota product. Needless to say we picked up a Fit Sport instead as it meets our needs more and it is a bunch more fun to drive compared to the civic and corolla. :vtec:

Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
Any advantage to auto tranny going to neutral at a stop?

Most Corolla models are meant to appeal to a broad audience and hence the tameness. Doesn't make the car fun but sure sell a lot of units.
At least Toyo gave the XRS the 2zz for a few years. THe new XRS with the 2.4 is just plane jane.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
I think the last gen Corolla was a really nice looking car. Not gorgeous, but clean and elegant. The old XRS was an awesome sleeper car, I wish there was one on sale locally so I could have test driven one.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by TOOL

Tyler
More like typical GM. I remember when the 03-04 ION Sedan had an available 5-speed automatic (sourced from Aisin). The reason GM got rid of that specific automatic was because there were some issues with shift flare. Then, they started using GM's Hydramatic 4-speed auto transmission. Having driven an ION with that transmission, it works well. Unfortunately, I've also owned an ION with a CVT. That transmission was loud and finicky. BTW, I test drove an Astra at a driving event, and while not the fastest car, it's handling was its strong point. It handled better than the Civic and as good as the VW Rabbit, which they had there for comparison.

Anyway, I do enjoy having a 5-speed auto in my Fit. If only GM would start putting 5-speeds in their small cars like most other manufacturers.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Climatologist
Plus it's a real eyesore...one ugly car. Everything about the Corolla's looks is like an afterthought. Toyota hands down, probably, makes the worst bodykit add-ons ever...but that could also be that their cars are just plain ugly too.
Worst body kits, eh? You should tell that to my roommate! He recently got a used 2007 Corolla S with the factory body kit, and now he thinks he's all that.:rotfl:

He got that since he had a Corolla before and he wanted to get out of a leased 2007 Camry that was a piece of shit.

At least I have my ABS and 6 airbags! He can keep his sunroof. ;)