Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit, Mazda3, and Jetta ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Fit, Mazda3, and Jetta ?

i am in the market for a new car,,

I am currently driving a 04 honda si , i am looking to trade in for either a Honda Fit , Mazda 3 or the Vw Jetta

Any suggestion guys? :D

Old 02-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Hmmm....let me see. You're asking this question on a message board dedicated to the Honda Fit. You know what kind of answer you're gonna get. Do your own research, test drive the cars, see what is good for your budget and you'll know what kind of car you want. Just look into your heart or some crap.

That's your first post since registering? Welcome?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
forget the vw. draw up a pro/con list for yourself for the mazda and the honda.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 PM
I would not get a V.W. for a ton of reason's(reilablity/service/resale/assembled in 3rd world countries).I thought about a V.W. before,but I went on their own forum's to see if they have improved on their car's(GTI/R32) and all I saw were people pissed and talking about the lemon law's.:hyper: I would test drive them both(the Mazda is nice)and that will make your decision alot easier.Whatever you decided post back and tell us why.Good Luck.:wavey:

Old 02-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I had a VW Golf and a close friend of mine owned the Jetta. We both had issues with the electrical systems, and found our cars that were made in Mexico weren't as reliable as those owners who had the German made ones. You pay a lot for the VW brand. It has fans, and the Jetta is the best of their offerings. But I would check out where it is made, discuss service with other owners, and decide if it's still a viable option.

The Mazda 3 looks great. You won't go wrong there.

The Fit is going to be the most economical and utilitarian solution. I think it does well in comparison to the other two you are looking at, but of course it all comes down to a personal preference. I decided on the Fit because it got high marks for reliability, fun to drive, easy on the pocket book, and got good gas mileage. It's won a lot of awards the others haven't, and is a unique looking car. I love mine, but then... I am here on Fit Freak...

Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
I just Sold a 2006 WRX to get a fit--because of relaiblity mpg fun factor and it is unique. Mind you the WRX is alot faster.

Mazda 3 blah--blah ford involved too much.
VW = Very Weak excuse for a car.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 PM
WELCOME:wavey:

well the intersting thing is you are comparing cars that are kinda in line with one another....except the Fit, which is odd man out in your comparo...
As was said before it is far, far more practical and economical than the other choices. It is not as fast but may actually be just as fun or more fun to drive. And obviously its far more versatile.

We here at FF give the Fit the stamp of approval....but if I were you...I would make a list of needs and such and go do extensive test drives...
What are some of your reasons for ditching you current ride? That might help.:confused:

take it easy and good luck
....hope its a Fit:)

(to the mods....any particular reason we move the smilies around every once in a while???:confused: is it to keep us on our toes???...Cuz I am pretty sure I am not going crazy...i hope...)

Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with hapalynai! Of course we are gonna say go with the FIT!:D
Why would you go from a Honda to a VW? Why?!:confused:

Old 02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
I currently have a mazda 3 *rental* and it is a nice car to drive, lots of room, and good on gas. BUT I miss my fit, and hate driving this car compared to my fit, cant wait till its out of the body shop. that should answer your question :p

Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sure the Mazda3 is a great car, but I swear half the cars at my school are 3's. Fits are much more unique, especially since '08 is the last production year of this generation. Also way better on gas than the Mazda and cheaper, more so considering the hatch isn't available with the 2.0 engine for some weird reason.

Last edited by coupdetat; 02-17-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for all the replies guys,,

anyways
i went to test drove them today,

Mazda 3 s 5mt- The exterior and the interior designs are nice ,but the interior feel kind of cheap ,, The dealer offering me $16000 for the brand new one, so i thought it's a really good deal

Vw jetta 2.5 s 5mt- Even tho it looks like it has a lot of weight in it, but it actually feel faster than the mazda 3 , since i am looking into the base model, so it only come with the steel wheel and the exterior looks kindda ugly but it's feel a lot more stable than the mazda 3 and the fit , the dealer was offering me around $17000 for the base model with cold weather package ( heated seats )

Fit sport 5 mt- it's a HONDA, the gas mileage is great and it's a lot more reliable than the mazda and the jetta, but it's slow ,, and i can hear a lot noises from the outside, and the dealer was offering me 15900 for the sport model, which is fair i guess, because i don't think you can talk down the price for fit

I am still deciding which one i should get, the prices are around the same... :confused: it's a hard decision

Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
in my opinion its not a hard choice. I love the feel of a real car not a bitch car.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Also consider the new 09 Matrix and Corolla.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:00 AM
I spent much of the weekend driving my daughters '07 Rabbit, which is very similar if not identical to the Jetta...except it's built in Germany. The mileage is mid 20's, 30 on the freeway with the 6 speed DSG. The Rabbit is more apples to apples comparison than the Jetta imo.

Subjectively it handles equally, more power, more intelligent gadgets and much more comfortable / adjustable seats. Interior space isn't as substantial, but still not bad. If the VW mileage were better, I'd have purchased one for myself but really wanted mid 30's, not mid 20's.

But if you haven't driven one of the VW"s, it's quite a bit of car for the $'s. Reliability remains to be seen, as so far the only problems have been a couple of rogue warning lights warning of nothing. I've owned 2 German built vdubs in the past, and they both ran strong over 100k.

Haven't driven the Mazda3, but loved my Miata and have heard the Mazda is a fun little car for the $'s. The build quality of the Miata was pretty shabby though, and my S2k felt like a vault in comparison. you gets what you pay for.

mg

Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
lol rogue warning lights on a 2007 vw... that's not surprising... we're fighting CEL on our jetta again...

Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mark16q
I spent much of the weekend driving my daughters '07 Rabbit The mileage is mid 20's, 30 on the freeway with the 6 speed DSG.

Reliability remains to be seen, as so far the only problems have been a couple of rogue warning lights warning of nothing. I've owned 2 German built vdubs in the past, and they both ran strong over 100k.
There is no 6 speed rabbit manual or auto, and there is no DSG rabbit.

as for the reliability, they have been rated one of the most unreliable brands by JD Power.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM
welcome!!!
ive ridden in all 3 n obviously own one. if i had to suggest the fit is the way to GO!!! :D

Old 02-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by Darkstars
There is no 6 speed rabbit manual or auto, and there is no DSG rabbit.

as for the reliability, they have been rated one of the most unreliable brands by JD Power.
somewhere I saw the word dsg, tiptronic I suppose is the correct term, but it most certainly is a 6 speed automatic

Build a Rabbit

and the reliability reports on the rabbit that I've seen have been pretty good. (crossing fingers).

mg

Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
although the 2.0T is where the fun+mpg is, the 2.5L has better reliability from what i've read. there was a minor issue with the charcoal can or something.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Mark16q
somewhere I saw the word dsg, tiptronic I suppose is the correct term, but it most certainly is a 6 speed automatic

Build a Rabbit

and the reliability reports on the rabbit that I've seen have been pretty good. (crossing fingers).

mg
Your right, I didn't realize they were actually calling it a DSG now.

There is the DSG and the good DSG. The trans from the rabbit is not the same as one from the GTI, GLI, and R32 (the DSG with paddle shifters, EXTREMELY quick shifting). It may be labeled the same but its not the same.

Quick Reply: Fit, Mazda3, and Jetta ?