Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Thinking of selling my other car - Prelude Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Thinking of selling my other car - Prelude Turbo

I'm highly considering selling the car I've been working on for the last 5 years. What would YOU deem to be a reasonable price.

Here are the specs:

1994 Honda Prelude SR-V Turbo, 5spd, 306K kms on body, 120 kms on built engine, full HVAC with A/C (yes, it works!), replaced all steering components including rack less than 100kms ago.

Performance:

Sleeved H22A4 Block (L.A. Full Sleeves)
CP 9.0:1 Forged Pistons
Eagle Forged H-Beam Piston Rods
1/2" ARP Head Studs
Race Profile Ported and Polished Head
3 Angle Polished OEM Valves
Crower Titanium Valve Springs
Crower Titanium Retainers
Custom T3/60-1 Hybrid Turbo
Custom Stainless “Log Style” Turbo Manifold
Greddy/TiAL 44mm Wastegate
Yonaka Half-Sized Dual-Core Radiator
Walboro 255lph Fuel Pump
Mugen Fan Switch
Mugen Thermostat
Custom Aluminum Radiator Cooling Plate
Yonaka 33x12x3 FMIC
Custom FMIC/Intake Aluminum piping
Custom 3” Stainless Downpipe
Vibrant 3” High Flow Catalytic Converter
Custom 3” Stainless Exhaust w/ 3” Apex-i N1 Muffler
Greddy Type-RS Blow-Off Valve
Turbosmart Eboost2 Controller
Apex-i Turbo Timer
Odyssey 545C Micro-Battery
Custom Aluminum Battery Tie-Down Bracket
3-Bar MAP Sensor
Custom P06 ECU
RC 1000cc Fuel Injectors
Bronze Valve Guides
Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Clutch (thick disc)
Fidanza 8lbs Flywheel
Fidanza Cam Gears
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Cermakrome/Body Coloured Engine Bay Detailing
Forbidden Motorsports True Short Shifter
Neuspeed Sport Springs (1.5F/1.75R)
Ingalls Camber Kit
KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks
Wilwood 13.25” Big Brake Rotors
Wilwood 4-pot Calipers w/Hawk Pads
Wilwood Stainless Braided Brake Lines
KVR Rear Cross-Drilled Rotors w/ CarbonFiber Pads
Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
Power-1 Rear Strut Tower Brace

Exterior:

Custom Blue w/Silver Pearl Effect Paint
18"x7.5" Konig Tuner 2 Wheels
225/35/18 Hankook Ventus K104 Tires
ViS Invader Style CarbonFiber Hood w/Blue Pearl Effect Paint
JDM One-Peice Black Housing Headlights
Vertical Doors
Custom Kombat Front Bumper
Custom Drift Side Skirts
Custom Drift Rear Bumper
Body Matched Front Vents
Shaved Antenna
ViS CarbonFiber Trunk w/Blue Pearl Effect Paint
ConceptCarbon Rear License Plate Holder w/Blue Pearl Effect Paint
ConceptCarbon OEM Spoiler w/Blue Pearl Effect Paint
PIAA Xtreme-White Headlight Bulbs
Custom Taillights
Clear Turn Signals
Oznium LED Underbody Kit

Interior:

Option Millennium Leather Steering Wheel
MOMO Tomahawk Leather/Aluminum Shift Knob
MOMO Leather Shift Boot
Ractive Carbon E-Brake Handle & Boot
Autometer CarbonFiber Guages (oil pressure/boost)
Real CabonFiber Dash Kit
Custom CarbonFiber Porshe Turbo Logo
Interior/Trunk Neon Lighting
Sparco Tourino 2 Racing Seats
Sparco Clubman 3-pt Harnesses
Diamond-Plate Aluminum Floor Mats
20% Quantum Reflective Tint
Ignited CarbonFiber Flight Switches

Audio/Visual:

Trunk Mounted 2nd Battery
In-Trunk Full-Colour Camera
Pioneer AVIC-D3 Navigation/DVD Headunit
19" In-Trunk Wide-Screen Monitor
1-Farad Capacitor w/LED Volt Meter
Rockford Fosgate P4004 4ch. Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate P2002 2ch. Amplifier
Front Infinity Reference Component 6.5" Speakers
Rear Infinity Reference Coaxial 6.5" SpeakersIn-Trunk Infinity Reference Coaxial 4” Speakers
Rockford Fosgate P2 12" Subwoofer

Custom Trunk Enclosure
Custom Fiberglass Body Coloured Lower Door Panels
Custom Fiberglass Body Coloured Tweeter Dash Pods

Pics (not updated since recent bodywork w/cf trunk and front bumper w/fmic):

The car has been dynotuned with over 400whp at 19psi (engine/turbo can handle over 25psi).

Last edited by ImPuLsIvE.ca; 01-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
clean looking prelude dude... how much u selling it for ?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Retired Moderator
I have no idea about price but that one decked out prelude! Looks really clean man.

Tyler

Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Zangoose GD3 Blue
clean looking prelude dude... how much u selling it for ?
I have no idea, that's why I'm asking what would be a reasonable offer. There's easily over $50K put into this car, hell the engine alone is estimated at $10K without the turbo setup. I know I could never get that much back, but getting an idea of what I COULD get would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Oh, in hindsight, Stock Preludes of this generation with good body condition go for about $8K-$10K CDN. So that gives a base ballpark figure I guess.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Anyone?
:(

Old 01-13-2008, 02:10 PM
you won't get what you want, so prepare to cry when you sell it for dirt...you'll be able to sell it to [a] some sucker for a good amount [b] somebody LOOKING for a complete car to your specs [c] for MAYBE 2k over book value...

to be honest, your car is done nicely, but since kits are played out, you'll be hard pressed to find somebody wanting the car unless they like that style...if you had all the stock components i'd suggest parting out your aftermarker exterior stuff...i sold my 96 accord coupe [full kit/color matched racing hearts/h22a swap/full suspenion/etc] for 6k 3 years ago...it sucked....

just be prepared to take a lowball offer...markets for cars like yours suck...

Old 01-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I really have no way of telling you a sale price without driving it :D

Old 01-13-2008, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Put it in storage, and then when cars like this are considered classic or old school, then turn it around to sell and I bet you'd get more then you will today in today's market. You'd almost definitely recoup. storage costs at least...
If my ride was that hooked up I'd never want to sell it. :D
Major props though. I was looking into that gen. prelude a while back and they were impossible to find stock, and even harder to find done up well like that. They were always beat up or half-ass "hooked up" with cheap parts and workmanship.
I looked at a stock 94 automatic with minor bondo repair work and it was going for 3500, with pretty high miles...
That's US dollars, and a few years back. Maybe nowadays it's more. You should look on ebay to see what similar cars are selling for - especially if you have documentation of the work, there's bound to be someone out there who's as serious as you are with cars and also has some money to blow. I think that could give you a broad idea of what to expect price-wise. Unfortunately you'll only see a percentage of what you invested, but such is life, right?
Best of luck, and awesome ride! If I was financially secure enough, I just might have made you an offer you couldn't refuse! :cool:

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Thats one of those cars you just don't sell....unless you find a really responsible person who really really wants it

Old 01-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, putting money in cars isn't an investment, it's a complete loss. It's sad, but that's reality.

Putting it up on eBay with a high reserve however might give me an idea as to what people would be willing to pay for it. I know that locally, there's no way I could sell the car for anymore than say, $14K-$15K CDN, and even then I'd be lucky to find a buyer. The fact that I highly doubt the car would pass safety would be another issue (vertical doors + cut re-bar to fit the FMIC). Most people who buy cars, especially like this one, want them safetied and emissions tested.

The other way I was thinking of going is by first getting the car appraised by a professional to see how much the car is actually worth. Then seeing if I can get close to that said amount. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble, but at least I'd know the true value of what I've worked so hard to create.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
Put it in storage, and then when cars like this are considered classic or old school, then turn it around to sell and I bet you'd get more then you will today in today's market. You'd almost definitely recoup. storage costs at least...
Sadly, cars like these will never be considered classics or old-school. There's too many of them out there. Even if I were to wait 20+ years, it's not like there's a market for extremely modified Hondas.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I am thinking you would not get much more than like 15k for it and it would have to be someone who loves ludes and tuning that would buy it.

I am selling my 1991 civic that is also turbo and has a bunch of stuff like yours for about a quarter of what I put into it and the whole turbo kit has like 4000kms on it.

If you want to sell it to get some money then I highly suggest keeping it. The only reason I'd recommend selling it is if you can't afford to keep it anymore.

Think about it, you've invested all this time and energy into building it this way. You probably spent many many nights dreaming of the day you would install this or that part and when it's finally done, after all the efforts, you're just going to turn around and sell it?

If you are bored with it, sell the whole setup and rebuild it a different way. It will still be cheaper than purchasing another project car and starting over.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ImPuLsIvE.ca
Sadly, cars like these will never be considered classics or old-school. There's too many of them out there. Even if I were to wait 20+ years, it's not like there's a market for extremely modified Hondas.

whoa whoa whoa!

there is defintely a market for used hondas...its just to be totally and brutally honest, its the bodykit and huge sound system is killing it. (not to mention the neon underlight kit.)

if your car was super clean, had a nice set of wheels that looked sporty but were not as over the top as they are now, was without all the aftermarket sound stuff and was body-kit less, someone would LOVE to buy it, and while you may still not get exactly what you want, it would be a much easier sell.

your car is unique in the sense that you have dedicated a lot of time to building up the engine (necessary as you know for h series motors.), but you have also done all the extravagant exterior and sound system mods that only hinder performance by adding unecessary weight.

i dunno man. like i said, there is market for modded hondas, a really nice swap or clean stock gsr/typer/si but once you start getting into things that aren't to everyone's taste, its alot harder to pull off.