Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Evo X vs. STi

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Old 12-26-2007, 12:07 PM
STi interior > EVO interior
STi exterior < EVO exterior

Both have great power and would be fun to drive. EVO can probably get more power out of the box with bolt-ons.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM
+1
to the ^^^ based on the interior and exterior!!! Big time!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
i have to admit that i'm not all that excited about either car. however, the single most important development and the thing that i think will most influence the design of futre cars, if anything coming from these cars, will be the Evo's AYC. torque vectoring is, for me, a very very exciting field. people don't usually think of it this way, but that's what LSDs have done for sports cars. it is of course a mechanical means of vectoring torque, but it is essentially a single setting meant as an average of all conditions. controlling the left - right distribution of torque electronically opens a whole new can of worms. yes, AYC is not necessarily new for the Evo, but it is new to the american market. i mean, .99g on a road going car using what are still layman's tires? porches achive massive grip, but always through the use of massive, high grip tires. 245s plus treadlife of >10,000 miles and .99? that is exciting. and to soundly beat the STi despite having a pretty significant weight penalty while making almost the same amount of power shows the potential of AYC and the development of AWD that mitsu is applying to road going cars. i'm really curious about what the sensation of driving an actively, electronically controlled rear diff. it must subjectively feel very different.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Retired Moderator
Evo all the fricken way, im not o fan of the STi..
That Evos a poor mans IS-F!

Tyler

Old 12-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah...I really gotta go with the EVO...

you gotta love a car that looks like its grille was meant to swallow its competitors and then be used as an aux intake on a JET!

or just shovel snow (not plow just scoop)

Last edited by Snap Fit; 12-26-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: because I felt like it...so there!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Having seen both car in person I would say the Evo.
I like the way the Evo look and handling.
The Subie is faster and come in a hatch.
Overall the Evo have more things that I like and would be my choice.
To bad I can't afford either :(.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Retired Moderator
Eventually down the road i wouldnt mind picking up a new Evo..Such a badass car now that they refined it a bit. Now its ok to drive everyday, and on the weekends killer on the track. Sounds like a nice mix to me!

Tyler

Old 12-26-2007, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
The STI gives that that whole MS3 feel as far as the exterior goes while the Evo looks agressive but doesnt have that boy racer look it had in the previous years. As far as interior goes Mitsubishi stepped up a little but i think the STI blows the Evo away in that category. What would i drive? Probably the STI only because the Evo is a mitsubishi and i wouldnt want to deal with car problems or problems with the dealership.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
i guess that i'm one of the few that has been turned off by the evo X. i liked the hard edged, big fenders, no apologies attitude. previous evos definitely had a sense of focus and purpose, and that was to entertain only one person - the nut behind the wheel.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
kennef i knew you were anxiously waiting for a review like this!

i must say that that .99g's on the skid pad is amazing,...and significantly higher than any othe tests i've read about the evo X.

Personally, i'd take the sti, because i'm much more of a subie guy than an evo guy. sti's always made me go 'oooooh' when i'd see them...evo's not so much, even though i always knew of the advantages that they had.

i like the evo's looks, but i do kinda miss the boy racer look of the old one...it fit its character better, it was the sti's job to look buttoned down, not the evo's.

I like the hatch configuration and interior of the subie much better as well. I'll take one in white pearl with the gold bbs wheel package thanks.

now if i could only afford it!:(

Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Fitftw
The STI gives that that whole MS3 feel as far as the exterior goes while the Evo looks agressive but doesnt have that boy racer look it had in the previous years. As far as interior goes Mitsubishi stepped up a little but i think the STI blows the Evo away in that category. What would i drive? Probably the STI only because the Evo is a mitsubishi and i wouldnt want to deal with car problems or problems with the dealership.
I agree with your last statement. My evo spent as much time on the rack at the stealership then it did on the road. I'm done with mitsu after that car, but I freaking loved that car when it worked. To me they are both hideously ugly, so I'll wait. Sti looks better in the comparison though.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by TOOL
Evo all the fricken way, im not o fan of the STi..
That Evos a poor mans IS-F!

Tyler
My outlook has changed since i posted this. Im still going to say id buy the Evo over the STi but i dont dislike the STi anymore. After reading two or three mag articles on the 08 STi it seems like a very good car for the money. The looks are debatable but they have grown on me. The interior is one of the best parts of this car IMO. They blow the evo away. The materials Subie used looks great, and from what ive read feel great. The interior on the Evo looks like its straight out of a old Kia. Owners of the new X have already started complaining about how bad the interior is on Evo forums.
Above both these cars is the 135i, which is same price and will burn both these cars in a drag, maybe not "burn" them in the turns but it will hold its own with these two cars. Not only that but its a bimmer, and with that you get Bimmer luxury and Bimmer quality. Id go 135i over these two anyday.

Tyler

Old 02-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I'd take a backseat drive in an EVO-X over driver's seat in an STI any day! All of our opinions are completely subjective, and in mine, the evo-x is a sexy beast! i don't wanna drive a station wagon! hatchback my asscrack! the STi's oddly proportioned IMHO. It looks like the lovechild of a mazda 3 and a "something-much-uglier-than-a-mazda-3".

I had the privelage of driving an evo9 last year, simply put, it took my freakin' breath away. and with all the upgrades over the 9, the X can only be exponentially better. The only thing that might come close is my Fit, of course ;)
EVO ALL THE WAY!

That's an engine????

Ahh, much better... MIVEC FTW!!
Forgot to mention: SAWC is something you simply need to experience, it cant be comprehended simply by hearing about it...

Last edited by REXXXXXXXXX; 02-14-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
STi!!

I'd go with the STi personally, you do know why Subaru offers the new Impreza in a hatch right? Cause they were getting their asses kicked in the WRC (World Rally Championship) by Ford Europe, Peugot, Etc. Who all use hatches, and you can only use production model in the cars on the WRC. So... Subaru makes a hatch to use in the WRC. BIG UPS! to Subaru for staying true to the sport that helped make them who they are, I don't see Mitsubishi supporting Motorsports, or more importantly the fans of their cars, in any way that comes close.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
everyone, make sure you read the entire article. rex, i agree. i think that the top mounted intercooler is made of fail, but it's something the aftermarket easily fixes. the real problem is the labor costs when doing work on the boxer motor - it's pretty silly.

i guess it comes down to this - what do you value in your sports car experience?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
true, very true, top mount was made for rally, not for the street.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
i guess it comes down to this - what do you value in your sports car experience?
The experience... which comes stock on an EVO

Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by REXXXXXXXXX
The experience... which comes stock on an EVO

to a normal guy like me, i think a backseat or even a drive in either car would be quite an experience.

at any rate, i'd take the new r32 (oh no let the flaming begin!) because it suits my style and tastes better. (car and driver agree's with me.:D ).

if offered the keys to either one, i think i'd take the sti, just for the gold bbs' i could get with it. that and its blistering top end.

but the evo IS the better handler of the two...plus in white it looks like a stormtrooper.:)

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. STi