Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Evo X vs. STi

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT-SO
true, very true, top mount was made for rally, not for the street.
yup, for a street car, there is only one positive, which is transient boost response. oddly enough, the STi doesn't do that as well as the evo, despite its shorter IC piping and 25% greater displacement. here we have a good example of marketing trumping engineering.

eldaino, i so want to bash on the R32, but i think we've already gone that road:D so we'll just have to agree to disagree. but the latest car and driver picked the evo as the top car. and while the R32 is a "nice" car, i interpreted their review to say that it was basically a poseur of a car with sports car marketing and that it was included because its stat sheet seemed to fit the bill. and this isn't a direct quote, but they did express that the STi does a great impersonation of an understeering pig. or something to that effect. (ok, i guess i'm picking a fight, but i assure you that my insults are just to get a rise, nothing more. well, i guess to also help me get through the work day, i can't lie.)

but, then again, that's another american magazine demonstrating that the evo 9 mr is faster than all of the above. long live the king!

Last edited by kennef; 02-14-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
yup, for a street car, there is only one positive, which is transient boost response. oddly enough, the STi doesn't do that as well as the evo, despite its shorter IC piping and 25% greater displacement. here we have a good example of marketing trumping engineering.

eldaino, i so want to bash on the R32, but i think we've already gone that road:D so we'll just have to agree to disagree. but the latest car and driver picked the evo as the top car. and while the R32 is a "nice" car, i interpreted their review to say that it was basically a poseur of a car with sports car marketing and that it was included because its stat sheet seemed to fit the bill. and this isn't a direct quote, but they did express that the STi does a great impersonation of an understeering pig. or something to that effect. (ok, i guess i'm picking a fight, but i assure you that my insults are just to get a rise, nothing more. well, i guess to also help me get through the work day, i can't lie.)

but, then again, that's another american magazine demonstrating that the evo 9 mr is faster than all of the above. long live the king!

oh ken you naughty boy!:D

i knew you wouldn't resist chiming in!

i know its not a direct quote, but i really don't think they meant to insinuate that at all, whereas they DID flat out say that the subie was an understeering pig.:)

they just found a lot of little things about the R that they liked enough to give it a nod over the subie, which i understand that 'intelligent' approach to speed as they put it. its the car that would get my money, like the 2 out of the 3 reviewers there would have.

do i think it really belongs in a direct comparo? nah. it DOES get out performed. The previous gen r was a better match up, even if the new one has the superior suspension. But like they said, it was included, because like the sti and evo, its based on an entry level platform, has awd and boastes 200+ hp. I think of it more as a grand tourer that from a spec sheet, looks like it could compete.

but taken as a whole, it still offers some impressive numbers, and laps faster than a bmw1 series with the m package for a whole lot less kit, and that means a bunch to me! remember i used to own a rabbit, and i like luxury and aesthetics. but oooh that exhaust note!(an narrow angle six has an addicting sound, even if it doesn't have as much gusto as the other two. its a shame that mitsu can't tune their engines to sound good. and subies just have that weirdness to them to begin with!)

i don't doubt the evo or sti's prowress however, i know that number wise, they are superior. but they wouldn't meet MY personal needs as much.

hey i'm all for a rise man, i got a work day to get through too!

Last edited by eldaino; 02-15-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
so, i got a chance to drive an evo x the other day.

i just dont know what to say, honestly. the steering feels heavier and the ratio is slower; the interior is nicer but really i am not impressed and even if it were worse, i wouldn't care; i can "feel" that the car is heavier (probably due to the slower, heavier steering in addition to the actual weight gain); and my wife thinks the evo 9 looks more distinctive (interpret as you will).

but i can't get my mind off of the AYC. torque vectoring via a computer is, imo, THE way of the future. think of the step up that an LSD is over an open diff. then mulitply that difference by at least 2, and you have Evo X AYC vs. the Evo IX mechanical LSDs. personally, i was very impressed at the few dynamic qualities that i could tease out of my friend's X (done in a parking lot at parking lot speed).

i'm not gonna lie. the evo X and the ralliart have few differences that the aftermarket can't easily bring to parity. but i think that the AYC and the level of integration that Mitsubishi's (of all manufacturers) SAYC (super all wheel control) brings to the table just might be worth the money after all.

i hate the evo x.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
so, i got a chance to drive an evo x the other day.

i just dont know what to say, honestly. the steering feels heavier and the ratio is slower; the interior is nicer but really i am not impressed and even if it were worse, i wouldn't care; i can "feel" that the car is heavier (probably due to the slower, heavier steering in addition to the actual weight gain); and my wife thinks the evo 9 looks more distinctive (interpret as you will).

but i can't get my mind off of the AYC. torque vectoring via a computer is, imo, THE way of the future. think of the step up that an LSD is over an open diff. then mulitply that difference by at least 2, and you have Evo X AYC vs. the Evo IX mechanical LSDs. personally, i was very impressed at the few dynamic qualities that i could tease out of my friend's X (done in a parking lot at parking lot speed).

i'm not gonna lie. the evo X and the ralliart have few differences that the aftermarket can't easily bring to parity. but i think that the AYC and the level of integration that Mitsubishi's (of all manufacturers) SAYC (super all wheel control) brings to the table just might be worth the money after all.

i hate the evo x.

nice!

i hope they bring over the sport back verision of the ralliart...it looks dead sexy.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Instead of making a new thread, I decided to bump this one up. I read this artical and thought that the EvoX didnt look too bad. I saw one for the first time today in person, WOW its SO ugly! Beyond ugly! Its huge and bulky looking but its short. AHHH!!! Its just, gross.

I guess thats another part of the competition with the STi. The ugliness?
Theyre both pretty ugly. At least the Evo didnt bite duplicate the Mazda3 though like the STi did.

Only good thing is that it ran a decent 13.7@101. Stock thats not bad. Its still no Evo. You all know it. No Evo is complete without a 4G63T.
Plus, seeing a few Evo8's and 9's running was just the top off.

The Evo's sex appeal ended at the Evo9.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Sold Our 06 WRX for a fit---not sure if that says anything.

Sure it was whole bunch faster --but it just was crappy on gas, high on insurance and really does not handle all that better than the Fit. We've owned our fit for 2 days now and wow I'm impressed. The amount of room is crazy.:wavey:

I wouldn't buy either the Sti or Evo
Just my 0.02$

Old 03-06-2008, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Pics of 2009 STI WRC in testing

No doubt Fit wins insurance, gas, car payment and even handling duels, but nothing can deny attributes these two bring to a slippery surface!
Hate hatchbacks? DO you now how much cheaper insurance is on a 5 door vs. sedan?

You like this ass better? Get used to it. That is where Mitsu is going. Right after Subaru. Not that it is wrong direction, it is not. It is just uglier one of the two by far!

I like this ass much more!

I also like what Prodrive is doing with it. Not that the present car is that bad. Just came second in Rally Mexico with Chris Atkinson behind the wheel.
More 2009 STI WRC pics in here:
Picasa Web Albums - Ciburri - 2009 STI WRC ...

There is something about that boxer rumble that makes me warm and fuzzy. SO much character! You know what character is - just glance over our Fits!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
We Had an 06 WRX Wagon and the insurance was still pretty darn high---not sure if it really mattered if it was a wagon or not as as it was still a WRX.

I must admit I will miss the AWD winter drifting fun:(

Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by ciburri
No doubt Fit wins insurance, gas, car payment and even handling duels, but nothing can deny attributes these two bring to a slippery surface!
Hate hatchbacks? DO you now how much cheaper insurance is on a 5 door vs. sedan?

You like this ass better? Get used to it. That is where Mitsu is going. Right after Subaru. Not that it is wrong direction, it is not. It is just uglier one of the two by far!

I like this ass much more!

I also like what Prodrive is doing with it. Not that the present car is that bad. Just came second in Rally Mexico with Chris Atkinson behind the wheel.
More 2009 STI WRC pics in here:
Picasa Web Albums - Ciburri - 2009 STI WRC ...

There is something about that boxer rumble that makes me warm and fuzzy. SO much character! You know what character is - just glance over our Fits!
Those pics in your album are awesome!!!! I cant belive how high rally cars can get with out the suspension breaking. Thats awesome.

About the STi, vs EvoX. Im now going to say neither, both of them really dont do much for me in real life. I saw a Lancer GTS from a distance yesterday, you could not tell it wasnt an EvoX till i got really close. Same will go for the WRX hatch. Both of the cars are in the mid to low 20s and look about the same as the STi and EVO. Yeah i know they lack the enormous power that the STi and EVO have, but if im going to pay 35+k on a car i want it to look far diffrent the 20k little sibling.

Tyler

Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Thats the only thing I like about the WRX Ivan is the exhaust note. I prefer the old bug eye body style anyway. If I had to choose STi vs Evo (8 and 9) Evo all the way. You cant match the 4G63. Im still freaked that they dropped it.

My friend has an STi Limited. Its like an 06 or something? That thing is NICE.
I hate the front end but his car just looks gorgeous.

You could drive that in reverse and no one would notice!!! Hahahah!
Looks like a Mazda6 with Saab wheels.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Speaking of STi's exhaust note!!!!!
Yesterday i was getting on the freeway and heard the BEST sounding STi EVER! Soooo Deep and rumbly.

Tyler

Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
You know what makes me melt? Evo8/Evo9's with a tubi mani, cat-delete, and full exhaust.
OMBob, sounds like a modded street bike! I dont care about the buzz or Honda sound, its movin!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Thats the only thing I like about the WRX Ivan is the exhaust note. I prefer the old bug eye body style anyway.
My friend has an STi Limited. Its like an 06 or something? That thing is NICE.
I hate the front end but his car just looks gorgeous.

You could drive that in reverse and no one would notice!!! Hahahah!
Looks like a Mazda6 with Saab wheels.
totally agreed! and those sti limited's where awesome, though they should have offered them in more colors.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
About the STi, vs EvoX. Im now going to say neither, both of them really dont do much for me in real life. I saw a Lancer GTS from a distance yesterday, you could not tell it wasnt an EvoX till i got really close. Same will go for the WRX hatch. Both of the cars are in the mid to low 20s and look about the same as the STi and EVO. Yeah i know they lack the enormous power that the STi and EVO have, but if im going to pay 35+k on a car i want it to look far diffrent the 20k little sibling.

Tyler

i think you mean the impreza hatchback? cause the wrx has the added hood scoop, but it does look close. But this stood out because unlike the lancer gts, the wrx has real performance behind it...but it doesn't cost 20k. it starts out at like 24 and gets pricey VERY VERY quickly.

once the ralliart comes out, it'll offer some competition to the wrx. and despite the comments on looks, i thinkt the lancer ralliart sportback looks GREAT. and the mazda 3 wagon is a looker too, looks like an alfa romeo, not a bad design to copy, though i do think the mazda looks better than the subie.

but engine notes will ALWAYS go to subarus. I agree with ciburri, there is nothing like that boxer growl!:)

Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
i must admit, the new STi looks great in person. the fender flares are awesome and more gutsy than the previous generation was compared to the WRX or base imprezza. it's just that there isn't a lot of truth in advertising in the subaru. boxy fender flares - check. personality to match - NA (not available).

i can't lie, i have been solidly in the Evo camp for a while. but this latest iteration has convinced me even more so that the only one to take seriously between the two is the Evo.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
you know, that was a little extreme. a proper suspension and alignment can do wonders for a car. i just think that in the long run the evo will again dominate.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have always been a big fan of the STI, but the latest version of it has me scratching my head. They took an aggresive looking car designed for rally racing and remodeled it after a Mazda 3 crossed with a Chrysler Pacifica... FUGLY and bland.

It might be the fact that the new Evo is finally available in Canada for the first time ever.... but if I had to choose I would take the Evo hands down over the STI.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Retired Moderator
I'd take the STi over the Evo...never was a Mitsubishi guy...I hate them almost as much as I hate Toyota hahaha...

The look of the STi grows on you that's for sure...it grew on me...

Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
here's a good write up by subaru folks. note the tinge of denial as you read the review.

PERRIN Exposes the X..... - evolutionm.net

Last edited by kennef; 03-12-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I am just going to wait around till the evo is cool again. Compare the evo 1 to the evo 5 and there is more refinement but a whole lot more performance. If there will be an evo 15, it might just be cooler than all the other evos.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. STi