Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Mazda3 versus the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Haha. I know they have some good cars and some arent as good. I just have heard numerous horror stories about owning a Ford.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have both Mazda SP23 2005 and Blue Sport A Fit 2007 and they both are great cars.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
A deer crashed into my car (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...8284-deer.html) and my insurance company is paying for a rental. Enterprise gave me a Mazda 3. It's very stripped down: no power locks or windows, no cruise control. I've been missing the rear windshield wiper in all the rain we've been getting.

It does shift a little smoother than my Fit, and if I'm going too fast or my RPMs are too high, it won't let me accidentally shift into 1st, but the manual shifter is on the floor: I prefer paddle shifters! The Mazda doesn't seem as roomy, nor does it have the magic seats. And the back seats are covered in ash from my smoking, a problem that never occurred with my Fit.

I want my Fit back! (I should get it some time this week. I hope.)

Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kristina_kim
Here's what you need to know:

The good:

The power is more than adequate for a car of its size. Passing on the freeway is easy, and acceleration is nice. However, the top end is almost totally non-existent - this car is all about mid-range torque.

The dynamics of the car are good, but not great. Braking and handling are superb in their response, but their limits aren't very high.

The build quality is extremely good, above and beyond what anyone else offers right now. Reliability has been good as well - you can't take everyone's anecdotal stories as a representation of true reliability, just as possible issues you might have. This is variable because of the car you get and the sort of dealers you have access to. But overall, its reliability rating has been up to par.

Now for the bad:

The engine is extremely temperamental. You have to get oil changes at exactly 3000 miles or you will have a major drop in performance and engine power.

The gas milage is very poor. I averaged about 22 MPG combined city/highway. The best i've gotten is about 25-26 MPG.

That's it pretty much. Everything else boils down to personal preference.

thats a stretch no? 'above and beyond' makes it sound like its amazing. its not. the interior of the mazda 3 in any trim is no nicer than a honda civic, and not as nice as a jetta/rabbit. sportier? yes. nicer? not really.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
The mazdaspeed3.... would and has smoked SI'S all day long. I love my Honda's but the SI is no match for the speed3.

GD3blaze07':)

i'd hate to say it TOOL, but GD3blaze07 is right...honda needs a real type r to compete.

the si cheaper though whereas most mazdaspeeds that i have seen are pretty decked out.

the only downsides to the mazdaspeed are that the shifter compared to the si is horrible, (the si has got it there) it has quite a bit of torque steer, and the car makes a suprisingly low amount of power to the actual wheels. and because of power delivery, this is a car that is very easy to not go fast in the real world, whereas the si is very easy to drive and refuses to understeer. (it feels more 'tossable' too.)

the si puts up slighlty better grip, but the speed 3 has an advantage in acceleration. (but then again is 6.0 compared to 6.7 seconds all that horrible?) I'd personally take an si, especially since aside from exhaust and intake, the speed 3 is maxed out. there is a pretty huge aftermarket for the si.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:31 PM
After doing the comparisons, I ended up getting the 2008 Mazda3 because the Mazda dealer made me a great deal and took my old car and give me a very good trade-in value for it (much, much more than he wanted to). In the end, it was cheaper (the new Mazda3) than what I would've had to pay for the new 2008 Sport because Honda would not take my old car for anything more than a few bucks, in terms of trade in value.

The Honda guys did not want to negotiate more than a few bucks, cause they kept saying how there is no profit for the Fit, and they would not budge. So I guess Mazda caved in for me to steal a customer from Honda.

I'll still be a big Fit fan and recommend it to others, but I wanted to thank everyone for their help as I made this decision.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
i'd hate to say it TOOL, but GD3blaze07 is right...honda needs a real type r to compete.

the si cheaper though whereas most mazdaspeeds that i have seen are pretty decked out.

the only downsides to the mazdaspeed are that the shifter compared to the si is horrible, (the si has got it there) it has quite a bit of torque steer, and the car makes a suprisingly low amount of power to the actual wheels. and because of power delivery, this is a car that is very easy to not go fast in the real world, whereas the si is very easy to drive and refuses to understeer. (it feels more 'tossable' too.)

the si puts up slighlty better grip, but the speed 3 has an advantage in acceleration. (but then again is 6.0 compared to 6.7 seconds all that horrible?) I'd personally take an si, especially since aside from exhaust and intake, the speed 3 is maxed out. there is a pretty huge aftermarket for the si.
Got my speed3 for 19,939 the last 07 they had left so I got a great deal on it. As far as if it is better than an Si I guess I will have to find an Si and race it. BUt stats wise the mazda handles better and accelerates better.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 PM
To add my 2 cents in, when I hear the word Mazda 3, all i can think of is the same as Ford Taurus or Ford Pinto. Mazda is the same thing as Ford. That is one of the reasons why I dislike Mazda. Plus, I knew a Medical Doctor who loved her Millenia and used to commute 1.5 hrs one way, she had to get rid of it cause it gave her way too many mechanical problems. She actually switch to a BMW. All i remember her telling me was....you pay for what you get!! I say don't do it!! :cool:

Old 12-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Mazdas are made in japan though where fords are built in the USA. Mazdas use different parts than fords so really the main thing that they share is just the fact that they are part of the ford "family" no big deal.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I ended up paying about $17K out the door for the M3. Negotiating back and forth with Honda (including the trade in) for the 2008 Sport Fit, they wouldn't budge from above that number. Oh well....

BTW, I think Ford "owns" Volvo too, but the Volvo's are not made in the US. Same with the Mazdas. I actually parked my M3 (i touring model) right next to a blue 2008 Fit the other day at the mall, just for kicks. The M3 is a little longer, and it seems that the passenger seat is slightly higher than the Fit.

Oh well, what could've been for me...I REALLY wanted the Blackberry Pearl Fit! :)

Old 12-23-2007, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
young roids if you are getting the aftermarket engine mounts they wont affect you warrenties and make sure you get them from CPU ( i think thats the name of it) they only work on mazdas...

Old 12-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Zangoose GD3 Blue
young roids if you are getting the aftermarket engine mounts they wont affect you warrenties and make sure you get them from CPU ( i think thats the name of it) they only work on mazdas...
Is it CP-E?

Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
i like the looks of the 3 hatch, interior is alright too but i prefer the fit's looks/interior over the 3. Also i heard Mazda's have a lot of electrical problems and them being part Ford...i dont know i'd rather stick with Honda Reliability

Old 12-23-2007, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Young Roids
Is it CP-E?
lol yeah my bad

Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM
congrats on your purchase. the mazda is a great car. i've had my 3 now for 50k miles with only one visit to the dealer to replace one sensor, covered under warranty. the only complaint that i have on the car is that the a/c is a little weak, otherwise i consider it one of the best purchases i made. its now the wife's car and i picked myself up a fit, and while its an awesome little car, its very different from the 3. either way you can't lose.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Young Roids
Got my speed3 for 19,939 the last 07 they had left so I got a great deal on it. As far as if it is better than an Si I guess I will have to find an Si and race it. BUt stats wise the mazda handles better and accelerates better.

thats pretty cheap for a speed 3. i guess they are not doing as well as mazda predicted?

i have yet to see a used 06+si at any place other than a honda dealer. I've seen a few speed 3's for sale slighlty used...but not at mazda dealers, i even saw one at a toyota dealer ugh!

Racing an si isn't going to prove if your car is 'better'. it may be a bit quicker than the si, but i'm sure that the si will be better for the person who is driving it.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I am not really sure why I got such a great deal since all other MS3s that I have seen have been going at sticker or like 500 under sticker. I think they are selling very well from what I have heard. The speed6 is a different story though, those you can get great deals on since sales is very sluggish.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rreyes99
To add my 2 cents in, when I hear the word Mazda 3, all i can think of is the same as Ford Taurus or Ford Pinto. Mazda is the same thing as Ford. That is one of the reasons why I dislike Mazda. Plus, I knew a Medical Doctor who loved her Millenia and used to commute 1.5 hrs one way, she had to get rid of it cause it gave her way too many mechanical problems. She actually switch to a BMW. All i remember her telling me was....you pay for what you get!! I say don't do it!! :cool:
Ford doesnt fully own mazda, last time i checked they only own about 30% of mazda, despite the problems the MS3 is still a good car

Old 12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
As far as I know there are only mazda and volvo parts used on the speed3, it shares nothing with any ford vehicle.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Mazda 3 vs Fit

Well I will try to stay unbias con sidering I bought the fit on the my birthday dec 26 :) but i was deciding between the 2. I love the way they both look yet the mazda seems abit more agressive yet the fit is more agile somewhat more fun to drive by that. I was actually about to purchase the mazdaspeed 3 when i figured out that the mazda3 hatch body is in the top 20 most Dangerous cars :(. If the front end gets fit damage can occur eaily causing easy right off's or death :S so i selected my fit. great on gas, fun to drive tons of space, and i still hove some money left over to change what i want :)

by the way honda is more reliable than mazda :S mazda is now runned by ford, Not that I have anything against ford but just reputation I guess.

I am picking my fit up on mon dec 31 from the dealer. im sure this will be an amazing first car for me :D

Quick Reply: Mazda3 versus the Fit?