Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2008 Porsche Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
2008 Porsche Cayenne

What do you guys (and gals) think about the new 2008 Porsche Cayanne.

There are only a handful of SUV's (Cute-Utes excluded) even offered with a manual anymore, none of which have any kind of performance power (well, the FJ is the highest). If you want a SUV with a manual tranny the only others that come to mind are the Nissan X-Terra, Toyota FJ and the Hummer H3. I would love to get an Acura MDX, but no manual!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-12-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
Sick!
I love Porsche Cayennes
I don't care what anyone says
the Cayenne S will leave most cars on the street :D

-Ricky

Old 09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
SUVs and cayennes aren't my interests, but they're nice i guess. i wanna test drive the v6 camry it's supposed to be pretty fast too

Old 09-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Retired Moderator
Very nice for a SUV!!! Im not much of a porsche guy though....Id go with a BMW X5 over that belive it or not.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Personally I am not a big fan of SUV's. Even more with SUV's that have a ton of hp. It's just extra "me too bling" trying to hide behind a thin shameless shade of being practical.

Sorry folks, as a former salesman here who sees through all the sales BS, and SUV's with that much power IMO are nothing more than BS. But whatever works, if it gets the manufacturers to sell more and make more money good for them, you are willing to pay the money, more power to you. Personally if I am going to buy a car that sucks gas, I'll buy a proper sports car, 2 doors, 2 seats, nothing more, not some blown sedan or SUV. But again thats just me.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't buy it. I'm still waiting for the niche market of hybrid rally car suvs like the old Toyota RSC concept. I think that would be the closest thing to an SUV i would buy. Although I am an owner of a jeep cherokee sport that I still love. I guess its close to what I am looking for so far, but an SUV with rally car agility and performance would rock.

Last edited by jits14; 09-12-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Wow, that is one cool looking concept car!! Unfortonatly I doubt that they will ever put it into production. Always teasing us!!

I used to own a Cherokee Sport too, 5spd of course :D I really wanted to get another SUV down the road to use in conjunction with my Fit. The Fit is a perfect city car, also for medium trips (one or two days) it is pretty nice.

But bottom line is I need a vehical that can tow and off-road, plus cruising on long road trips it is nice to have something a little bit bigger. I have never been a big fan of trucks other than as work vehicals.

So throw this criteria together and it dosn't leave many options. Cute-Utes tend to be too underpowered for towing and highways, plus the interior trim tends to be sub-par. full size SUV's generally don't offer manual transmissions anymore. The Porsche also is pretty reasonable priced (hmmm, this is an oxi-moron) compared to the other big players in this field.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
But bottom line is I need a vehical that can tow and off-road, plus cruising on long road trips it is nice to have something a little bit bigger. I have never been a big fan of trucks other than as work vehicals.
Then you are one of the few in Southern California that actually do need an SUV with a little more punch. More power to you on which ever you choose. :) My main gripe are the people that have big powerful SUV's and trucks but then dont use them for what they were designed to do. Its like the old guy or gal who buys a Ferrari only to have it sit in their garage to be driven to shows (at 45mph no less). Car was designed to be driven folks, DRIVE IT!

The only thing I will say if you decide on the Cayenne, think hard, with the Porsche badge comes Porsche maintenance prices. But if thats not an issue, then go for it. :D

Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, I wish I lived in Southern California! :D

haha, I live just East of the Rockies in Canada Man! Lots of snow, big mountains. Porsche advertises it as a capable off-road vehical complete with fording, approch and depart angles, so regardless of the brand whatever SUV I snag up in the future will be put through more than just gravel roads. That said... Porsche repair costs scare me!

To be honest I completly agree, people that don't actually need SUV's shouldn't buy them.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-13-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Have you considered the BMW X3 3.Osi? i think thats what its called.. They did a slight facelift recently and it looks pretty nice now! And you can get it in manual too! with a 3.0 liter N/a INLINE 6 motor that has 260hp!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
oh.. the reason why i know so much bout it is cause my mom has an 03' 330i :D

Old 09-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Hey thanks for picking that one up, I didn't realize the larger engine was availaible with a manual!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
yeah in the US at least the 2.5L is long gone! Bmw sure does get new engines fast..

Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
I heard the Cherokee SRT8 would spank the cayenne and the x5, and it costs thousands less. Though I'm not sure if it still holds true for the newer 08 models. The SRT8 also sounds sick.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I like the SRT8.... no manual tranny :(

Old 09-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
So I went down and took a brief look at both the BMW X3 3.0si and also the Porsche Cayenne. I have to say, my preference is the Porsche :cool: Considering the price difference is only about 5000$ between the two and also the reviews I have been reading about the surprisingly good off-road capability of the Porsche the BMW just dosn't stack up for my needs.

The downsides of course are the notoriously expensive BILLIONS of availaible Porsche options. The BMW has maybe 5000$ in options I would want... the Porsche has at least 10,000$ in options I would like to have. I guess the other obvious downsides are the maintainance costs, especially considering that I plan to use it to it's full utility capacity and not just getting groceries (That is what the Fit is for!).

If I had to make the choice today I am strung between the Porsche Cayanne and the Nissan X-Terra. On one hand I have been budgeting for something like the Porsche and it would seem like a major letdown if I went with something cheaper, on the other hand the money I would save could go into massive engine buildups, Lifts and Gigantic tires for the X-Terra... Luckily I don't have to choose for a full year yet :D Only day-dreaming for the moment.