Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The overpowered SRT4... all over again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
The overpowered SRT4... all over again.

It looks like Dodge has once again come out with a retardedly overpowered version of their econo-line. :( I hate being blown of the line by the outgoing SRT, being stomped by a Caliber is going to suck even worse. When is Honda going to come out with an R-Type verson of the econo-model to compete with these things?
Story Here:First Drive: 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - Previews - Car and Driver August 2007

Old 09-06-2007, 02:27 AM
The only way Honda can beat them at their game is to also use boost. A turbocharged K20 could do the job. The Caliber SRT-4 is ugly by the way.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:38 AM
i dont necessarily think that they need to use boost.. if they had made the L15 with a DOHC head and true i-VTEC, it would have been very feasible to pull 100 hp/liter out of that puppy and had a 150HP, light as hell Fit type R. That would have been fun. I dont think I'd need a fit with HP comparable to the SRT4, I'd probably crap my pants. I'd be very happy with a 150+ hp type-r option. I would have FOUND a way to afford that.

Would probably kill the dodge at autocross, too. With a stiffened suspension, independent rears....

ah, but I can dream, I guess..

HONDA WHERE ARE YOU?!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
honda wins because it'll probably sell more fits than they will sell these SRTs!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
I with you guys Honda FTW.... but, atleast it is not another neon haha

Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
If high performance was what I wanted, I would not have bought a Fit.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
"It looks like Dodge has once again come out with a retardedly overpowered version of their econo-line."

Did you seriously just make that comment? That is exactly what makes Honda what it is. Taking and econo-line vehicle..then putting a better suspension, motor, brakes, and reselling it as a performance model..ie Civic Si, and for the most part, this is what all car companies do with the exception of sport car models... Every car company takes their econo-line vehicle throws some parts on it and resells it as a sport model...

As for where are car companies to compete with cars like the Caliber SRT4...there are plenty. Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX STi, Mazdaspeed3, VW R32...are all models in that bracket. If you know nothing about Honda, its that overall they have never been about brute power. Its always been about agile handling, smooth shifting, and economical power. I mean look at the S2000...they could have put a V6 in it making 330hp but instead they put a 2.0l 4-cyl...because of the weight and high rpm power.

You guys should never have bought a Fit thinking it would be anything more than a econo box.

Last edited by 07TaffetaFit; 09-06-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 AM
It looks like a fat cow with hood scoops.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
"It looks like Dodge has once again come out with a retardedly overpowered version of their econo-line."

Did you seriously just make that comment? That is exactly what makes Honda what it is. Taking and econo-line vehicle..then putting a better suspension, motor, brakes, and reselling it as a performance model..ie Civic Si, and for the most part, this is what all car companies do with the exception of sport car models... Every car company takes their econo-line vehicle throws some parts on it and resells it as a sport model...

As for where are car companies to compete with cars like the Caliber SRT4...there are plenty. Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX STi, Mazdaspeed3, VW R32...are all models in that bracket. If you know nothing about Honda, its that overall they have never been about brute power. Its always been about agile handling, smooth shifting, and economical power. I mean look at the S2000...they could have put a V6 in it making 330hp but instead they put a 2.0l 4-cyl...because of the weight and high rpm power.

You guys should never have bought a Fit thinking it would be anything more than a econo box.
lol, I did say that :D haha, I when I think STI or EVO, even the mazdaspeed series, those cars are always a nice total package... Dodge just shoves a giant boosted engine in their bottom of the line cars and poof "SRT4". Hey, you can't fault them... those cars are fast as hell (In a straight line anyway). Just saying to make a Honda do that you need to boost it or swap it, would be nice if good ol' Honda decided to make a performance version of the Fit to provide a bit of stiff competition.

haha, try to compete with the price, all the cars you mentioned start at about 10K more!

Hey! I never bought my Fit thinking it would be just another econo-box! :eek:

The Caliber SRT-4 is ugly by the way
Yeah I agree, it looks a$$tastic :D

Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
If high performance was what I wanted, I would not have bought a Fit.
+1 Thats like saying I bought a Viper because it gets good mpg. /SLAP The whole more HP on econo cars makes no sense to me, if you want more hp, don't buy an econo box (sorry folks as cool and fun as the Fit is, its still an econo box, anyone that says otherwise is in denial hehe). Save your money, and when you got enough; buy a car with more hp. Dodge is just trying to move more cars, since they cant do it with design, they need what ever trick they can come up with, in this case, more hp. :)

Last edited by FITrunner; 09-06-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
this one will probably not last very long either.

ninja edit* Discontinued FTW!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Each to his own I guess. Money isn't exactly the issue for me, but I only have one parking spot :(. Personally I think Vipers make crappy daily drivers:D I bought my Fit because it fills a number of needs, but also occasionally has a place on the track. If they had a performance version of this car, I would have bought it without hesitation.

Anyway, this thread is getting way off my original point:p ...which was this new Dodge is retardely overpowered. Doing a quick power to weight ratio... the fit would need 217hp and 206ft/lbs to take this thing off the line.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
old news.. .. .... dodge is retarded

Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 PM
No wonder why Chrysler says if cafe standards are raised they will be put out of buisiness.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
News flash: The Fit is slow, and the Calibur is ugly.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by mog555
No wonder why Chrysler says if cafe standards are raised they will be put out of buisiness.
Werd

I get about 16/24 mpg on my SRT-4 on a good day.:mad:

When it's above 100*F outside or I'm romping on it, it can get as low as 12/20.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Dodge is doing a stellar job. At least they are catering to a crowd that wants power out of the box. For the price and car, you cant beat it. I test drove the Calibur before getting my Fit. I was REALLY impressed with it in all aspects of handling, gas mpg, performance, etc.. It was a HUGE step up from their Neon lineup. Just went with the Fit cuz i thought it looked better.

Its a perfect balance of practicality and performance. Spacious and peppy, no need to resort to a tiny coupe to get the sporty power. you cant really judge a car until you've actually driven one.

Dodge is actually doing something for their tuner crowd that is still reasonable in pricing. Unlike Honda and its $30k 197HP Civic.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
30k for the Si? Most get it for around 22 OTD.

Anything over 300 HP on a FWD platform is just stupid.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
30k for the Si? Most get it for around 22 OTD.

Anything over 300 HP on a FWD platform is just stupid.
i think he means the Mugen Civic Si. Its about $30k.

300+hP stupid on a FWD? you can say the same for RWD cuz both platforms will have issues.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, just imagine the torque steer on that thing :D

Quick Reply: The overpowered SRT4... all over again.