Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Future Honda Del Sol/CRX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Future Honda Del Sol/CRX?

I passed by a few modified Del Sols and a couple of Solstice GXPs and Sky Redlines, and thought "Honda should bring the Del Sol back". I'd love to see a RWD DS with 200hp, LSD, 6speed transmission, S2000-like handling (but with more torque, haha). I'd also think maybe the R20 from the Stream with the 7speed CVT with paddle shifters and about 160-165hp, both weighing at around 2300lbs. I think that's do-able, since Toyota was able to make an MR-Spyder with about 2200lbs to carry around. Any other thoughts?

I'd also like to see another CRX. Not like the hybrid rumors I keep hearing. But one focused on providing an enjoyable ride and fantastic handling. I'd add both of these to my garage in a heartbeat.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
isnt the s2000 sort of the del sol's replacement

Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the Del Sol was a Civic. Definitely not what the S2000 replaced.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Yeah I remember is being called the Honda Civic "Del Sol" as well.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
they will never bring back the del sol, they didn't really have a hit seller on them when they came out. People always say they are going to bring them back, but all i end up seeing is photoshops of del sols to look more modern.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:13 AM
^^^^^Think so, eh?

The original Del Sol, it was marketed as a Civic in the states, and a CRX elsewhere. The Del Sol wasn't a great seller for a number of reasons, number one being, the wrong wheels were being driven. And no, the Del Sol isn't even close to the S2000....

...that said, if you actually take a look at the vehicle, it's a fantastic inspiration for a RWD vehicle in the Miata/Solstice range. I'm not saying it's going to come back (hehe...), but hypothetically, a vehicle with the Miata's driving dynamics blended with the Sky or Solstice's looks could be a hit, regardless of the manufacturer that produced it.

Anyway, pessimistic views aside, any other ideas?

Last edited by jbrisson; 08-11-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, reminds me of my Honda dealer; "They are bringing the Prelude back!"

uh-huh, sure they are *rolls eyes*. The trend with Honda and Toyota is the same, mass produce vehicals that sell well. That leaves minivans, 4-door good miliage hatches and old man sedans. Toyota dosn't even have a performance car anymore (well, at least in Canada).

Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
haha, don't get me wrong. I think it would be cool if they decided to bring out a new or revived smaller sports car.

Honestly I am waiting for the day they bring out a no-nonsense affordable sports coupe... and no the Civic SI isn't even close to being that car. I am talking a 300hp-ish 2 door coupe with a killer suspension setup and an OFF button for all of the driver assist management crap. The Nissan 350Z is the closest car I can think to that mark, it sells like hot cakes too. I can't figure out why Honda won't go after that market with something other than an overpowered Accord.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, but if it were around 300hp, it probably wouldn't be affordable. Look at the price of a brand new S2000 at 240hp. I think it would be fine with about 215hp-220hp would work well. But it'd have to be significantly lighter than either Pontiac Solstice GXP or Saturn Sky Redline (which isn't hard to do, as both weigh an absolutely RIDICULOUS 2948lbs and 3071lbs, respectively for both with MTs) would really prove to be a much better and probably affordable option than trying to find something under $30K with the kinds of numbers you're looking for. Even at 220hp, it'd have a way better power-to-weight ratio than any other car in the segment, including the 350Z. But there's a lot of room to play up to 240hp (since the S2000 is still in production). And given the S2Ks handling dynamics, as well as the Civic Si's, and not to mention Honda's racing history and focus on circuit performance over drag performance, I think it could be a real contender given the right set of shoes.

I'd like to see what Mazdaspeed is doing for the MX5 and then base it off of that. But better looking. haha

Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jbrisson
^^^^^Think so, eh?

The original Del Sol, it was marketed as a Civic in the states, and a CRX elsewhere. The Del Sol wasn't a great seller for a number of reasons, number one being, the wrong wheels were being driven. And no, the Del Sol isn't even close to the S2000....

...that said, if you actually take a look at the vehicle, it's a fantastic inspiration for a RWD vehicle in the Miata/Solstice range. I'm not saying it's going to come back (hehe...), but hypothetically, a vehicle with the Miata's driving dynamics blended with the Sky or Solstice's looks could be a hit, regardless of the manufacturer that produced it.

Anyway, pessimistic views aside, any other ideas?

you just said what I said basically haha. it wasn't a great seller.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 AM
True. lol Still, I'd love to see these on the roads again.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah that is true, I think what I was getting at is it would be nice to see Honda put something out there to compete with the 350Z and other cars in that class (i.e. BMW M3/335i, Mazda RX8, Caddy CTS, ect) . I don't want to say anything bad about the S2K, but it seems to me (and I do realize this is totally subjective, so please don't rag on my opinion too much) it competes with a whole different class of vehicals all together (i.e. the Z4, Miata, SLK, ect). Personally I don't like convertables, I prefer the feeling of a coupe.
lol, who knows maybe I am totally out to lunch on this, but if I had to put my money down today, I would be looking elsewhere for a sports coupe.

Yeah, but if it were around 300hp, it probably wouldn't be affordable. Look at the price of a brand new S2000 at 240hp. I think it would be fine with about 215hp-220hp would work well. But it'd have to be significantly lighter than either Pontiac Solstice GXP or Saturn Sky Redline (which isn't hard to do, as both weigh an absolutely RIDICULOUS 2948lbs and 3071lbs, respectively for both with MTs) would really prove to be a much better and probably affordable option than trying to find something under $30K with the kinds of numbers you're looking for. Even at 220hp, it'd have a way better power-to-weight ratio than any other car in the segment, including the 350Z. But there's a lot of room to play up to 240hp (since the S2000 is still in production). And given the S2Ks handling dynamics, as well as the Civic Si's, and not to mention Honda's racing history and focus on circuit performance over drag performance, I think it could be a real contender given the right set of shoes.

I'd like to see what Mazdaspeed is doing for the MX5 and then base it off of that. But better looking. haha

Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
there was talk about honda releasing the CRX at the LA Motor Show with a hybrid engine. but i think the date was pushed back.

see here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/204176/honda_remixes_its_crx.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/29/la-auto-show-honda-re-re-remix-concept/

http://news.windingroad.com/category/auto-shows/tokyo-motor-show/

if they do release it... its not going to look anything like whats in the pics.....

Last edited by micchung; 08-13-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Nah...definitely (hopefully) won't look like what this month's Road and Track has....*shiver*

Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
I deff would love to see a beefed up modern del sol, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM
What about a paddle shifter automatic or CVT option? I think that'd be a good fit for a Del Sol type of vehicle. I heard Honda has the best CVT on the market, but they haven't brought it to the states yet. Maybe we'll see it in the future. It's a 7-"speed". I think the Fit Diesel comes with one on Japan, no?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
What about a paddle shifter automatic or CVT option? I think that'd be a good fit for a Del Sol type of vehicle. I heard Honda has the best CVT on the market, but they haven't brought it to the states yet. Maybe we'll see it in the future. It's a 7-"speed". I think the Fit Diesel comes with one on Japan, no?
well you're half right. NA is the only market they sell a regular automatic instead of a CVT. im not sure specifically which engines go with which markets, but anywhere else there is an auto, its a cvt...

Old 08-14-2007, 10:31 AM
How am I half right? You said the same thing I did. :p

The Civic 2.0S in the Asian markets still comes with an auto, linked to paddle shifters. The CVT went to the MMC Stream. I presume the next MMC for all Hondas will introduce CVTs across the board though.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
well, it souded like you were syaing cvt only came on diesels in japan, but anyways...i believe not all the cvt-equiped fits have paddle-shifters with virtual gears, so you may be 2/3 right lol

Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Rofl. haha. I love it :)

Quick Reply: Future Honda Del Sol/CRX?