Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Xb2? What To Do!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smatts
Haha this is getting heated! A friend of mine drives a first gen XB and I really like it. As for the new Scions I like the fact that you can get tons of TRD and aftermarket goodies for the 2007's right from the dealership. I wish Honda made some more performance parts to compete on that front. We should be able to buy HFP strut bars and braces, bigger wheels and ICE components :) Well I guess Honda isn't really going for the young adult demographic like Toyota is?

I mean wtf you can get TV's in the headrests right from scion!! :p
Eh. Its just a friendly conversation between two people with opposing view points is all.

As far as TRD's after market support, im going to counter my Toyota FTW argument lol.

TRD in the late 80's to mid 90's had a lot more available as far as performance parts then they do today (looking at a catalog of parts for a AW11 as apposed to what was available for ZZW30 is kinda of sad)

Old 08-05-2007, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
Heehee, the VW forums say the same thing about Hondas... :D snicker snicker
Buy -> drive -> junk yard ... what soul? :p
Originally Posted by watermelonman
I thought VWs went straight from dealer to junk yard.
lol, ouch! if you fix 'em 2-3 times a year, they'll last at least 7-8 years... :D

Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smatts
Haha this is getting heated! A friend of mine drives a first gen XB and I really like it. As for the new Scions I like the fact that you can get tons of TRD and aftermarket goodies for the 2007's right from the dealership. I wish Honda made some more performance parts to compete on that front. We should be able to buy HFP strut bars and braces, bigger wheels and ICE components :) Well I guess Honda isn't really going for the young adult demographic like Toyota is?

I mean wtf you can get TV's in the headrests right from scion!! :p
I think we're staying fairly civil here.

The really funny part about Toyota gunning for young adults with Scion is that the vast majority of them that I see are being driven by adults over 60. I think the bulk of the options and parts offered are a joke, and I would not be surprised if they do not sell particularly well. Despite Toyota's desires, people buy Scions because they are a good deal and run well, not because they are cool or customizable.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin
1. Last time i checked TRD was directly involved in the R&D of both there CORR trucks and that Nitro Powered Solara. Correct me if im wrong but those are still Toyota motors powering them
The point was that these are not Toyota-run programs, and that the company's motorsport interests are pretty low. I'm still chuckling at the notion of calling a RWD tube frame dragster a "Solara". It's just a shell used to make it look somewhat like a street car.

2. I was under the impression that Toyota was leaving F1 so i left it out...
I have recently read that it is their goal to make the podium some time next year and get a win within three. That's pretty modest, but decidedly not leaving the sport.

3. I'll give you the land Yacht, so you win that one. Toyota is supposedly working on a few new sports cars for 08 including a RWD 4cly car under 13k kind of like the AE86. But thats all hearsay until they go into production.
I'd probably buy one the day it came out. I don't have anything against Toyota, I just think that their current offerings are a joke for anyone interested in actually driving.

4. You missed my point, hell your so far to the right i think your shooting someone else target. My point behind the Camry/Corolla is that there is still a large community that supports and stands behind Toyota . I don't exactly see AP2's or anything F22c powered in F1
I could just as easily claim you're missing my point. I'm saying that installing a turbo doesn't turn a family cruiser into a sports car and using suitably ridiculous statement to illustrate it.

My idea of a car companies soul is the people that stand behind it.
So Toyota's soul is made up of a bunch of dorks sitting in a parking lot with lighting kits and disco balls in their Echo wagons, talking about their cars can keep up with an Elise? That's what I heard the last time I listened to a Toyota enthusiast.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
IMO i don't really like Scions too much, They dont have that "I want it" look :D

Old 09-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
The point was that these are not Toyota-run programs, and that the company's motorsport interests are pretty low. I'm still chuckling at the notion of calling a RWD tube frame dragster a "Solara". It's just a shell used to make it look somewhat like a street car.
touché

I could just as easily claim you're missing my point. I'm saying that installing a turbo doesn't turn a family cruiser into a sports car and using suitably ridiculous statement to illustrate it.
Im not saying it makes them sports cars, just kinda going with my soul of the company[/quote]

So Toyota's soul is made up of a bunch of dorks sitting in a parking lot with lighting kits and disco balls in their Echo wagons, talking about their cars can keep up with an Elise? That's what I heard the last time I listened to a Toyota enthusiast.
You Can't really use the ricers as the whats par for Toyota guys, Kinda like the most of the 240 owners you run into on the street, who have seen Tokyo Drift one to many times, do not represent the real Nissan crowd.

I'm not really trying to argue that the current line up "is not boring" believe me I am not completely blind. What im saying is Toyota owners are find ways to keep the spark alive until Toyota brings back something fun, which they are working on. Maybe i am holding on to sinking ship, but there are still plenty of Aw11 for me to destroy in the mean time.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Nice thread. I've gotta admit - even though this thread's deviated into the merits or lack of Toyota racing, I'm VERY impressed people aren't flaming each other as if we're all in our early teens. And this is a Honda forum, too!

Going back to the original topic, I'm in the same boat of trying to decide between a 2008 xB and a Fit. I've driven the Fit, and I really like it as it brought back great memories of my dad's '90 Civic. However, I've got 3 concerns which the xB feels like it's got covered:

1) Cargo-carrying. I regularly take kids to/from camps and retreats along with their gear - duffel/roller bags, backpacks, laundry, and guitars. While the Fit's got pretty good vertical space, I'm afraid of not being able to cart 3 kids with all their stuff up/down the Santa Cruz mountains.

2) Rear-seat comfort/stability. Sure, the rear seats can recline, but in no way are they laterally supportive. One of my friends drove 4 of us in his Fit to a wedding, and I got the back seat. It was a NIGHTMARE going from turn to turn. I can't imagine what taking road trips would be like, either.

3) Crash-worthiness. While the Fit's got the side curtains, the xB's rear passengers receive side curtains, height and more sheet metal. This came to mind today as I was crossing the Bay Bridge in my brother's Impreza; an SUV nearly side-swiped me when we were getting into the same lane. I can't imagine how that might have turned out if I was driving a Fit.

I'm sure you combine my first two concerns to create a fourth one; carrying cargo & 3 passengers comfortably. Is that even a possibility? Might be so in an xB.

Oh, BTW - I like both in terms of design. the new xB is a bit bulldog-ish/Cars-the-movie-like, but it's got that micro-Hummer appeal to it (although I think placement of the reverse light on the bumper was the stupidest thing conceived).