Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Winter Driving

Most of my life I have driven front wheel drive in the snow. While there are some that handle it well (Civic, Golf) there are others that do not (wifes former car PT Cruiser, piece of crap). Over the past couple of years I have become spoiled with the Elements instant on AWD. So now that we've been through a winter how is the Fit in the snow?

Old 03-17-2007, 08:18 AM
I put snow tires on my fit immediately after purchase last November, and dealt with a coupleof serious snow days. I never had a problem, as soon as I adjusted to the fact that this car is lighter than others that I've owned. That changes the feel of the car through snow - hard to describe, but you'll see what I mean when you do it.

The only other thing I'm careful about is the fact that this car gets pushed around a bit in high winds. If you encounter a combination of a major crosswind and slippery roads, then slow down.

No complaints otherwise - I was usually pulling away with confidence from most traffic when the snow was deepest.

JonasM

Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I went through the winter on the stock Dunlops, which I recommend against; I'll be putting on snow tires next year. That being said, it handled well enough in the one emergency avoidance situation I encountered.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Quebec winter + Honda Fit = I miss my CR-V...
Shure it's not in the same league but my 2004
Civic was way better in the snow than the Fit.
I have winter tires in the stock size (Toyo Garrit
KX) but I think it's because the car is so light...
or my tires are not so good ??? who knows... I
aggree, the Vic and Golf ARE great in the snow
but the Fit is just OK.

Summer is comming anyway...

Philippe

Old 03-17-2007, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by frogpond1
Most of my life I have driven front wheel drive in the snow. While there are some that handle it well (Civic, Golf) there are others that do not (wifes former car PT Cruiser, piece of crap). Over the past couple of years I have become spoiled with the Elements instant on AWD. So now that we've been through a winter how is the Fit in the snow?
The limited ice and snow around here has not been enough for me to bite the bullet and buy winter tires.

I did have to take the car over the plateu to Knoxville for an appointment for a large construction kick-off (the other contacts from Nashville finked out and were teleconferenced due to weather!) and the car was fine in the slush, ice and snow, but better tires would be a plus.

Remember, the Fit is 2500+ pounds and is not all that light of a car (same kerb weight as a 1959 Studebaker Lark VI!) and is comprable to previous Civics et al in kerb weight.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Living in NW PA with a longer commute to work. So far, I've had no problems in my Fit. My other car is an Element, which the husband drives now as his commute is only 5 minutes. I LOVE my Element, but we switched out to save me some mpg. Of course, the Fit isn't the Element--that's a tank--but so far, so good with the Fit.

I know people complain about the wind blowing the Fit around, but having driven the El for the past two years, you don't know what wind blown is until you drive a box around in it :)

Old 03-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Fliggie; I'll agree with you on the wind blowing the E around quite a bit. Sometimes I think the wind is worse than the snow and ice with the E. Too bad my wife can't drive the E, we would keep the E for her and get the Fit for myself.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 PM
After going through a Toronto winter, I've never had a problem driving my Fit through the snow. My Fit came with Bridgestone Turanza tires as stock, and they performed pretty well in my opinion. :)

Old 04-03-2007, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
I have an extra set of wheels and Seimpert Winter Sport winter tires for my maxima and it is awesome in the snow. Tires are the key!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
We got stuck in 5" of fresh snow our first winter in Alberta Canada. We now have 4 winter tires (Blizzaks) on 14x6 steel rims from a Geo Storm and have no traction problems. Now if the car would warm up in less than half an hour at -25C (0 deg F), I'd be happy.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
You will be fine with some blizzaks