Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Trailer hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Check out Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

they show hitches for the Fit.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned
Thumbs up "Skid Plate"

This black "hump" between the rear wheels has been incorrectly called a "skid plate" in quite a few discussions in the past. The 2007 Honda Fit Service Manual identifies this part as a LIFTING PAD for use with a floor jack. There is another such pad between the front wheels.

In one of the previous discussions about this part, the moderator actually replied to a post by saying "oh, please don't try to lift your car by using this skid plate". By using the lift pads with a floor jack, it is easy to place jack stands under the lift points near the wheels that are otherwise used for jacking up the car to change a tire on the road. Jack stands, or ramps, or a hydraulic lift in a repair shop, are the only safe ways to lift and support the car if you are working underneath the vehicle.

So, in choosing a trailer hitch, I picked the one from etrailer.com with the highest weight capacity that mounted under, and still retained, the LIFTING PAD.

It's just a coincidence that this pad will prevent damage to the rear floor if you drive over an obstacle or high crown in the road.

Dave

Old 04-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Fit trailer hitch (great for bikes)

I just bought and installed a Reese hitch in under 15 minutes on a sport.

No drilling - easy for even an old man.

Plus it looks great.

Cost $80 plus shipping.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
I just installed the Hidden Hitch that I bought from Etrailer. It is very easy to install and still retains the skid plate. Here's how to do it:
1. Remove the three 13mm bolts holding the skid plate on and remove the skid plate.
2. Hang the U-shaped bolt through the tow hook.

3. Since I didn't have a helper handy, I propped the forward edge of the hitch up on 2 4x4s and used a jack to prop up the other end so I could line up the the U bolt with the receiving holes for it on the hitch.

4. Put the washers and nuts on the U bolt loosely and then line up the forward part of the hitch with the holes on the car body that the skid plate was attached to.
5. Then just use the supplied bolts to reattch the skidplate and hitch at the same time. Torque all the bolts down and you're done.

That's it. Great product, perfect "fit", easy install. I'll post another pic when I get my bike rack installed.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned
Very Nice DIY-
You make me feel guilty for not writing up my Hidden Hitch installation!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Very Nice DIY-
You make me feel guilty for not writing up my Hidden Hitch installation!
Don't feel guilty. Judging by the number of posts you have, I bet you've helped way more people with other issues than I have or ever will. It's all good!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Bike Rack

Has anyone had any luck with a bike rack? I just got my 2007 Fit Sport and want to have a bike rack installed. I've never had a bike rack before, but I want to have a multifunctional rack for my bike and my kayak (which is too long for the fit haha). Thanks

Old 06-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by polyphonics
Has anyone had any luck with a bike rack? I just got my 2007 Fit Sport and want to have a bike rack installed. I've never had a bike rack before, but I want to have a multifunctional rack for my bike and my kayak (which is too long for the fit haha). Thanks
Use the "search" button, but also take a look here:

RackandRoll trailer and carrier rack for Kayaks, Canoes, Bikes and Outdoor Gear - Home

Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Humm...the RackandRoll is nice, but I was thinking of more of a rack instead of a tralier.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Last summer there was a post from someone who had a Thule rack, the kind where you remove the front wheel and attach the fork to a skewer on the rack. They had the rack frame laying in the back of the fit with the second row folded down facing toward the rear. They had pictures posted and said the bike was very stable in there, and protected from the elements and theft. I've seen other threads with pictures of Thule racks mounted on the roof. Do search of the forums for "Thule".

Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by HaulSmall
Last summer there was a post from someone who had a Thule rack, the kind where you remove the front wheel and attach the fork to a skewer on the rack. They had the rack frame laying in the back of the fit with the second row folded down facing toward the rear. They had pictures posted and said the bike was very stable in there, and protected from the elements and theft. I've seen other threads with pictures of Thule racks mounted on the roof. Do search of the forums for "Thule".
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ighlight=Thule

Yes, that is pretty cool. I'd rather have a roof rack, though. That way it can ALWAYS be used, regardless of the number of passangers.
Thanks, HaulSmall.
-Polyphonics

Old 06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Yakima roof rack on my other car. Once I sell it, I will buy the clips that fit the Fit (!) and move the rack to the Fit. Check out Yakima and you will see that their regular roof rack works on the Fit and can be used to carry bikes, kayaks, storage, etc. It may cut your mileage a bit, but in my opinion it's the only way to go.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
For hitch information click this 2007*Honda*Fit*hitch search *by etrailer.com (800)298-8924 . As for the Fit, the owners manual states on page 164 "Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties.".
I assumed as much. Most cars with small engines (e.g. our '05 VW New Beetle and out ;03 Prius) have this disclaimer. I would be afraid to even intstal a hitch on a Fit or similar car before the warrantry ran out. I can jsut see a dealer refusing to honor a warranty repair on the engine or drivetrain after they see that I have a hitch installed. Granted, you could just use the hitch to attach a bike carrier or cargo carrier, but these is no way to prove the you never used the vehicle to pull a big trailer (or another vehicle! ).

Old 06-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bluemoon
I assumed as much. Most cars with small engines (e.g. our '05 VW New Beetle and out ;03 Prius) have this disclaimer. I would be afraid to even intstal a hitch on a Fit or similar car before the warrantry ran out. I can jsut see a dealer refusing to honor a warranty repair on the engine or drivetrain after they see that I have a hitch installed. Granted, you could just use the hitch to attach a bike carrier or cargo carrier, but these is no way to prove the you never used the vehicle to pull a big trailer (or another vehicle! ).
Warranty repairs cannot be denied unless the dealer can prove that your warranty problem was caused by your modification.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bluemoon
I spoke to my dealer before I went ahead and picked up the same hidden hitch. They said for putting on a bike rack there is no problems at all.. the service manager mentioned that if the transmission did go and the mechanic saw the hitch it would be the first thing he would question for sure, but consider this.. if you are putting a trailer on for bike racks/carriers you do not need to install the wiring for trailer lights. If you have no wiring you have not pulled a trailer essentially, also, if you were to do something like pull a trailer without lights and killed the transmission, to remove the hitch is 5 bolts and about 5 minutes. Just do that before you take it to the dealer for repair.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by YeeFit
I spoke to my dealer before I went ahead and picked up the same hidden hitch. They said for putting on a bike rack there is no problems at all.. the service manager mentioned that if the transmission did go and the mechanic saw the hitch it would be the first thing he would question for sure, but consider this.. if you are putting a trailer on for bike racks/carriers you do not need to install the wiring for trailer lights. If you have no wiring you have not pulled a trailer essentially, also, if you were to do something like pull a trailer without lights and killed the transmission, to remove the hitch is 5 bolts and about 5 minutes. Just do that before you take it to the dealer for repair.
Sounds like you've thought this through! You could just leave the hitch, remove the wiring harness, and innocently say "...I just use it to carry my kid's bike!"

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I have no reason to take my car to the dealer. As George once said, "yeah, like I'm going to take my car to the dealer. I might as well just flush my money down the toilet."

Last edited by ninesixfour; 06-12-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
WRT to the tow hitch mounted bike racks, I bought an adapter from Yakima that allows the rack I use on my 4Runner (2") to be used on the smaller Fit hitch. It was $26 and kept me from buying another $200 rack. After having bike racks for years on various vehicles, I now prefer the hitch mounted ones. Your bikes don't get covered in bugs, your mileage doesn't suffer as much, my wife who's only 5'4" can easily put the bikes on the rack, and there's no chance of pulling into the garage with bikes on top of the car. If you really want to spend the big bucks you can get one that swings out of the way when you want to open the rear hatch but I don't mind lowering the rack arm to allow access.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Just found a new website for hitches. Its Hidden Hitch, Reese, Putnam, and Da'lan Trailer Hitches Online at Discount Prices.

They have just the curt one for the fit, but it is priced at $75 and comes with a ball. Just ordered one for my fit to tow a small boat

Old 07-03-2007, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
what about these hitches from Uhaul? 99 bucks and free shipping U-Haul moving supplies: Your shopping cart

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch?