Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Hello. My name is Dave and I am a flashaholic.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Wafulz
yea i seen that its nice but pretty big : / do u got link on the 8000
Here you go--- there are many eBay sellers who carry this, but I paid a little extra for this one for the four batteries and two chargers.

Skyray 8000 Lumen 6X CREE XM L T6 LED Flashlight Torch 40W Light 4 18650 Charger | eBay

Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
For regular use I've been buying disposable Garrity flashlights for several years now. They are inexpensive, have a really bright light and last a long time.
 Here is the LED version I buy now. Here is the LED version I buy now.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned
Great that those make you happy. I would not use a light that can be counted on to die at the moment when I need it the most, and can't be fixed with a fresh battery. No disrespect meant, but not "flashaholic-worthy".

Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 PM
You carry bulbs too?

Point is, these are economical and last a long time..great for general use. I have several in the house and in the car. If ones dies, I get the other one out, what's the difference between that and carrying around back up batteries?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Banned
LED's don't burn out. You and I just have different tastes and different purposes.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Dave: You're right, sort of... LED bulbs should last a looooong time 25,000 hours plus, so that probably isn't an issue, but the other thing I should have mentioned was switch contacts and they don't seem to hold up as well, especially in cheaper lights. I've run into this on ultra bright LED bike lights that failed after less than a year due to cheap Chinese switch materials. So, there is always something.. the Garrity brand light I mentioned was one that I find excellent for general purpose use around the house, in the car, etc. at a very reasonable price and I have never had one fail. There are a lot of much better quality lights, LED and other, for a lot more money that one can buy and it sounds like you are having fun collecting the best of them.
All the best,

Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by doane2u
Dave: You're right, sort of... LED bulbs should last a looooong time 25,000 hours plus, so that probably isn't an issue, but the other thing I should have mentioned was switch contacts and they don't seem to hold up as well, especially in cheaper lights. I've run into this on ultra bright LED bike lights that failed after less than a year due to cheap Chinese switch materials. So, there is always something.. the Garrity brand light I mentioned was one that I find excellent for general purpose use around the house, in the car, etc. at a very reasonable price and I have never had one fail. There are a lot of much better quality lights, LED and other, for a lot more money that one can buy and it sounds like you are having fun collecting the best of them.
All the best,
I collect lights that are also weapons (tactical flashlights). I have to see what's going on in 1-1/2 acres of mountain property, and keep my dogs safe at night from mountain lions, raccoons, opossums, cats and skunks, as well as keeping those animals safe from my wolf hybrid dogs.

In spite of my efforts to prevent it, my dogs mauled a cat and a young skunk to death, and have been sprayed three times by other skunks. The dogs are just doing their jobs of protecting their territory, and the wild animals are just trying to stay alive.

The dogs are getting old enough to be less of a threat, but if they corner anything, they still work together as a tag team. Aside from that issue, we have four feral cats that depend on us for food but can't come into the house because of the dogs. Eventually, they will replace the dogs as house pets. But, then they need to be protected at night from the local mountain lions that can clear my 6 ft. fences with ease.

As I said, different tastes and different purposes. I try never to buy anything that is disposable and is expected to be thrown away after a short working life.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Banned
Just wanted to pass along a warning about some things that I recently learned from one eBay purchase. The warning is: DO NOT BUY anything from Chinese sellers on eBay.

The eBay/Pay Pal "Buyers Protection Guarantee" is absolutely worthless- no protection at all.

Bought a super high power light and waited three weeks for it to show up. Instead of the one light that I ordered, they sent two completely different lights that were garbage quality. I contacted the seller who said "We know that we shipped what you ordered because our supplier says so" or words to that effect. I asked for permission to return for refund, but the seller insisted that I send photos to prove my case.

I shot a dozen photos, and emailed the "Direct links for email" from my Image Shack account, and the seller said that they could not open the links. Tried to send the links again using Microsoft Outlook, and got "Message undeliverable to this address".

So I opened a dispute through Pay Pal, and escalated that in a phone call to a "Claim Case". The next day Pay Pal says "We have decided this claim in your favor. Ship the package to the seller at "this address" (which was different than the one the seller gave to me) and provide a "Tracking Number".

So, brought the package to my USPS just to be told that I could only get a real tracking number by sending it two ways. One way cost $66.00, and the other way using USPS combined with FedEX would cost $98.00. All this to get a $112.00 refund.

Sent it by International First Class at a cost of $29.70, and sent the USPS Customs Declaration number to Pay Pal, but probably won't get the refund because I don't actually have a tracking number. I thanked Pay Pal for their "help", and told them that their "Protection" program was as fraudulent as the eBay seller in this case.

So here is some practical info. for anyone who finds an eBay ad for a flashlight that they might want to buy. Many of the Chinese-made items advertised on eBay are also available, at a slightly higher price (a few bucks) from Amazon.com. Amazon has already imported the items, and has made sure that they can actually ship exactly what they picture in their ads. If they screw up, it won't cost $98.00 by mail to get it back to Amazon, and it won't take three weeks to get it from Amazon in the first place.

So, this was an irritating and fairly expensive lesson. And I am sure that it will entertain some forums members, so enjoy yourselves. It is certainly a mistake that I won't repeat.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
ohh no dave : / sry about that

Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Banned
ohh no dave : / sry about that
Hey Jerry, no big deal. Some life lessons come a little harder than others. What the hell. Not enough money to get upset over- I just dropped a grand on a new computer from Costco (yay- tax refunds are great).. The high power 6000 lumen light that you were interested in actually arrived at my P.O. today- it just was not sorted and put in my box this morning. I ordered that one on 2/28. I will let you know in a PM if the flashlight is worth the price I paid. No obligation on your part.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned
I was going to post the following:
Optronics NightBlaster 500,000 cp.Rechargeable Spotlight 12-volt & 110-volt chargers . Optronics Flashlights.
and ask if you ever heard of it,
then i did some research, and found that lumen and candlepower ain't the same.

so, I guess you know of 500 000 c.p., but which do you prefer?
it sounds like c.p. would be better at blinding someone.(addit: not that anyone is trying to do that....)

is this counter-intuitive?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
plz let me know how it is

Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Banned
ok, did more reading, found the following:
lumen = total light from flashlight (light source)
candle power = intensity (blinding power) of light at any one spot.

500 lumen spread evenly over large area =
less candle power than 500 lumen spread over small area.

but you can have varying intensity in a spot light. I've seen a spot of light with brightish light around edges, super bright ring closer to center, and almost black in the middle. (intensity to high intensity to nearly no intensity.)

as for what i read about the poor quality lights further up in thread, it may be due to how the light is marketed, focused, spread, dark spots (which would be a good thing...)

yes, i think bright light is neat-o too.
high beams eek! (addit: oops, just reread this, sorry triskelion, wasn't pointing at your misfortune, actually my heart sank when i read your story.)

Last edited by Gra-fit-e; 03-25-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gra-fit-e

but you can have varying intensity in a spot light. I've seen a spot of light with brightish light around edges, super bright ring closer to center, and almost black in the middle. (intensity to high intensity to nearly no intensity.)

as for what i read about the poor quality lights further up in thread, it may be due to how the light is marketed, focused, spread, dark spots (which would be a good thing...)

high beams eek! (addit: oops, just reread this, sorry triskelion, wasn't pointing at your misfortune, actually my heart sank when i read your story.)
The 6000 lumen light that I will pick up today is about equal to 500 cp (1cp = 12.75 lmn). But they are different types of light. The 6000 lumen light mentioned here is about 1/2 the size of your linked spotlight. More info. below.

It is my full intention to blind someone as an alternative to shooting him through the head. Elsewhere on the forums in a very old post I described how the driver of a lifted truck with three banks of illegally bright lights blinded me from behind in my GD3 Fit and ran me off a mountain road into a canyon. The Fit was totaled and I spent two months healing from broken bones. The same truck & driver caused the total loss of three more cars in this area with the same tactics, and was never caught.

I had my .45 Colt in my hand, locked & cocked, and thought very carefully about killing the other driver (as I sat in my stopped car on the side of the road with him tapping the rear bumper with his truck), but decided instead to outrun him on a road that I drive every day. Didn't work- he passed me on the right and forced my Fit right off the opposite side of the two lane road.

Next time, after all else fails, I will either just stay stationary, either with a gun at the ready or not depending on how the trip started out, and if similar circumstances are repeated, I will point an 8000 lumen light backward over my shoulder and fry his eyeballs. If that doesn't work, well, no one lives forever.

I have a one million cp spotlight, but it weighs 5 pounds and is too big to carry in the Fit.

Candlepower Vs. Lumens | eHow.com

Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
DAve lets go find his ass

Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gra-fit-e

That's OK- thanks for the input. I have learned from other lights I have purchased that any flashlight, regardless of claimed output, works much better if the lens and reflector can be focused. An 1800 unfocus-able light is much less effective than a 1600 lumen one that can be "zoomed". Right, Wafulz? ( I just sent him one). The 8000 lumen light that I am waiting for has a reflector/lens that is permanently focused for distance (throw, not spill), and the claim is a 1,000 yard range.

You never know what kind of situation you will experience when drug use motivates an attacker, but I don't intend to go out this life without a fight.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Banned
DAve lets go find his ass
Thanks Wafulz. In the last four years, the CHP and local Sheriffs have tried, but no luck. I want to be prepared for another round just in case.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Just wanted to pass along a warning about some things that I recently learned from one eBay purchase. The warning is: DO NOT BUY anything from Chinese sellers on eBay.

The eBay/Pay Pal "Buyers Protection Guarantee" is absolutely worthless- no protection at all.

Bought a super high power light and waited three weeks for it to show up. Instead of the one light that I ordered, they sent two completely different lights that were garbage quality. I contacted the seller who said "We know that we shipped what you ordered because our supplier says so" or words to that effect. I asked for permission to return for refund, but the seller insisted that I send photos to prove my case.

I shot a dozen photos, and emailed the "Direct links for email" from my Image Shack account, and the seller said that they could not open the links. Tried to send the links again using Microsoft Outlook, and got "Message undeliverable to this address".

So I opened a dispute through Pay Pal, and escalated that in a phone call to a "Claim Case". The next day Pay Pal says "We have decided this claim in your favor. Ship the package to the seller at "this address" (which was different than the one the seller gave to me) and provide a "Tracking Number".

So, brought the package to my USPS just to be told that I could only get a real tracking number by sending it two ways. One way cost $66.00, and the other way using USPS combined with FedEX would cost $98.00. All this to get a $112.00 refund.

Sent it by International First Class at a cost of $29.70, and sent the USPS Customs Declaration number to Pay Pal, but probably won't get the refund because I don't actually have a tracking number. I thanked Pay Pal for their "help", and told them that their "Protection" program was as fraudulent as the eBay seller in this case.

So here is some practical info. for anyone who finds an eBay ad for a flashlight that they might want to buy. Many of the Chinese-made items advertised on eBay are also available, at a slightly higher price (a few bucks) from Amazon.com. Amazon has already imported the items, and has made sure that they can actually ship exactly what they picture in their ads. If they screw up, it won't cost $98.00 by mail to get it back to Amazon, and it won't take three weeks to get it from Amazon in the first place.

So, this was an irritating and fairly expensive lesson. And I am sure that it will entertain some forums members, so enjoy yourselves. It is certainly a mistake that I won't repeat.
^^^^^^^^
Addendum to the above description of eBay/Pay Pal "protection" bullshit. There is a chance that I will still get the refund. If I had given Pay Pal a real tracking number, they would have instantly refunded the purchase price. But as it is, they sent the Customs Declaration number to the seller, and seller promised the refund once the package is received. So as long as the package isn't stolen by a China Post employee, the refund may still show up in a few weeks.

Won't hold my breath though.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned
Holy shit! This episode gets more weird by the week.

In my P. O. Box today was a larger package from the eBay vendor who shipped the wrong items last week. The box was big enough and heavy enough to be the 8000 lumen light that I had actually ordered. The package last week was obviously meant for someone else (as was proven by the label addressed to someone in IL on the other side of the box that arrived last week).

So, whatta I do? Write "refused- return to sender" and give it to the P. O. people? Can't do that because now there is scan info. that proves that the last package was delivered. I decided to open the box, and wow!! what a nice light cannon. The handle slips right down into the driver's door pocket and acts as its own hanging bracket, so no need for special mounts for the light. This is one third the weight, 1/4 the length, and more light power than the huge 1300 lumen, 500 yard range light that I have been carrying.

I will send an email to the PayPal dispute department and tell them the recent developments, and ask for a refund of the $30.00 I spent to send the first package back to the vendor, but will probably have to write that off to "lesson learned". "Don't buy from China".

But there is yet another problem that might benefit any Fitfreak who lives or drives in the country and would like to have a truly powerful, yet small sized flashlight in his/her car.

Knowing that I got the wrong crap from the first eBay purchase and had sent that package back for refund, I ordered the very SAME item from another Chinese eBay vendor and it is now in transit. Will be here next week. I don't need TWO of these bad boys. Anyone interested- PM me. Will give you a real DEAL and will give away four type 18650 rechargeable Li-Ion batteries for the light, as well as two battery chargers that hold two batteries each.

Now to understand my devotion to acquiring this flashlight, the back story is that I have ordered it three times before now from advertisers who claimed to have it in stock, kept my payment, and after weeks of non-shipment offered junk as a substitute. I knew that this light design would work perfectly in a Fit, and provide a huge amount of light with rechargeable batteries. I even bought a DC powered 4-battery recharger for the 18650 Li-Ion cells in case I needed to recharge on a long trip.

If no one is interested, fine, I will just offer the deal on eBay and give away the batteries and chargers. Here is an ad for this light- it is the exact light that is in transit to me now from China:

Skyray 8000 Lumen 6X CREE XM L T6 LED 4X 18650 Flashlight Torch 40W Lamp Light | eBay

Manufacturing quality is REALLY good!

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-28-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned
Well, this was a good day. I sold the extra 8000 lumen flashlight, that is still in transit, to an exceptionally smart Canadian fitfreak. He will receive a very nicely made, very powerful flashlight. Congrats!

Quick Reply: Hello. My name is Dave and I am a flashaholic.