Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

DiamondStarMonsters: sam's cult of personality series

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
DiamondStarMonsters: sam's cult of personality series

what the hell is going on in here

Last edited by sam; 06-29-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: NOTE: posting move may change inflection/direction of original author but is probably close to original intent
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member

/Doesn't sound like you've done much "learning" or even basic research at this point

Last edited by sam; 06-29-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Note: to be taken as moving forward from Theos92vr4's posting
Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
ya know, not to get hostile. but some of the comments in here are the reason people are hesitant to post things on this forum. He is here to get research. If he had acquired it somewhere else, he wouldn't be asking on the forums. No point in making someone feel like shit about a question. of course you are free to post whatever you want. I just don't think there is any need to make someone feel like an idiot for posting something. come on guys, weve all been there, just cut someone a break every once in a while. I know a lot of you guys have tons of knowledge about this stuff. So why not offer some advice?

Last edited by sam; 06-29-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Note: other comments existed that may have been moved, removed.. but certainly diminished in quantity
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzhands68
ya know, not to get hostile. but some of the comments in here are the reason people are hesitant to post things on this forum. He is here to get research. If he had acquired it somewhere else, he wouldn't be asking on the forums. No point in making someone feel like shit about a question. of course you are free to post whatever you want. I just don't think there is any need to make someone feel like an idiot for posting something. come on guys, weve all been there, just cut someone a break every once in a while. I know a lot of you guys have tons of knowledge about this stuff. So why not offer some advice?
TL;DR

You'll get over it.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
I read on another thread that the second gen Fit has a L15A7 engine wich is a real VTEC engine.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
TL;DR

You'll get over it.
Im sure I will. BTW ive seen some of your other posts and you are very knowledgeable about all this stuff. I hope one day to know what you know. I just dont want anyone to be apprehensive about posting for fear of persecution.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by jazzhands68
I agree with you, but it wont happen here. Too many elitists on this site.

Questions have to involve some sort of custom forced induction build, in order to get a quality response.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
I became apprehensive about posting or updating my old threads as it started to become obvious that with some exception ofcourse, everyone here wants to be spoon fed.

That and the amount of members who think putting an ebay intake pipe, some heavy oversized rims and a fart can on the car makes them an automotive engineer.

So except for the people who commission me for consulting/building and some friends accumulated on here I don't really get into the technical end of things because its not absorbed.

Every Joe schmo here thinks that because they are entitled to an opinion or have the right to post or copy/paste (which they do) that their often misinformed belief or lack of understanding is as good and as valid as someones hard data and experience.

This isn't just a forum problem, it seems to be an American problem unfortunately.

Look at the octane and oil threads if you want an example.

I, and others, just get sick of dealing with basic fuel/oil theory with people who have not even USED a different grade of fuel to compare to one another (let alone having elementary level experience with gasoline powerplants only) don't understand that a term like octane is but one metric used to rate a fuel, have no form of data streaming/logging at hand, no oil analyses ever performed, no teardown time no experience reading bearings and plugs but still have the gall to argue with someone who does.

So when it comes to a thread about something as old as SOHC VTEC/i-VTEC being a bit of mystery, is it a surprise when some people come off as a bit jaded.

A little derision and peer pressure does have a place because that embarrasment can or at least used to provide some incentive to do some actual research to gain some understanding next time one opens their pie hole.

Now, in the day of everyone wins participation prizes where pressure and criticism is less common, it just seems to engender this idea that your ignorance and fervor is just as good as my education experience and facts. Old and young alike seem to have this problem.

It's like the dipshit in traffic that cuts across three lanes while picking their nose and talking on their iPhone giving the person who honks at them the finger instead of that little "I'm sorry I fucked up wave" that used to be so common.

Own it, learn and remember. Don't let confirmation bias and ego get the best of you.

Please note: That entire post wasn't necessarily directed at you jazzhands you have been quite reasoned and civil honestly.. its more of my frustration with what should be a proactive community that has tons of potential but is so seemingly resistant to realizing and embracing it.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM
thank you diamonstarmonsters. that is all unfortunately very true. I just dont want to hinder those who do want to learn due to negativity. Unfortunately there is no way to divide the crowd. Very well said. And i do hope to work with you sometime soon as i will be tearing into my little fit. i suppose i could get back to work now (considering thats where i am) but thank you for letting me rant for a little while.

Last edited by jazzhands68; 06-26-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333
I agree with you, but it wont happen here. Too many elitists on this site.

Questions have to involve some sort of custom forced induction build, in order to get a quality response.
You're a clever guy Schoat, you know that is not the case.

Does everything really have to be re-hashed and awarded with attention and the same responses?

Most forums of this size have actual Modmins that merge threads on the same topics, encourage searching and grammar, and generally steer people towards being self sufficient except where something new has been provided or uncovered.

Thats most of the reason we have these issues and why the search tool is such a cumbersome piece of crap. But it will yield the answers you are looking for.

Every time I log in I spend about half an hour searching and reading for what I need. If I don't find it here I head to Google or the eFSM.

That and the population of a forum taking a bit of responsibility for their understanding is what makes for a good forum, whether its computers, basket-weaving or cars that brought the people together in the first place.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
It's like the dipshit in traffic that cuts across three lanes while picking their nose and talking on their iPhone giving the person who honks at them the finger instead of that little "I'm sorry I fucked up wave" that used to be so common.
I'm having a hard time figuring out which one you are...

Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Not that anyone asked for it but here is my .02

I don't post much but rather sit back and listen for the most part.

I've been around cars for the past 35 years or so and owned many fast V8 and other types of cars but the Fit is new for me and I've learned alot here.

I notice the same people respond to most new members that ask simple questions with the same shitty attitude like clock work.

There are people who join but are hesitant to post a ? because of this.

Telling someone to try the search button or talking down to them does nothing but bring down this forum.

I don't think any of you have designed or built a car that is on the market and even if you have ,

so what who cares just relax and stop being such know it all's and try to help others that may not know as much as you.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Ding Ding Ding

some exception of course, everyone here wants to be spoon fed.
Ditto How do I.... What is... Owners manual covers most of these! But only if you read it...

That and the amount of members who think putting an ebay intake pipe, some heavy oversized rims and a fart can on the car makes them an automotive engineer.
So true!

Every Joe schmo here thinks that because they are entitled to an opinion or have the right to post or copy/paste (which they do) that their often misinformed belief or lack of understanding is as good and as valid as someones hard data and experience.

This isn't just a forum problem, it seems to be an American problem unfortunately.
Granted most members here love their cars and love to talk about cars in general, there is a difference between passion and righteousness. Somehow that distinction gets lost in translation somewhere... Then the tsunami of name-calling comes rushing in... quite entertaining... SOMEtimes... ANNOYing... most of the time...

Look at the octane and oil threads if you want an example.
Ohhhh nooooo, let's not go there...

Own it, learn and remember. Don't let confirmation bias and ego get the best of you.
Well said Sensei!

Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 PM
You're a clever guy Schoat, you know that is not the case.

Does everything really have to be re-hashed and awarded with attention and the same responses?

Most forums of this size have actual Modmins that merge threads on the same topics, encourage searching and grammar, and generally steer people towards being self sufficient except where something new has been provided or uncovered.

Thats most of the reason we have these issues and why the search tool is such a cumbersome piece of crap. But it will yield the answers you are looking for.

Every time I log in I spend about half an hour searching and reading for what I need. If I don't find it here I head to Google or the eFSM.

That and the population of a forum taking a bit of responsibility for their understanding is what makes for a good forum, whether its computers, basket-weaving or cars that brought the people together in the first place.
Unfortunately, as sarcastic as I meant my post to be, I have come across a few of those instances.

One thing to remember is people learn differently. Some of us can read information from articles, and get it. Others may need to have things explained to them in more detail, AKA "spoon fed".

I don't usually have the patience to spoon feed, but some do, so I leave it to them.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
this is DSM scaring and making FFreaks cry...

DSM... stop it already!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
this is DSM scaring and making FFreaks cry...
Got one of Catwoman, Electra or Wonderwoman?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
You will find out if you stay on this site long enough, that there are an exraordinarily high number of total smart mouth a-holes on this forum.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Got one of Catwoman, Electra or Wonderwoman?
Someone PM me that one when y'all find it. lol

Originally Posted by flygirl
You will find out if you stay on this site long enough, that there are an exraordinarily high number of total smart mouth a-holes on this forum.
It's a certain trait most of us have acquired at some point or another. Comes in very handy. Especially when dealing with idiots.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 PM
The problem is that a whole lot of the posters here have no life, and the only way they have of trying to make themselves feel important is to be a smart ass on here.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by flygirl
The problem is that a whole lot of the posters here have no life, and the only way they have of trying to make themselves feel important is to be a smart ass on here.

Quick Reply: DiamondStarMonsters: sam's cult of personality series