Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Greetings from....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Greetings from... Oregon! The Oregon Trails rest area. Halfway up from Baker City to North Powder.

I was planning on posting last night from a rest area further along, but i started dozing off in my drive much quicker than i thought I would. So i pulled off at the next rest area and prepped my "room." I got my tablet out to post, but totally forgot and promptly fell asleep.

Its pretty chilly out here, good thing I bought a cold weather sleeping bag at Target on my way out of SLC. I also restocked on Pepsi, but I think i shouldn't have added the whole 24 pack to the cooler. Its pretty heavy now, which makes it harder to move around, especially when i have to take it out to dump the water from the melted ice. Also got some sandwich meats (all ham actually) and a loaf of bread, but it'll only last me two days... need more meats. But it'll go bad really fast if I'm not quick on restocking the ice for my cooler.

Originally Posted by Subie
Watch your right foot in Oregon. Lots of bush patrols lurking there!
So, the question is, how strict are they? Like I've said before, I tend to stick to 5 MPH over the current speed limit. In Idaho, I saw plenty of cops, and because other drivers were matching the speed limit, I varied my speed between matching any my usual 5 over.

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I'm tickled at Goobers for just up and taking off like he did... I get a good laugh from his post... I like to travel alone myself because I don't follow schedules well but make an sincere effort to and having someone else along just screws everything all up.... Two Vietnam veteran buddies of mine went to race in the Barstow to Vegas off road race and got so irritated they beat the shit out of each other and were to messed up to work when they finally got home..
I've been told something similar, and I definitely understand it. Its similar to the idea of sharing an apartment. Both of you tend to take more liberties because you know each other, but at the same time get more annoyed because you expect each other to be more understanding.

But man, it is LONELY!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
One of the cool things about being on a motorcycle when travelling is that there is always someone that comes up to talk to you and ask questions... Some of them are real characters with tales of trips they had taken on old Harleys and BMWs... An old guy at a truck stop in North Carolina comes to mind. He must have owned the biggest imagination of anyone on earth because there is no way that he owned a 1950s Pan Head Harley that weighed 1000 pounds and would run 150 MPH.... I still can't get over you getting on a track and spinning your car being that far away from home... I think that is pretty cool.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Oh yeah, that was pretty hairy. Oddly enough, I wasn't scared of the spin itself, though I was pretty clueless in handling it. I was more terrified of someone hitting me. But I guess I happen to be going slow enough to be in a gap between other drivers.

I need to learn to brake into these turns... you could hear the tires screeching and me fighting to just stay on the track, and not understeer my way into the dirt. And then failing miseribly.

But it was ohhhhhh so much fun.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Greetings from... Oregon! The Oregon Trails rest area. Halfway up from Baker City to North Powder.

So, the question is, how strict are they? Like I've said before, I tend to stick to 5 MPH over the current speed limit. In Idaho, I saw plenty of cops, and because other drivers were matching the speed limit, I varied my speed between matching any my usual 5 over.
Hey Goobers! Track time? Maaannnn I'm jealous. Maybe all that junk food in the back caused your spin outs

How strict are they? I was never stopped to find out. I used to go up and down I-5 a lot from WA to CA and those bush patrols would be parked in the medians on downhills and on the on-ramps as you go through overpasses. Just keep your eyes peeled, which makes it harder at night - all you see are headlights. Hopefully you won't see any blue lights on your rear view mirror. Then it'll be too late.

Be safe bud!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
goobers, i havent developed my pics yet (yes i shoot with a SLR 35mm) the girl taking the pics said she's pretty sure she got one of you and i will post it here in the next few days, it was cool meeting you and seeing the mods you've done to your fit, sorry i wasn't a better host, but running on two hours of sleep and being at the track a half day was taxing on me. drive safe and take your time cause drousy driving is more dangerous than you know!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
Greetings from... a crappy ass motel 6 room (in Seattle).

Seriously, everything feels damp. The floor, the bed cover, hell the bed sheets themselves.
Its driving me nuts!! Then add to that, there's no mini fridge... heck, that RV place I stayed at in SLC had a mini fridge AND they had a microwave in the room. I had even bought canned ravoli to nuke, only to find bupkis.

Originally Posted by Subie
Hey Goobers! Track time? Maaannnn I'm jealous. Maybe all that junk food in the back caused your spin outs

How strict are they? I was never stopped to find out. I used to go up and down I-5 a lot from WA to CA and those bush patrols would be parked in the medians on downhills and on the on-ramps as you go through overpasses. Just keep your eyes peeled, which makes it harder at night - all you see are headlights. Hopefully you won't see any blue lights on your rear view mirror. Then it'll be too late.

Be safe bud!
Oh, I saw plenty of them waiting around. So far, with sticking to 5 over, cops flat out seem to ignore me.

Originally Posted by vtecfit1
goobers, i havent developed my pics yet (yes i shoot with a SLR 35mm) the girl taking the pics said she's pretty sure she got one of you and i will post it here in the next few days, it was cool meeting you and seeing the mods you've done to your fit, sorry i wasn't a better host, but running on two hours of sleep and being at the track a half day was taxing on me. drive safe and take your time cause drousy driving is more dangerous than you know!
Its all cool man, the fact we got a chance to hang out is cool (track time was icing!). But yeah, fighting the drowsiness is a pain. But I can't seem to sleep long enough when i sleep in the car.

Oh, before i doze off.. I shall regale you all with my great adventure... in other words, the shit I did today.

I took the 84 up and switched over to the 82, and took that until i got to the city of roof racks, I kid. Of course, its Yakima. Then rode the 12 until it hit the 410 a second time. Took the 410 for a while until I got back onto the 12. Eventually I hopped onto Paradise Rd, and took that all the way out of the park. That took about four hours, from Yakima till I got out. And I'll tell ya... it was awesome. Turns, turns, more turns, up and down the mountain!

I would say I was canyon carving, but I wasn't going that fast, so I keep wanting to say I was "Canyon Scratching."

Old 07-19-2011, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Greetings from... a crappy ass motel 6 room (in Seattle).

Seriously, everything feels damp. The floor, the bed cover, hell the bed sheets themselves.
Its driving me nuts!! Then add to that, there's no mini fridge... heck, that RV place I stayed at in SLC had a mini fridge AND they had a microwave in the room. I had even bought canned ravoli to nuke, only to find bupkis.
That's Seattle weather for you, always overcast if not raining. You only get one week of sunshine there and most times not in a row.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I need to get out of here before I miss the checkout time. Found ou what else they're missing.... shampoo in the washroom. So, another day without shampoo (I know, should've brought my own).

Alrighty, time to see what I can do today, and where I'll be by tonight.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, I'm at the Smokey Point rest area, just north of Seattle.

I was wrong about where the motel 6 was. It wasn't Seattle, but Seatac.

Trying to figure out what to do. I feel kinda lost right now... my seventh day on the road, and I haven't quite gotten to Vancouver yet. If I think about, it looks like I'm pretty quick. But I keep feeling like I'm "behind schedule." And that makes me want to turn around and just start heading for San Diego, skipping Vancouver. But at the same time, I'm sure plenty of people will think this: "You're just right there, it doesn't make sense to skip it NOW." On the flip side, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get past Seattle (southbound) by nightfall, if I do go into Canada. I'd like to be far, far away once I head out of an area.

*sigh* I guess I have no choice but to suck it up and deal with any "delay."

Incidentally, what happens if you forget to return your room key card? No, not for the motel 6. But for the place in SLC. I realize that I still had the card on the way to the track and forgot to try to drop it off after lunch. And lunch was just a few blocks away too. I had already gotten on the 215 (after going west and then flipping back on the 80, thought I needed head west, but gps told me to head east to the 215) by the time I remembered. I hope they don't charge me extra, or anything.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
You can chalk the card key up as a souvenir! Sounding like a terrific trip - track spin out and all, you're a lucky guy. Careful of the' "You're right there... " syndrome. you might never come back LOL

So how many miles have you logged in a week of cross country???

Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Greetings from... that other french country. I'm walking around Vancouver now, gonna try out some Hong Kong style food later.

I kinda like it here. Atmosphere wise anyway. But it is a sort hop to canyon scratching Mt Rainier!

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
You can chalk the card key up as a souvenir! Sounding like a terrific trip - track spin out and all, you're a lucky guy. Careful of the' "You're right there... " syndrome. you might never come back LOL

So how many miles have you logged in a week of cross country???
Oh, I've already detoured a few times to see something i hadn't planned.

I've logged a bit over 3000 miles so far. I might make to San Diego before the MM complains about an oil change!!

Alrighty, next post will have to be from the US side, getting roaming charges!!! Ouch.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Greetings from... that other french country. I'm walking around Vancouver now, gonna try out some Hong Kong style food later.

I kinda like it here. Atmosphere wise anyway. But it is a sort hop to canyon scratching Mt Rainier!
Go to the hanging bridge, can't remember the name. Oh and don't wear your Flyers or Black Hawk jersey there. That's Canuck country.

Safe trip!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
Greetings from... a rest area in Bow, WA.

Well, back on US "soil." I was still on roaming for some 30 miles from the border.

I was right, about not getting far by nightfall. In fact, its already pitch black and I still haven't gotten back to Seattle. I had wanted to drive up and down hwy 99, to see the scenic byway, but ended up being an out of towner in downtown, Vancouver.

So, i walked in a snake pattern around for about two and a half hours. Then went to eat at some Chinese place. My friend told me a lot of the good chefs left Hong Kong and went to Vancouver... and suggested I find a place to try. Of course, only just before eating did I remember a very important detail... I'm no good with food. I just eat about anything that doesn't make want to hurl.

In crossing the border, the custom officials didn't sound convinced that I'm doing this road trip and that I had no intention of visiting Vancouver more than a few hours. I wouldn't mind visiting for more than a few hours, in fact, prefer a couple days, at least... but only if I had company. So many things, better off done with some company. And I think the hanging bridge might be one of them. In fact, I didn't even take that many pictures, just a couple of scenic ones across the bay.

I was going to say I bought my only piece of souvienir, but remembered that I kept the green band from the track. In any case, I bought a little wolf, dressed as a constable (Canadian police). So now, I now have a travelling companion... albeit, an inanimate one. And if I should ever believe it is talking to me, i think, it'd be time to head home.

Can you tell? The loneliness is getting to me. Need to meet people, friends, family, fellow forum members... anything!!! I think I lost my headset, so i can't even use that phone. Not there's anyone I can really talk to for more than a few minutes.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
I feel you on driving all alone. It does suck...its always better when you're with someone else...Hope you make it to SD safe and sound though. I'll treat you to chic-fil-a

Old 07-20-2011, 04:10 AM
GodSpeed Goobers!

Very interesting thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Well goobz, seems like yur trekking rite-along big guy...is this a race, deadline or something? Appears yur going to rapidly ta' take in the scenery, nostalgia and ambiance of the trip...'Been nice if you could have sent a pic or two while crossing each stateline, even a cell phone pic wud wurk in this instance. Maybe even a pic of you sleepin' while drivin'
Driv safe....

Old 07-20-2011, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
Greetings from... a rest area south of Olympia, WA.

I was so determined to get past Seattle on the way down, that I decided only to sleep at the first rest area after Seattle. Oh, that nearly became a nasty mistake. The moment I hit Seattle, I got really drowsy. To the point where I drifted onto the shoulder toward the barrier. I opened my eyes just in time to watch myself go over an uneven utility cover (it wasn't level with the road). That woke me up! Had to drive all the way past the exit to the 101 to find a rest area.

The problem now is, I wanted to take the 101

Vinnymac, I had originally wanted to do that, but the Illinois/Iowa line came up so fast, that by the time I realized where it was, it was too late for me to safely pull over. So i said, f-it.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by vinnymac
Well goobz, seems like yur trekking rite-along big guy...is this a race, deadline or something? Appears yur going to rapidly ta' take in the scenery, nostalgia and ambiance of the trip...'Been nice if you could have sent a pic or two while crossing each stateline, even a cell phone pic wud wurk in this instance. Maybe even a pic of you sleepin' while drivin'
Driv safe....
I was thinking of that photo series you had a while back, you sitting in front of the Fit in strange and different places. Cross country solo is a test of endurance. It can get to you but then you remember you're not alone - you've got a few freaks on board! And don't be afraid to talk to little wolf - I hear the Canadian constables are very understanding. If the dang thing answers, then head home LOL

Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
I got really drowsy. To the point where I drifted onto the shoulder toward the barrier. I opened my eyes just in time to watch myself go over an uneven utility cover (it wasn't level with the road). That woke me up! Had to drive all the way past the exit to the 101 to find a rest area.
Gotta take those breaks Goobs. At least you didn't do a 360 like I did one time. Opened my eyes and was startled to see grass (I drifted into the center median). Overcompensated and did a 360. Good thing no one was behind me. This was about 2AM long time ago - events you just don't forget easily.

So you should be around Portland by your next break then. Made it through the twisties of Shasta huh? Be safe!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Still at the rest area, woke up about an hour ago and taking my sweet time to fully wake up.

Hum, don't know what to do.... take the most direct route via I5 or the more scenic 101? If i take I5, I can get to San Diego by Saturday (assuming i take some time to see anything along the way). If i go via 101, then who knows. Its not an interstate, so i assume the speeds will be generally slower. Another worry is that I won't have any rest areas to sleep at... then again, maybe sleeping at a motel might be better, then I get a more rested sleep (with a more refreshing shower). Decisions, decisions.

These guys parked next to me are starting to bug me. Why do people insist on parking next to me, when there's so many other spots?

Quick Reply: Greetings from....