Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

An Inconvenient Truth…about JDM - AKA The Death of Innovation

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I'm going to go ahead and say it. I hope to God, Krishna, Mithras, Thor, FSM, The Wyrd whoever is up there, that they never ever ever make an FI kit for the GE. Most of these guys don't deserve it. Nobody who's contacted me about going turbo seems to have any ability to put in the research time. Is really that hard to sit down and read some articles BEFORE you start asking questions. I'm just really disgusted lately with the community. The last thing I want is people riding around in boosted fits who still don't understand even the most basic principles. Too many of these people only care about the end result and have no passion for the work, the research, the theraputic joy of turning a wrench. It's almost as if they only have pride in what they own not what they've built. The sad thing is that i know it's just a mater of time.

Im still debating on if I will give away my tune if somebody asks for it (besides a few people) Part of me wants to support the community and part of me wants to give up on them.

DSM I'm truly amazed by your unexhaustable well of patience for people. I just don't have it.
I am fortunate that I was able to have had the KWSC kit available to me or I would not have a boosted Fit.... To have done what you did in the amount of time you did it in was amazing and I was hanging loose waiting for the results of your first drive in the early minutes of the New Year.... My days of wrenching are pretty much over. Medication to lower my cholesterol has screwed up my memory so badly I find myself looking for tools that I am holding in my hand so figuring out how to even reset my oil change minder requires finding my always misplaced owners manual... My knees and back are blown, I have hearing aids and have to go in for another test for glaucoma tomorrow... I could go on but the heart attacks and the cancer thing doesn't affect wrenching... I am going to have to start paying to have my car washed because I just can't do it anymore but so far no body except my 14 year old 240 lb neighbor on occasion and myself have turned wrenches on my car... I bought a new van in 1997 because doctors were predicting I would be in a wheelchair soon but that hasn't happened yet but I need a stick to get around on bad days. Some of us just can't pull off what you have done...

Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I am fortunate that I was able to have had the KWSC kit available to me or I would not have a boosted Fit.... To have done what you did in the amount of time you did it in was amazing and I was hanging loose waiting for the results of your first drive in the early minutes of the New Year.... My days of wrenching are pretty much over. Medication to lower my cholesterol has screwed up my memory so badly I find myself looking for tools that I am holding in my hand so figuring out how to even reset my oil change minder requires finding my always misplaced owners manual... My knees and back are blown, I have hearing aids and have to go in for another test for glaucoma tomorrow... I could go on but the heart attacks and the cancer thing doesn't affect wrenching... I am going to have to start paying to have my car washed because I just can't do it anymore but so far no body except my 14 year old 240 lb neighbor on occasion and myself have turned wrenches on my car... I bought a new van in 1997 because doctors were predicting I would be in a wheelchair soon but that hasn't happened yet but I need a stick to get around on bad days. Some of us just can't pull off what you have done...

Texas you don't count towards this. You have a passion for automobiles that's so apparent anybody could see it. I know it's gotta be tough for you. I'm just glad you can have a car you can enjoy and bring back memories of better days. If you were my neighbor we'd have a couple drinks and I'd turn the wrench for you.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 02-16-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Look, a few bad apples are going to be in every batch. To say that one is giving up on a whole community based on a few people, and I don't think it's otherwise - it really is just a few people, then it's a blanket statement. Of course you get some guy who turbos his car and curious young street racers, and people who live in a dream world are going to act on a whim and start emailing that person without regards to their time or contribution. The internet has little accountability to it, so basically, you will gets leeches in every area of its existence (and life in general for that matter) if you don't watch out for yourself. If this place is all about turboing the Fit, then yeah, I guess it has a serious lack.

Secondly: as for these JDM companies not being able to be innovators - it's not that they can't. It's that they won't; because what's the point if a month later there is a copy? They won't be able to file any patents around anything, and I can see very well and clear how the JDM aftermarket could shrink enormously because of this coupled to a struggling economic condition. The article is right on.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
I have a set of 16 X7" 38mm offset A-Tech JDM wheels... Great wheels I got a fair price on that look really great even if they were made in Thailand... I can't understand how anyone can truly believe that people would buy something as costly as top of the wheels and suspensions if there wasn't lesser priced items that cost less and serve their needs... Don't forget that the Fit is the lowest priced car sold in this and many other countries and we are just a small percentage of dedicated enthusiast, and Freaks at that, that own them... The majority of the guys here are only concerned with cosmetics or having pricey stuff for status and the guys that are into going fast buy what will get them whatever works best to accomplish what they want.... When I had my Bicycle shops new innovative parts were coming out annually with very much promotion in magazines read by cyclist for months leading up to them being unavailable to retailers and huge orders were necessary to get a break on the wholesale cost... Before you could move them out the door the same process was repeated and you had to drop prices to move the previous product because everyone wanted the latest innovative product before it was even available.... How many times is the term, played out, applied to parts or wheels even though they were highly sought out and the rage not long before.... Some people just refuse to get caught up in that kind of thing and these are some reasons not many things are being made for Fits....

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 03-02-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
I want to make sure you guys understand I dont support knock-off companies except for my 'spoon style' short antenna from t1r, and I dont feel that they are a knock-off company. I think everyone understands the problem of the innovative companies being seriously hurt by this. What we need to tell people that buy knockoff is not that theyre idiots, but that theyre buying inferior products that will weaken the industry overall and are often inferior products w/ fitment issues, bad colors, etc. That they are getting a bad deal even though its $40 cheaper right now. People wont stop buying inferior products if they understand the difference between real and fake. Fix the problem by educating people, not just by berating them and making them feel inferior.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hobbaswaggle
I want to make sure you guys understand I dont support knock-off companies except for my 'spoon style' short antenna from t1r, and I dont feel that they are a knock-off company. I think everyone understands the problem of the innovative companies being seriously hurt by this. What we need to tell people that buy knockoff is not that theyre idiots, but that theyre buying inferior products that will weaken the industry overall and are often inferior products w/ fitment issues, bad colors, etc. That they are getting a bad deal even though its $40 cheaper right now. People wont stop buying inferior products if they understand the difference between real and fake. Fix the problem by educating people, not just by berating them and making them feel inferior.

Most of the time in the US people don't want to be educated.. That usually involves research and things like books, which requires effort or worse, reading.

We all deserve equal rights and the freedom from discrimination of course, but to pretend we are all equal in every manner across the board is stupid.

So instead we wind up with the lowest common denominator. As left leaning as I am, sometimes you need to look past ideals and examine reality.

People won't stop buying fakes regardless of what they are taught, most people are fixated on price and then worry about functionality or form. THis is evident throughout the forum.

If I need to hire someone for a moving service, I am not going to be looking for quadriplegics just because I get a discount or tax incentive.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-16-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Don't give me too much credit, I am trying to be more patient though, but there was a span of about three or four weeks where school, work, the woman, and my dad being sick made me a little on edge.

But I hear ya on that Lyon, things like BOV's and rims? Not so tough to develop nor distribute.

Wastegates though... knockoffs of things like TiAl's which do take a LOT of R&D to do right, really grind my gears.

So do people who own turbos and haven't the faintest freaking clue how they work yet yammer on and on and on about them.

Hey brah what stage is your turbo? I'm running like... 5psi on a ... whatchu callit, 50 trim!

When someone starts talking about turbo trim or stages or boost and they don't tell you what make, family, housings or wheels we are discussing I want to stab them in the face.

This is why I reference air flow or inducer/exducer sizes. No ambiguity there.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Don't give me too much credit, I am trying to be more patient though, but there was a span of about three or four weeks where school, work, the woman, and my dad being sick made me a little on edge.

But I hear ya on that Lyon, things like BOV's and rims? Not so tough to develop nor distribute.

Wastegates though... knockoffs of things like TiAl's which do take a LOT of R&D to do right, really grind my gears.

So do people who own turbos and haven't the faintest freaking clue how they work yet yammer on and on and on about them.

Hey brah what stage is your turbo? I'm running like... 5psi on a ... whatchu callit, 50 trim!

When someone starts talking about turbo trim or stages or boost and they don't tell you what make, family, housings or wheels we are discussing I want to stab them in the face.

This is why I reference air flow or inducer/exducer sizes. No ambiguity there.
I'd did get a pm from DSC that seems to be reasonably thought out. Judging from his parts list I have a feeling he's been speaking with you Only thing I don't get is that his fit is on a lease...

Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'd did get a pm from DSC that seems to be reasonably thought out. Judging from his parts list I have a feeling he's been speaking with you Only thing I don't get is that his fit is on a lease...
Hahaha.. funny you should mention that.

We did exchange a few PMs about a week or two back, haven't heard from the guy in a while though. To his credit he did have a pretty good idea of what he was looking for to start with...

Maybe he's been busy

As far as the lease... well it is entirely up to him if that is the case.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad I already got my ARC stuff.

I blame knock-off parts for this.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say it. I hope to God, Krishna, Mithras, Thor, FSM, The Wyrd whoever is up there, that they never ever ever make an FI kit for the GE. Most of these guys don't deserve it. Nobody who's contacted me about going turbo seems to have any ability to put in the research time. Is really that hard to sit down and read some articles BEFORE you start asking questions. I'm just really disgusted lately with the community. The last thing I want is people riding around in boosted fits who still don't understand even the most basic principles. Too many of these people only care about the end result and have no passion for the work, the research, the theraputic joy of turning a wrench. It's almost as if they only have pride in what they own not what they've built. The sad thing is that i know it's just a mater of time.

Im still debating on if I will give away my tune if somebody asks for it (besides a few people) Part of me wants to support the community and part of me wants to give up on them.

DSM I'm truly amazed by your unexhaustable well of patience for people. I just don't have it.

And well if everyone was as cool as TC I'd say hell yeah make
a kit for the GE.
I agree 100%. In my opinion, if you don't WANT to put in the work. You don't WANT the results. You just want to have the next cool thing. That being said, not everyone knows how to build a turbo. But that's not really the point. If you really want to, you can figure it out. That's what the internet/library/mechanics are for lol long live enthusiasts!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
some people like spinach... some don't. what you think is best for you does not work best for others. I give props to folks who are humbled on acknowleding what their capabilities and limitations are. And to speak in general, while not all are comfortable with a wrench... some are at home with it.

Who are we to decide who is worthy and who is not? Just sayin...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
I kind of agree with johnsshipp on this one... anyone can be comfortable turning a wrench, its really pretty easy especially if you have a shop manual.

Like he said, if you really want to know.. you'll figure it out. We don't need more JDM home boi's asking people "how much psi can your motor take broseph?"

"What stage is your turbo, dawg?"

Old 03-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
some people like spinach... some don't. what you think is best for you does not work best for others. I give props to folks who are humbled on acknowleding what their capabilities and limitations are. And to speak in general, while not all are comfortable with a wrench... some are at home with it.

Who are we to decide who is worthy and who is not? Just sayin...
Yeah, I hear ya lol that's not exactly what I was saying though. I mean, I'm 17, so I don't know crap compared to 90% of the people on this forum. I was referring more to the yahoo answers ebay chip crowd. People who don't have any interest in how the "tuned" parts they want work. They just want to see dyno charts and shiny metal in their engine bays. But to each his own I suppose. Like you said, I can't say who's worthy. It's just my 2 cents

Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 AM
^^ sadly enough... those type of people does exist and I cant blame them for their belief. Let's just hope they begin to realize as they move along and get down into the fact of the matter. Some people will learn evidently.

Anyway, there are things that you can get away with cheap doesn't mater which area you work on in cars but there are those things that need quality reliable parts and quality reliable parts does not constitute of how much zeros you see on the $... DSM raised the point and is spot on when he mentioned the junkyard... love those pick-n-pull yards

Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Those are the best, we live near a pull-a-part. It was the only thing that kept my heavily abused '95 accord alive for the year that I had it. (my brother is rough on cars) haha

Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM
dropping like flies... sad...

Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Wow. That says a lot in one short letter. I'm not HK$'s biggest fan, but I am an occasional customer and that is a scary announcement for the US aftermarket scene as a whole.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
HKS is just doing what they have to do to keep from going under... The market here is just screwed up because of the devaluation of the Dollar and Exxon posted the highest quarterly earnings since the big screwing they were giving us in 2008... Unfortunately it's the U.S. that is going down the tubes and HKS isn't going along for the ride.

Quick Reply: An Inconvenient Truth…about JDM - AKA The Death of Innovation