Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Rock + Windshield = Repair Bill

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Rock + Windshield = Repair Bill

Let me start by saying I was in our Nissan Cube, not the Fit.

So, Wednesday my wife and I decided to go to the Lake Elsinore Outlets because they have like 5 stores for baby stuff and that's what we spend all our money on nowadays. Anyway, I like to consider myself a defensive driver, I never follow too close and I always avoid big trucks specifically because they through dirt and debris at your car. Now we're coming home and we're at the 15/91 interchange, the one place I have to get behind the big trucks and WACK a huge rock hits the top of the windshield lined up right with my head. If it had been a bullet I would have been dead. It put a huge pit in the windshield and within a few minutes it spidered to the top and started to make it's way towards the passenger side.

I called my insurance guy and he refereed me to their windshield place, but I haven't called them yet. Does anyone know if this can be repaired with those suction cups and resin or does the how thing need to be replaced?

This is the last thing we wanted to spend 400+ dollars on but such is life. The funny thing is if we had taken the Fit like we planned the rock would have sailed right over and hit the car behind us.

I'll post some photos once I get a chance.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
It will have to be replaced. They can only repair small chips with resin and suction. You should only have to pay deductible.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
if the crack is longer than 6", it will have to be replaced. Yeah...the 15 blows. I have a crack in mine and my wife in hers...we live in elsinore

Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
that really sucks, but i agree with the others. it has to be replaced.

if it was something that could have been repaired they might have just waived the deductible (i just had a chip repaired on my fit, the bill ended up being $60 which I didn't have to pay) but if it spread like that the windshield would be unrepairable.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Don't waste your time with insurance... Just go to window place and get a quote. I got a quote for my subaru and they gave me about 290$ for the windshield