Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Official Book/Literature Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
Smile Official Book/Literature Thread!

We have tons of threads about video games, television, and a whole bunch of other things, but how can we forget about books (and magazines, newspapers, etc)!!! I haven't read any good books in a while, and I might as well make a thread where we can all share our love (and need) to read. So if you have anything to say, go for it!

While I am here, I would recommend "Watchmen." It is a graphic novel (a comic book, basically), so it is a little different, but it is a really good read (for those who have an inner-nerd). But beware, for it is an explicit novel(blood, language, sexuality).

Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned
if you're into graphic novels...."Maus" by Art Spiegelman is dang good. about the holocaust but a cool take on it...

i recommend these as my favorite books though:
The Great Gatsby
A Farewell to Arms
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Sun Also Rises
The Old Man and the Sea....I love all of these books....Yeah i like hemingway lol

Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
"Watchmen"

Originally Posted by C-Fit

While I am here, I would recommend "Watchmen." It is a graphic novel (a comic book, basically), so it is a little different, but it is a really good read (for those who have an inner-nerd). But beware, for it is an explicit novel(blood, language, sexuality).
Almost finished with it... Loved it. Had to read it after seeing the movie and I'm surprised how closely they followed the story line in the book.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
I'm more of an Asian lit kind of reader. Here's my short list of good reads:

Haruki Murakami - "South of the Border, West of the Sun"
Murakami's best novel yet IMO, this is a tale of star-crossed separated childhood sweethearts who meet again in middle age.

Arthur Golden - "Memoirs of a Geisha" (owned mine since 1999)
The book is very well written - I never bothered watching the movie. Very well-researched too, great if you're heavily into Japanese culture. It feels like you're in Kyoto yourself.

Liam Hearn - "Tales of the Otori #1: Across the Nightingale Floor"
This is an action-packed pseudo-Japanese fantasy tale - think of an imaginary ninja James Bond.

Wally Lamb - "She's Come Undone"
Really sad tale, but cathartic in the end. You think you're having a crappy day? Read this.

Takeshi Kitano - "Boy"
The actor/director behind "Takeshi's Castle" and "Zatoichi" makes his English-language debut with a collection of 3 short stories about boyhood.

Bill Dare - "Natural Selection"
A hilarious dose of British humor about a guy using Darwin's famous theory to try figuring out why his girlfriend loves him despite much better, "more suitable" guys out there.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
i'm curious to find out if there are any car related (not interested in inidial d) novels that are worth reading? admittedly, i don't read much but i do want to start; all my reading comes from internet articles =/

Old 04-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Twilight anyone? Well, Ive read a couple cause i decided to jump on the band wagon like everyone else.

But i do have a couple of books that i have read, that i enjoy reading over and over... for example, anything by Alice Seabold and David Pelzer.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm reading whatever is on my Kindle. Right now I'm pretty deep into the Jack Reacher series.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
well im more into reading and movie watching and when novels or books turned into movies.. i tend to read and watch both...

Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for sharing thoughts...lol