Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Help me pass my driver's license test!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
Smile Help me pass my driver's license test!

Ok everyone, the time we have all been waiting for; my driver's license test. Now that I am sixteen and have had my restricted (learners) license for nearly 12 months now, I will have to take a driving test (and a written one as well I guess) so that I can finally start driving on my own. My test will be at the end of April on an undisclosed date to keep you all on the edge of your seats. Now, what I need from you guys, especially those from Florida (and other places as well, but I live in Florida so it is most relevant to me), to inform me of what I should learn, practice, and prepare for. This is a big thing for me (I'm the car guy of school, and I don't even drive yet) and I have around a month to practice. Thank you!

AHHH!!! 555 post!! lol

Last edited by Chawee; 03-31-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by C-Fit
Ok everyone, the time we have all been waiting for; my driver's license test. Now that I am sixteen and have had my restricted (learners) license for nearly 12 months now, I will have to take a driving test (and a written one as well I guess) so that I can finally start driving on my own. My test will be at the end of April on an undisclosed date to keep you all on the edge of your seats. Now, what I need from you guys, especially those from Florida (and other places as well, but I live in Florida so it is most relevant to me), to inform me of what I should learn, practice, and prepare for. This is a big thing for me (I'm the car guy of school, and I don't even drive yet) and I have around a month to practice. Thank you!
I will say this, never relinquish your right of way during the driven portion of your test. That will be instant fail.

For instance if you are going to make a right, make a right and don't left someone across turn left first. You have the right of way and should take it.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 PM
good luck is all that i can say.. everything else depends on you now...

Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
dude i got my license in florida. if you had taken the driver's ed in highschool and completed it all you would need to do is take like a 20 question test and they will give you a pink slip to take to the dmv... and then they basically give you a driver's license..

haha i never even took a drivers license test.... ever!

florida is awesome

Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Well my school is small, so there is no drivers ed class. So any more help?? What about parking? I know nobody needs parallel parking, so they don't test it, but what other kinds of parking maneuvers do I need to practice? Quick stop too, maybe?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
3 point turn. go under the speed limit. don't cross any lines. In VA I couldn't pull out in front of anyone it they were less than 7 seconds away. stop at yellows. "proper" hand placement, I think it's 4 and 8 oclock now, bc of the airbags. 3 second stops. use turn signals for everything; like backing out of a parking spot.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Retired Moderator
Just go over the top with the carefulness.
I passed first try without any problems. Just drive normal, not TOO slow or anything. Just extra extra carefulness. When you merge especially, make sure you keep your blinker on untill all 4 wheels are in the lane(had a friend who failed from that), look over the shoulder, and of course use your mirrors.
Its retarded how strict they are.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned
x2 exactly that also don't get nervous, i let my dad drive on the way there and just a read an issue of SCC made it so easy, my mind was clear when i took the test and i only got 1 point, 25 are allowed...

Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah.
Not being nervous plays a huge part in your performance.
I was nervous as shit, still managed to drive ok, i could have done better though heh.

Just pretend your driving with your parent, or your friend. Be friendly to the instructor person, make them like you as a person haha

My ex failed like 2 or 3 times due to nervousness. Shes a great driver, she just got overly nervous and started shaking and shit. Dont do that!

You can do it man! I look foward to hearing how great you did on this undisclosed date you speak of

Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Hmmm. Where are you taking the test at? I took mine at a DMV in broward and it was easy as cake. It was in a small little course where they touched on all the daily stuff you would need to know/do. Best part was you didn't have to worry about traffic, just cones LOL I can't really give you tips because it all depends on how you do it, but I can give you a heads up on what they will test you on.

1) Stopping at a stop sign
(DO NOT PASS OR STOP ON THE WHITE LINE, MAKE SURE YOU LOOK BOTH WAYS, ALWAYS SIGNAL WHICHEVER WAY YOU ARE TURNING)

2) Emergency braking
(They make you speed up to 40, and then brake. Don't make it like super hard, but hard enough where you stop the car at a decent distance, say like no more than 15 feet)

3) Reverse
(They will make you reverse the same path you went for the emergency braking, its a bit of a stretch, but just try not to shake)

4) 3 point turn
(Just down go off the road and you are good, so take the test with a small car like a civic for example)

5) 3 way stop
(Again, do not stop on or pass over the white line, look to see if the road is clear, and signal if you are turning)

6) Pull into the parking lot
( Signal into the space you intend to park in)

I was flawless up until the parking space. It's a huge hit too, it was 3 points. After you have parked the tester will hand you the paper with all the stuff you had to do and it will show how you did in them, if you passed, then you can happily walk back into the DMV and take your pic(make sure you dress well), and you are on your merry way.

GL!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Oh yeah, in CA when you go through an intersection, they watch you to see if you look left and right as you pass through. They deduct points if you don't.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY
Hmmm. Where are you taking the test at? I took mine at a DMV in broward and it was easy as cake. It was in a small little course where they touched on all the daily stuff you would need to know/do. Best part was you didn't have to worry about traffic, just cones LOL I can't really give you tips because it all depends on how you do it, but I can give you a heads up on what they will test you on.

(DO NOT PASS OR STOP ON THE WHITE LINE, MAKE SURE YOU LOOK BOTH WAYS, ALWAYS SIGNAL WHICHEVER WAY YOU ARE TURNING)

2) Emergency braking
(They make you speed up to 40, and then brake. Don't make it like super hard, but hard enough where you stop the car at a decent distance, say like no more than 15 feet)

3) Reverse
(They will make you reverse the same path you went for the emergency braking, its a bit of a stretch, but just try not to shake)

4) 3 point turn
(Just down go off the road and you are good, so take the test with a small car like a civic for example)

5) 3 way stop
(Again, do not stop on or pass over the white line, look to see if the road is clear, and signal if you are turning)

I was flawless up until the parking space. It's a huge hit too, it was 3 points. After you have parked the tester will hand you the paper with all the stuff you had to do and it will show how you did in them, if you passed, then you can happily walk back into the DMV and take your pic(make sure you dress well), and you are on your merry way.

GL!
He said everything I was going to. Just be cool dude. I flew back from Germany and took my written and driving test after two days of puking and crapping my brains out from jet lag. If I can pass on the first try with that, you got this in the bag. Read your study material, and remember the info above. Be confident in your ability to functionally drive with all the adults in Florida that drive like crap. Good luck good sir.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Just go over the top with the carefulness.
I passed first try without any problems. Just drive normal, not TOO slow or anything. Just extra extra carefulness. When you merge especially, make sure you keep your blinker on untill all 4 wheels are in the lane(had a friend who failed from that), look over the shoulder, and of course use your mirrors.
Its retarded how strict they are.
Yeah, I drive fairly slow and with caution, for I see that the driving I see in my mind is far different from the driving that actually goes on, with all its perils and dangers, so I'm usually Mr.Careful. Check.

Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
x2 exactly that also don't get nervous, i let my dad drive on the way there and just a read an issue of SCC made it so easy, my mind was clear when i took the test and i only got 1 point, 25 are allowed...
Oh God, I hope I don't get too nervous, because I get nervous for everything. We'll see. Check.

Originally Posted by TOOL
Yeah.
Not being nervous plays a huge part in your performance.
I was nervous as shit, still managed to drive ok, i could have done better though heh.

Just pretend your driving with your parent, or your friend. Be friendly to the instructor person, make them like you as a person haha

My ex failed like 2 or 3 times due to nervousness. Shes a great driver, she just got overly nervous and started shaking and shit. Dont do that!

You can do it man! I look foward to hearing how great you did on this undisclosed date you speak of
Thanks for the support. Lol You were there for me on my first time on the highway, and now you are here for me now. <3 Lol

Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY

2) Emergency braking

3) Reverse

4) 3 point turn

5) 3 way stop

GL!
Mhmmm. This is just what I needed! I'm going to the DMV by FIU, so there is a ton of traffic to worry about. Sucks. And as far as everything that is going to be on there, this is great because this gives me about 3 weeks to practice whatever I suck at (parking). And as far as looking nice, that is going to probably be my biggest worry, because it is right after school!! Oh Lawd!

Originally Posted by mikejet
Oh yeah, in CA when you go through an intersection, they watch you to see if you look left and right as you pass through. They deduct points if you don't.
My dad makes me do that anyways!

Originally Posted by cab0053
3 point turn. go under the speed limit. don't cross any lines. In VA I couldn't pull out in front of anyone it they were less than 7 seconds away. stop at yellows. "proper" hand placement, I think it's 4 and 8 oclock now, bc of the airbags. 3 second stops. use turn signals for everything; like backing out of a parking spot.
Got it! Just have to keep most of that in mind (which I do anyways, but still).

THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 you guys!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
omg the one across the street? In the same plaza as publix? Hahaha that's hilarious. I always see them testing when I go to little ceasers. PM me the date, maybe I can come and support

Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 PM
ok. don't be like my friend who thought that he could smooth talk his way through the whole test and pass to find out he just ran a stop sign hahahahahaha

Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I drive fairly slow and with caution, for I see that the driving I see in my mind is far different from the driving that actually goes on, with all its perils and dangers, so I'm usually Mr.Careful. Check.

Oh God, I hope I don't get too nervous, because I get nervous for everything. We'll see. Check.

Thanks for the support. Lol You were there for me on my first time on the highway, and now you are here for me now. <3 Lol

Mhmmm. This is just what I needed! I'm going to the DMV by FIU, so there is a ton of traffic to worry about. Sucks. And as far as everything that is going to be on there, this is great because this gives me about 3 weeks to practice whatever I suck at (parking). And as far as looking nice, that is going to probably be my biggest worry, because it is right after school!! Oh Lawd!

My dad makes me do that anyways!

Got it! Just have to keep most of that in mind (which I do anyways, but still).

THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 you guys!
Heh, your new nick name is "The Stig J.R.". Everyone pretty much said it, just try to relax and drive careful like a pro. You have plenty of time to drive like an idiot and get tickets. I still think my parking job on my test was the best I've ever done (and that was in an early '90's suburban).

Good luck!!! You'll do fine!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:52 AM
as far as miami goes... its reverse(straight), three point turn, make sure both hands are on the wheel, park.. no parallel parking... just make sure you use your siganals.. thats it... the test is no more than once around a corner.. we have like the easiest test

Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Good news and bad news.

Good news is that my sister took her drivers license test yesterday (she is 2 years older than me and is maybe getting it 3 weeks before me) and she will help me.

Bad news refers to the maybe; I may have to cancel my test for a later date because money is tight, my parent can't afford to have me on the insurance (and my sister is on the insurance with a car coming soon) so I may have to wait a long time to get my license. Maybe.
While I'm here, I want to ask a question that could affect all this:
If you just have your drivers license, does that mean you automatically have to add yourself to your insurance, even though you don't have a car and rarely drive?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Good news and bad news.

Good news is that my sister took her drivers license test yesterday (she is 2 years older than me and is maybe getting it 3 weeks before me) and she will help me.

Bad news refers to the maybe; I may have to cancel my test for a later date because money is tight, my parent can't afford to have me on the insurance (and my sister is on the insurance with a car coming soon) so I may have to wait a long time to get my license. Maybe.
While I'm here, I want to ask a question that could affect all this:
If you just have your drivers license, does that mean you automatically have to add yourself to your insurance, even though you don't have a car and rarely drive?
You can have a license and no insurance. It just means you don't have a car to drive since you aren't specifically insured on a vehicle. There are exceptions that if you were to drive a family members car on a rare occasion it would still be covered since most claims wil allow for that.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
i was taught to always wear a visor so they can see your head turn.

yeah...definitely LOOOK everywhere every single time you go through an intersection.