Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Calling all computer freaks. SLi need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Calling all computer freaks. SLi need help

I posted this on the slizone forums but I was hoping that maybe someone on here would be able to help me as well.

Hey guys, new here to the forum!

I come to you in need of help/advice. I recently built myself a new gaming rig specifically for COD:W@W and have run into somewhat of a hiccup with my SLi setup.
Before I get into details of the issue, this is my setup (@ work. Typing from memory so I may be a little off. will update when I get home)
CPU - AMD 64 X2 5200+ dual core socket AM2 (going to overclock soon. First time OC'er too :tongue: )
Mobo - MSI K92 SLi V2
Ram - 2GB (can't remember the speed offhand. impulse buy lol)
VGPU - 2x XFX 9800GT's (512MB each)
HDD - 320GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 16MB Cache
P/S - Thermaltake Toughpower 750W SLi certified
OS - Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
note: This is the first time I've ever attempted running dual GPU's and I'm relatively noob at computers in general so please bear with me :biggrin:

OK...so here's my problem
When I'm playing COD or WoW. I get acceptable framerates (30-40) with setting MAXED (1680x1050 with 4x anti-aliasing, etc etc...). I wanted to see how much of a difference the SLi setup made. So I turned it off and ran in single GPU mode. When playing both games with single GPU's enabled (still max settings), I noticed an INCREASE in my FPS (up to about 60-65).
Being such a newb to SLI, I was completely puzzled. In my mind, SLi would offer significant improvements in framerates. I've tried disabling vertical sync to allow the GPU to not be restricted by the refresh rate and it has only offered marginal improvements.
I've heard that Vista is the culprit though according to Nvidia, the new drivers are now vista compatible with SLi. Could anyone please help me with this? Or at least point me in the right direction?
Thank you all very much. I apologize if this has been answered before but I did a quick search and was unable to find anything.

-Nick

New to SLi - framerate issues - SLI Zone Forums

TYIA if anyone is able to offer any input/help on this. It's driving me CRAZY!!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Fa1
My guess is that your resolution is too low to take advantage of both cards. I'm sure you will see a benefit in sli over a single card on a resolution say like 1920 x 1200

Old 12-09-2008, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
the max resolution of my monitor is 1680x1050 though.

and correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't SLi improve performance at any resolution?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Fa1
Not necessarily. Not all games are optimized for sli/crossfire.

Generally, the higher the resolution you'll be using, the more benefit you will see from sli/crossfire applications.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member

Old 12-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
what game are you playing that needs dual sli?

Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
COD4 and COD:World at War

Old 12-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
ahhhhh! that makes sense then. I have online buddies who have crazy set ups and only play cs 1.6 ROFL!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
There are 3 different type SLI, Split Frame Rendering, Alternate Frame Renderin, and SLI Antialiasing and also depend on the chip set...for you is the 570SLI nforce which is old comparing to the 780 for AMD...but why you see there a better FPS on one card comparing to dual b/c the brandwidth is faster when running one card at 16x compare to dual card which were the brandwidth is cut in half to share with the other PCI-E so it running 8x for each PCI-E casuing your FPS to drop but your antialiasing to run better in SLI and other compoments too. B/c in SLI mode it share the work load between two card rather then having one card stressing out..hope that answers your question...if you get the 590 SLI the preformace would much better on rendening videos...

Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
ahhhhh! that makes sense then. I have online buddies who have crazy set ups and only play cs 1.6 ROFL!
hahaha

I know a lot those guys!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
Not necessarily. Not all games are optimized for sli/crossfire.

Generally, the higher the resolution you'll be using, the more benefit you will see from sli/crossfire applications.

but those games are like from the stone age!! hahaha

Old 12-10-2008, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azncarbos
There are 3 different type SLI, Split Frame Rendering, Alternate Frame Renderin, and SLI Antialiasing and also depend on the chip set...for you is the 570SLI nforce which is old comparing to the 780 for AMD...but why you see there a better FPS on one card comparing to dual b/c the brandwidth is faster when running one card at 16x compare to dual card which were the brandwidth is cut in half to share with the other PCI-E so it running 8x for each PCI-E casuing your FPS to drop but your antialiasing to run better in SLI and other compoments too. B/c in SLI mode it share the work load between two card rather then having one card stressing out..hope that answers your question...if you get the 590 SLI the preformace would much better on rendening videos...

thanks for the info. quick question though...

forgive my nubbery but, which component is this "570SLI nforce" associated with? I'm assuming it's my mobo but I'd just like to clarify.

If so, I'd be willing to get a new Mobo to fix this problem (I can't stand MSI's BIOS!!!!!). So what mobo would you recommend?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrKelso
thanks for the info. quick question though...

forgive my nubbery but, which component is this "570SLI nforce" associated with? I'm assuming it's my mobo but I'd just like to clarify.

If so, I'd be willing to get a new Mobo to fix this problem (I can't stand MSI's BIOS!!!!!). So what mobo would you recommend?
The 570SLI is apart of the mobo is the North bridge that control the PCI-E, network, memory and etc.

I hate MSI to start off with! Any recommendation for AMD....I haven't had a AMD mobo since 939 socket with the FX60! Back then I was AMD fan boy! Now a days a lot company are leaving AMD, till they start showing something worth investing in.... I would recommend going with 590SLI which is step up from your and offer full 16x brandwidth in SLI mode! Company wise I woud recommend going with Asus, it your best bet....hope that clear some of your question.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Ya I've always had good experiences with asus. This is actually my first non-asus mobo.

Time to shop around again I guess lol

Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Good luck with your search!!! I would try tigerdirect shipping only 1.99! plus they offer some of the best deal too!

If all fail...You can go intel! hahaha

Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Fa1
Or forget all this nonsense and get say an HD4870!

Can be had pretty cheap nowadays.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Crossfire FTL!!! hahahaha SLI FTW!!! 9800gx2!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azncarbos
Good luck with your search!!! I would try tigerdirect shipping only 1.99! plus they offer some of the best deal too!

If all fail...You can go intel! hahaha

tigerdirect has a store about 5 minutes from my house.

$0 same day "shipping" (I just go pick it up)

. : Edit : .
what y'all think of this one? A bit out of my price range but I can just save up for it I guess instead of putting it towards my suspension/wheels

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...963&CatId=2320

Last edited by DrKelso; 12-11-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
new question...

So my computer keeps freezing up on me. I don't get the ole' BSOD but my display just locks up.

Could it be my video cards? Or maybe my memory timing/voltage?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
That may be the best out for AMD!!! I would so get that!! But it up to you if you need all the features....for the extra $$

it can be a lot stuff....memory....HDD...OS and programs sometime the Anti-virus...etc but check the memory first...

Quick Reply: Calling all computer freaks. SLi need help