Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Goodbye to a great friend

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Goodbye to a great friend

I had to have my 19 year old cat Thomas put to sleep this morning and it has been a hard day. He was sick for several weeks and two vets could not decide what exactly was going on with his declining health. He has had steroid shots, antibitotics and IV fluids. Last night he was worst and this morning when I looked into his eyes, I knew that it was time to stop trying. We did the only thing we could, which was to let him go.

Cat

Old 09-13-2008, 04:04 PM
sorry to hear about your, im closer to mine then half my family.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Cat
I had to have my 19 year old cat Thomas put to sleep this morning and it has been a hard day. He was sick for several weeks and two vets could not decide what exactly was going on with his declining health. He has had steroid shots, antibitotics and IV fluids. Last night he was worst and this morning when I looked into his eyes, I knew that it was time to stop trying. We did the only thing we could, which was to let him go.

Cat
I had to do the same favor for TWO 18-year old male cats, about 1 month apart (including at least a month of subcutaneous fluids, at home for both cats because they wouldn't drink). When there is no quality of life left, you are doing them the best favor that you can.

Sorry about your loss,

Old 09-13-2008, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
you did the right thing Cat.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
sorry about your loss <3 i lost my cat last year very suddenly, she fell off my computer desk and poked a hole in her chest and it filled with fluids, vets tried but she didnt make it ;/ 7 years old. sucks losing a good friend. hope you feel better soon...you did the right thing.

my 14 year old cat is getting that way too, everything freaks her out now. poops in random places, i have to pick her up and put her int he litter box and pet her til she calms down enough to go sometimes. ;/

Old 09-13-2008, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
sorry to hear about that i have a 19 year old tortoise shell cat and her heath is going down. i will hate to see her go, sorry for your loss

Old 09-13-2008, 05:22 PM
sucks

Originally Posted by Cat
I had to have my 19 year old cat Thomas put to sleep this morning and it has been a hard day.
It's been a little over 3 years since I had to have my Doberman put to sleep. These are always hard times. I'd like to have another cat or dog but I'm the primary caregiver to my 88 year old mother with Parkinson's and you can only care for so much. It's hard to get used to the "empty places" and the lack of the unconditional love. You did the right thing.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Oh Damn!

I can't even think how bad that feels. My dog (Fit co-pilot) is 16 and half blind/half deaf, the tosser sleeps most of the day (this being Sat and me being lazy he has not left my side while I watch movies). My cat is about 15 or 16 (it's my GF's cat, outlived 4 other animals and 1 man in this house). I know the days are numbered, but I can't even begin to imagine either of them going.

We used to have a pair of brothers that we called Lenny & George, they had different fathers but the mom was a stray that decided my GF's closet was good birthing ground then she split .

Anyway, we kept two from the litter (friends took the rest, no shelters) Spider & bhagavad, bhagii for short. Spider was the slim smart one & bhagavad was this big fat Norwegian forest cat loved that tuna lump! The fat one was a bit off from day one, then one night Spider goes out...(we live in the burbs and the cats regularly bring us "presents" like dead bats & rabit livers). Spider goes out one night and never comes back, over the next few days, bhagavad his brother heads out the cat door every morning and comes back around 6ish, filthy, bloody from racoon fights & he starts running madd rounds jumpig on tables and knocking everything over. It was really disturbing.

I was not living here at the time, but a decision was made by "others" that it was time to put bhagavad down. I searched for a new home for him, but it just didn't happen. This was in about '05ish, so I couldn't have asked FitFreaks.

<end thread jack>

Sorry about that.

19 is a really lucky lifespan my friend.

We never like it, but the others are right. We hate making the decision in the end though, it's best for the lill' critters we love.

I toast to your loss.

-C-
[no really, i like animals]

Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 PM
My deepest condolence Cat. Sorry to hear about your loss. RIP Thomas.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:54 PM
When I lost my Chocolate Lab "Blossom" it broke my heart. Sorry to hear about your loss but it will get better. New pets don't replace but they do give you new love Now I have a Basset Hound and a Black Lab and they are my baby girls

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Cat

Cat
My prayers are with you. I know exactly how you feel. I lost my cat (Karma) last Xmas. She was 17 yrs of age and I had her since she was 6 weeks old. Pets are family, and to some people they are all the family they have.

As cliche' as it sounds...time really does heal the sadness. Rejoice for the time you had with Thomas.

Hugs and support to you.

Damon

Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, Cat.
Losing a pet is really almost the same as losing a family member.
Our lives with our pets are like our lives with our parents: we know all along that we are most likely going to outlive them, but when the time comes, we aren't prepared for it.
The good news is that grief will subside, replaced by good memories.
Have a better day, my friend.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Really sorry to hear about this, but like everyone else said you did the right thing for your cat. My heart goes out to you.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your loss..I had to do the same thing with my dog a few years ago..had him since I was in 2nd grade. :/

Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm sorry for your loss cat.

It sounds like you did everything you could to keep Thomas comfortable.

I'm an ear if you need one.

LBW

Old 09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Cat

Cat
I'm sorry Cat We lost our cat in April; she was hit by a car and was basically paralyzed and gravely injured, so we had to put her down. She was only a little over a year old, too. It always hurts to lose a pet. My thoughts are with you.