Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Learning to drive on the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
Learning to drive on the highway?

As most of you dont know, i cant drive (on my own!!) and my dad wants me to start driving on the highway. I am very nervous about doing it and i was wondering if i could get some help from the helpful people here. Tips, stories anything like that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Retired Moderator
Haha,i was where your at very recently. I got my license in March, on my 16th b-day haha. I was on the freeway a month after i got my permit. I was kinda freaked, but really dude its easy. Easier then dealing with city traffic. If you can merge you can drive freeway. Just when your getting on the freeway, make sure your up to speed. Thats really important.
I was with my friend the first time she got on the freeway and she didnt gain enough speed and we almost got killed my a semi haha. Not cool.

Tyler

Old 07-22-2008, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
My b-day is in march too, and i got my permit like 2 weeks after (stupid school work) and i've been driving to school and around the neighborhood, but i go to practice golf like 12 miles away and i need to take the highway and me dad always asks me to drive and im like "uhhhhhhhhh NOOO!"

Old 07-22-2008, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Eventually you just have to say screw it and go on the freeway. Stay away from Starbucks at first so you're not wired. Go with the flow of traffic and check those mirrors. If it helps calm you down at first, bring a rabbits foot or something.

GL

Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
omg.....this is actually a thread?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Haha you can do it man. Yeah just check the mirrors and look over your shoulder. I look over my shoulder almost everytime i change lanes, just a double check to make sure there isnt a car hiding in my blind spot.

Tyler

Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit
omg.....this is actually a thread?
No its not, your just seeing things.

Tyler

Old 07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
its easy, first time i learned to drive was on 95 north from maryland to upstate new york in a 2000 ford windstar(like a 10 hour drive), just got my learners mom was passed out drunk in the passenger seat. (was 16 then)i did just fine, drove for several hours...once you get out there just remember to stay calm and pay attention, you will be fine. dont make it out to be a big deal and it wont be. good luck! i think it would probably be best to try it when its not rush hour, because in the slow lane all those cars that merge onto the highway do it from the right side of the high way(slow lane) and that can be a little tricky deciding wether to slow down and let them in or if you need to get over a lane and then back over. youll get the hang of it tho. gl again.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
I'm actually glad that you're asking and getting information. I wish more poeple took driving seriously. Here's my tips:

1. Highway driving is all about flow. To maintain flow for yourself and others you need to drive a constant speed that is the same as others around you. Pulse and gliders on the highway create HUGE ripples in the flow and hours later can have traffic slamming on their brakes miles away.

2. Stay out of the left lane unless you're passing. This is self explanatory, but many don't get it. The left lane is not for going faster, it's for passing. Once you've completed the pass, move back over to the right.

3. Merge onto the highway at or near the speed limit.

4. Allow others to merge onto the highway at or near the speed limit. In most cases moving to the left is the easiest way. When there's traffic blocking that ability speed up or slow down as little as possible to allow the other person to merge.

5. Don't follow too close or too far behind. This is very relative to your traffic situations. I grew up in S FL where the normal following distance even at 70 is only about 2 car lengths. Any less than that and the person in front of you will be upset and any less than that and someone else is going to merge into that spot and shrink the gap anyway. In Atlanta the gap is less than a car and no one slows down for ANYTHING. You'll have to play this one by ear, but don't be scared. Follow the rythm around you.

Don't be scared. Once you've driven as many highway miles as I have (over 500,000) you get to where you enjoy highway driving and can predict with fairly good accuracy what's going to happen long before there's ever a problem.

Happy motoring!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 PM
superb points!

Originally Posted by GAFIT
I'm actually glad that you're asking and getting information. I wish more people took driving seriously. Here's my tips:

1. Highway driving is all about flow. To maintain flow for yourself and others you need to drive a constant speed that is the same as others around you. Pulse and gliders on the highway create HUGE ripples in the flow and hours later can have traffic slamming on their brakes miles away.

2. Stay out of the left lane unless you're passing. This is self explanatory, but many don't get it. The left lane is not for going faster, it's for passing. Once you've completed the pass, move back over to the right.

3. Merge onto the highway at or near the speed limit.

4. Allow others to merge onto the highway at or near the speed limit. In most cases moving to the left is the easiest way. When there's traffic blocking that ability speed up or slow down as little as possible to allow the other person to merge.

5. Don't follow too close or too far behind. This is very relative to your traffic situations. I grew up in S FL where the normal following distance even at 70 is only about 2 car lengths. Any less than that and the person in front of you will be upset and any less than that and someone else is going to merge into that spot and shrink the gap anyway. In Atlanta the gap is less than a car and no one slows down for ANYTHING. You'll have to play this one by ear, but don't be scared. Follow the rythm around you.

Don't be scared. Once you've driven as many highway miles as I have (over 500,000) you get to where you enjoy highway driving and can predict with fairly good accuracy what's going to happen long before there's ever a problem.

Happy motoring!
One of the most thoughtful posts I've ever seen at fitfreaks! The highway would be a better place if everyone followed your tips. I'm not holding my breath however!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for being so helpful (except GD3-Fit. j/k). You all have been really nice and have great tips and stuff on how to make highway driving a little bit easier. Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:08 PM
I would say go the speed limit and if you plan on going slower stay in the right lane if you plan on going faster then stay in the left lane. Make sure to get up to speed when you getting on the highway. Be careful not to stay to close to people.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Be defensive, not aggressive and go with the flow of traffic.

Lots of crazies out there going 10mph faster than the flow, usually in trucks or something.

Oh, and be aware of the "bumblebees". I've encountered a good bit of those crazy sportbikers and they aren't exactly cautious for others' lives or for their own. At least, that's my experience.
*waits for someone who drives sport bikes to say "HEY I don't do that blah blah blah"*

Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned
I got my license in January and driving on highway is probably easiest part of driving. As long as you pay attention to other drivers and try to anticipate their moves you will be fine.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
far easier!

Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
I got my license in January and driving on highway is probably easiest part of driving.
It IS easier!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
gonna get a lot of mixed ideas...i wouldnt be too defensive, that can be really dangerous too, sometimes you have to get agressive and make the right move....especially if you live in the city, you live in florida so you might. defensive drivers here in DC cause a lot of accidents thinking they are being safe, but really they are pissing people off and getting in their way and causing them to take rediculous actions. sometimes it is best to be defensive...use your best judgement depending on where you live and how traffic is there.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi and congratulations!

I would say no tailgating that goes without saying and stay in the right lane (the right lane is a better place for you to start out in just in case you get a little nervous, you can get off the nearest exit) until your comfortable with the flow of traffic and can get a feel for how people are driving.

Best wishes to you.

Highway driving will grow on ya & you'll be fine so don't sweat it.

LBW

Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Another good tip is to also anticipate what other drivers might do. If you think the other driver is going to merge in your lane to pass another vehicle or do something else, they just might do it. Always anticipate.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
All great advise and you'll do just fine! Remember to monitor your rear view mirror every once in a while and your side mirrors so you kinda keep track of those around you. Also if your driving the Fit and a 18 wheeler flies by expect the car to give you a little shimmy from the suction! You'll get use to it.

Cat

Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Eh, I remember those days of being intimidated by the Highway. The whole merging in part, people being dicks and such. Give yourself a few times and you won't even think about it.