Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

The First 48 - Lester Street

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
The First 48 - Lester Street

Anybody else watch it last night? This episode dealt with the worst mass murder ever to occur in Memphis or all of Tennessee for that matter. Four adults and 2 children were killed and 3 other childen including an infact were savagely attacked with knives and clubs of wood. It was eventually determined that 1 man, the brother of the first victim, killed them all.

Lt. Toney Armstrong was incredible in his brilliant extraction of a confession from Jessie Dotson. He had that man broke down.

It was sad to watch. My wife cried a lot.

But the determination of this department was inspiring. Even though they had so many dead-end tips given to them.

I liked the fact that Lt. Armstrong, from the begining did not think the GDs would do something like this. It just did not fit the profile.

The opinion of the unknown former GD that this could have been a 'blackout' was unnerving though. To think, these gangs have the organization to even have a contigency plan such as a 'blackout' is chilling.

Overall, it's not this show that makes Memphis look bad. It's the criminals that make Memphis look bad. This show makes Memphis look tough on crime and those who commit those crimes. The fact the city canceled the contract with A&E is a step backward for Memphis.

I wrote a letter to the editor of the Commercial Appeal, our regional newspaper. If it gets published it'll be I think the 5th letter of mine to be published. I'll link it if they do.

Last edited by Sid 6.7; 07-16-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
They just called and said they are printing my letter tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Well, it didn't get printed today. Odd, maybe tomorrow then.

I guess I'll go ahead and post the letter here anyway.

Letter to the Editor *

Tuesday night, I watched, as I’m sure many Memphians did, the A&E show “The First 48”. This particular episode was centered around the horrific events that transpired in that small house on Lester Street that transfixed Memphis earlier this year.

Watching this episode, I could not help but feel pride, anguish and frustration. These tragic heroes in the Memphis Police Department’s Homicide Division have a thankless job, and this medium was giving recognition to their dedication and determination when solving the most heinous crimes.

Their professionalism and unrelenting pursuit of criminals, who take our loved ones away from us, is inspiring. I feel safer and encouraged knowing how thorough they would perform their investigation if the unthinkable were to happen to one of my loved ones.

And without “The First 48” we would not know of their deeds. The cancellation of the city’s contract with A&E is a step backwards for Memphis. My own personal opinion is that it really had less to do with money or image, and more to do with local media’s, both televised and printed, professional jealousy over being excluded from the kind of “behind-the-scenes” access that A&E enjoyed following the detectives 24/7. Shame on them. Instead of being envious, you should be applauding the actions of the Department.

Without “The First 48” we would have never seen the incredible interrogation of the alleged executioner of those 6 people on Lester street. Lt. Toney Armstrong was amazing. His technique of both sympathizing and empathizing with Jessie Dotson, and then his verbal assault that led to Mr. Dotson’s confession was the most intense scene I had ever seen on this program. Lt. Armstrong is a credit to his department, his community, and this city.

And to think that greediness and envy will now prevent Memphians and others from being witness to this level of dedication and determination is disheartening and discouraging.

It’s not this show that makes Memphis look bad. It’s the criminals that make Memphis look bad. “The First 48” made Memphis look good. Memphis looked tough, and in the hands of these fine officers, Memphis looked relentless in its pursuit of those who take the peace away from our streets, and the loved ones from our lives.

Jason Hill

Old 07-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Killing kids don't play well in tha joint.

And his biggest problem: he blamed it all on the GDs. Soon as gets to gen-pop, them GDs gonna serve him.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
They printed it today. They edited it some. But the most important parts are there intact. Interesting.

Jealousy threatens 'The First 48' : Letters to the Editor : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Jealousy threatens 'The First 48'

By Staff Reports

Friday, July 18, 2008

As I watched the A&E show "The First 48" about the horrific events in a small house on Lester Street that transfixed Memphis earlier this year, I felt pride, anguish and frustration. The heroes in the Memphis Police Department's Homicide Division have a thankless job, and this program recognized their dedication and determination in solving the most heinous crimes. I feel safer and encouraged knowing how thoroughly they would perform their investigation if the unthinkable were to happen to one of my loved ones.

Without "The First 48," we would not know of their deeds. The cancellation of the city's contract with A&E is a step backwards for Memphis. I believe it had less to do with money or image and more to do with professional jealousy by local media, both televised and print, over being excluded from the "behind the scenes" access that A&E had following the detectives 24/7. Shame on them. Instead of being envious, they should be applauding the actions of the department.

Without "The First 48" we would never have seen the incredible interrogation of the alleged executioner of those six people on Lester Street. Maj. Toney Armstrong was amazing. His technique of both sympathizing and empathizing with Jessie Dotson, and then his verbal assault that led to Dotson's confession, was the most intense scene I had ever seen on this program.

And to think that greediness and envy may now prevent Memphians and others from witnessing this level of dedication and determination is disheartening and discouraging.

It's not this show that makes Memphis look bad. It's the criminals who make Memphis look bad. "The First 48" made Memphis look good. Memphis looked tough, and in the hands of these fine officers, Memphis looked relentless in its pursuit of those who take the peace away from our streets, and the loved ones from our lives.

Jason Hill

Memphis

Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
i did not get to see that episode i wish i did, i cannot even fathom how someone could do such a thing to anyone and to be family is even more far fetched

Old 07-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
good job with your letter?
5 already?
sheesh!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Some closure. Jessie Dotson was convicted of 6 counts of first degree murder and sentenced to death this week.